THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 1:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2023 6:49 pm 

I think we were deserving of a point, but flattered to deceive for certainly half of that game.

Pompey were really at us first half, pressed well and restricted us to precious little. Deserved their goal and I felt they were way on top.

Second half we were much much better, and deserved the goal. In the past this season we've struggled to get back into games so was nice to see us battle our way to at least a point. You can say all you want about them having ten men, and could've beaten us with 11 but context is everything. They DID have ten men, and we capitalised. That should be te only thing that matters.

I'm pleased with a point but I'm now feeling like we need a point bare minimum at Derby. I'd have almost rather we won either one of these two and lost the other, end of the day 3 points is the max. But a draw and a defeat will be tough to take... either way, as I said, context is everything and if I walk out if Pride Park with a point in a few days and the game surrounding it means I'm happy, I'll take it.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:05 am 

The move at the end where Piggot hit the bar ... that would have gone down well on the AFC forum if their ex hero had scored.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:18 am 

I agree with most of what has been said.

I thought we were way off it in the first half. Very little purpose or effort to make life difficult for Portsmouth. We looked dozy and deserved to be one or more down.

The second half was not a classic either. We were ponderous and wasteful with the ball most of the time. We absolutely lacked quality everywhere except for McEchran who was the only MOTM candidate in my view.

The sending off clearly gave us a lifeline. So thanks to Harvie and his shithousing. I had no inkling that a red card was in prospect, but some Pompey fans who saw it said it was the right decision.

We needed that luck (in our favour for a nice change). Eisa took his goal well. If only he could learn to control the ball better he should have had two more. His first touches in the box were woeful.

I thought the officials were a cut above most we’ve seen. Their errors were relatively light and reasonably balanced for both sides. Mainly 3 or 4 wrong calls for throw-ins and corners. Otherwise I thought the ref ran the match really well. Resisted giving Pompey players cards when he could avoid them but wasn’t indecisive when they were needed. Wasn’t fooled by antics from either side, despite protestations from both teams.

As for the Portsmouth fans, it looked like they enjoyed their day out. Not as noisy as other clubs with large followings and silent for long periods. We just had to stomach the tedium while they sang their one song.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2023 8:55 am 

As others have said without the red card we weren't getting anything and it again demonstrates that we are so far off the top half teams it is scary, I hope people aren't fooled by the upturn in form, obviously it is great if we avoid relegation but when you look back and see the only teams we can beat are those below us it doesn't bode well for next year.
My biggest fear at the moment is it looks like a few teams are 'on the beach' meaning bonus points for teams playing them, I suspect we may need at least 6 more points from somewhere.