THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:29 am 

THE CAZBAR BIG GAME PREVIEW - PORTSMOUTH
GOOD FRIDAY – KICK OFF 3pm
Good Morning All, and thanks for once again tuning into the Big Game Preview sponsored by The CazBar, and also thanks for the 1,000 hits we are getting on a regular basis across the platforms plus the great comments we are receiving, one of which suggested we get our own YouTube channel, well I can’t see that happening again, we tried that, so it’s a case of “Got the T shirt”, but never say never, who knows what the future holds, we might just go head to head next season and let the fans decide.

As a few of you will know I wasn’t around last week as I embarked on a whirlwind tour of Devon & Cornwall with the Boss which included a night in chokey. I didn’t go kicking and screaming and the incarceration was voluntary at the Bodmin Jail Hotel, a strange place with a unique setting and feeling, and if you are down in that neck of the woods it’s certainly worth checking out, well I liked it, although it did freak the Boss out a bit who drew the line at slopping out first thing.

So, with me being “Off Grid” last weekend so to speak I’m relying on what limited footage I can find, plus comments from social media to piece together some sort of a summary and opinion on what happened at Adams Park on Saturday, so forgive me if I appear to be a bit vague.

I think if offered before kick off most of us would have been satisfied with a share of the spoils, and to get back into a game that we had surrendered the lead in especially at the home of our Bucks rivals and potential playoff candidates we should be even more pleased, I’ll venture a few weeks ago we would have capitulated to an embarrassing final score, so this is a step in the right direction and a another point closer to avoiding relegation, but a note of caution, we are not home and dry just yet.

Before kicking off we got the encouraging news that Anthony Stewart was to finally make his debut for the Dons somewhat ironically against the team he had made over 200 appearances for, so it was disappointing to hear some of the small-minded locals give him such an unsavoury welcome after such good service over 7 seasons.

Backed by nearly 900 noisy Dons fans we got off to a bright start with Harvie calmly side footing into the net an intelligent pull back from Grant to send the travelling fans crazy, but the joy was short lived as former Don Wheeler escaped the attentions of Stewart and nodded home from a perfectly weighted ball from top Wycombe provider Jacobson.

The game settled after that with both sides cautious of over committing and it took until 10 minutes into the 2nd half for Wycombe to get their noses in front, and it was Wheeler again who lashed the ball past Cumming as it broke to him after a freekick routine appeared to have stalled.

I’m told at both times of conceding we looked a bit ragged, lost our shape a bit and got a bit panicky, but I’m pleased to say we regained our composure rather than retreat back into our shells and forced a deserved equaliser from the dancing feet of the enigma that is Jonathan Leko.

I’ve mentioned before that Leko is a bit like an upgraded version of Daniel Powell, he twists and turns and runs at defences causing panic, nobody knows what’s coming and I doubt he knows either, but a surging run into the box broke down with 20 minutes left on the clock, Wycombe failed to clear the ball and once again Leko picked up the ball on the edge of the box, he cut inside three defenders and fired home low into the bottom corner to bring further chaos in the away end.

So, a well-deserved point on the road against a team chasing a playoff spot, you can’t deny it’s a definite improvement.

I can’t really give any individual credits to players, as I’ve mentioned I wasn’t there, but if social media is to be believed (is it ever) I’ve seen a few positive comments for McEachran, Maghoma, Lewie, Tucker, and of course Leko who we have already mentioned. I also noted that after a shaky start Stewart received one or two good comments, so it looks like he warmed to the task as it went on, and his experience in the weeks to come will possibly be invaluable.

Moving on swiftly then, we have a similar task at the weekend when we face Pompey at SMK on Good Friday……yes don’t forget it’s a Friday 3pm kick off.

Pompey are 3 points off the playoffs and just returning to form with 10 points gained from the last possible 12 points on offer although you could argue 6 of those points have come against relegation strugglers Accrington and Forest Green, with 3 more coming against Bristol Rovers and a draw against Port Vale.
The league records of the Dons and Pompey are below with the Dons home record and the Pompey away record also shown.

MK Dons (19th) – P 39, W 11, D 7, L 21, GF 36, GA 56, Pts 40.
Pompey (9th) – P 39, W 16, D 13, L 10, GF 54, GA 44, Pts 61.
MK Dons (H) (23rd) – P 19, W 4, D 4, L 11, GF 13, GA 25, Pts 16.
Pompey (A) (5th) – P 19, W 8, D 4, L 7, GF 23, GA 24, Pts 28.

Pompey arrive at SMK after a dour 1-0 win at home against Forest Green Rovers on Saturday where they struggled to break down a well marshalled back five formation and finally managed to score when a deep cross to the back post was headed home by Owen Dale.

As their record above shows they have won 8 games on the road in the league against Port Vale, Cheltenham, Burton Albion, Forest Green, Fleetwood Town, Bristol Rovers, Accrington, and Cambridge United, so no big scalps there.

On the flip side their 7 defeats away from Fratton Park have been at the hands of Charlton Athletic, Ipswich Town, Wycombe Wanderers, Peterborough United, Bolton Wanderers, Plymouth Argyle, and Barnsley, for the record the 4 draws have come against Lincoln City, Exeter City, Sheffield Wednesday and surprisingly Morecambe.

I think if we take those results into account plus their home record it’s reasonable to say they are slightly better than average but only a slight chance of playoff promotion.

Our record against Pompey is encouraging winning four out of our last five meetings with that narrow FA Cup defeat the only blot on our copybook.

The full record is shown below with all games being League 1 unless stated, with hardly a fag paper between the two teams.

2012/13 – MK Dons 2 Portsmouth 2 (Own Goal, Potter)
2012/13 – Portsmouth 1 MK Dons 1 (S Williams)
2017/18 – Portsmouth 2 MK Dons 0
2017/18 – MK Dons 1 Portsmouth 2 (Ugbo)
2019/20 – MK Dons 3 Portsmouth 1 (Healey, McGrandles, Gilbey)
2019/20 – Portsmouth 3 MK Dons 1 (Gilbey)
2020/21 – Portsmouth 2 MK Dons 1 (Fraser)
2020/21 – MK Dons 1 Portsmouth 0 (Fraser)
2021/22 – MK Dons 1 Portsmouth 0 (Robson)
2021/22 – Portsmouth 1 MK Dons 2 (Eisa, Corbeanu)
2022/23 – Portsmouth 3 MK Dons 2 (FAC) (Burns, Eisa)
2022/23 – Portsmouth 0 MK Dons 2 (Johnson, Tucker)
Total Record – P 12, W 5, D 2, L 5, GF 17, GA 17.

Our last game versus Pompey came the weekend before Christmas when the rudderless Dons had to be led by Interim Coach Lewie following the sacking of Liam Manning after 5 straight defeats in the league. The 2-0 victory was secured by goals from Johnson who nodded home a Connor Grant cross following a short corner routine, and the nail in the coffin was supplied by Jack Tucker who forced the ball home after Pompey failed to clear another corner, incidentally that was Tucker’s first and so far only MK goal.

Looking at Portsmouth their main man in front of goal is former Accy Stan striker Colby Bishop with a more than impressive 23 goals so far this season and keeping him quiet is going to be key to this game, as is stopping the supply line from top assists man Owen Dale.

They have no real preferred formation, seemingly content to adapt to the opposition threat and also depending on if they are home or away, they can easily go 3 at the back as 5, and equally 3 up front as well as 1 with of course Bishop the ever present striker.

The merry-go-round of managers at Portsmouth sees John Mousinho as the latest incumbent as they repeatedly seek the perfect formulae and promotion.

Since the millennium Pompey have had 19 managers plus 7 caretaker managers, and that considers 3 seasons of Harry Redknapp and 4 seasons of Kenny Jackett, you can only conclude its total madness.

Danny Cowley started the season in charge but was sacked two days into the New Year after a string of poor results and in came 36 year old Mousinho for his first job as a gaffer three weeks after Cowley’s departure.

As a midfield player Mousinho started playing at Chesham Utd and had spells at the gloriously named Notre Dame Fighting Irish, Brentford, Woking, Slough Town, Yeading, Wycombe, Stevenage, Preston North End, Gillingham, Stevenage for a second spell, Burton Albion, and finally Oxford United. In total he played 544 games and scored 27 goals.

His managerial record is decent but it’s still not propelled Pompey into a playoff berth, his record stands at P 16, W 9, D 3, L 4 with a +9 GD and a Win Ratio of 56%.

Betting – There’s not much in this betting wise with the bookies unsure who to make favourites with favouritism flip flopping on a daily basis.
MK Dons 28/17, Draw 12/5, Portsmouth 7/4.

Team News – It looks like everyone came out of the game versus Wycombe ok, but the club keep their cards close to their chests these days, so we are unlikely to hear anything until kick off.

One piece of good news came out last week that Warren O’Hora is back on the grass and still might make an appearance before the end of the season despite it being previously written off.

Prediction – The million dollar question, but with both clubs having an identical record over the last 5 games, nothing in the betting, and history unable to separate us even to the degree of a single goal, the most logical prediction is a draw, so I will go for a 1-1 draw.

Just to finish off, we need to look over our shoulders at the following games taking place this holiday weekend.

Accrington Stanley v Port Vale
Burton Albion v Barnsley
Cambridge Utd v Fleetwood Town
Forest Green v Derby County
Morecambe v Plymouth Argyle
Oxford Utd v Sheffield Wednesday

That’s all for this week, don’t forget we play again on Monday, away to Derby County.

Come On You Dons.

8-) WD