THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 8:11 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:48 am 

I'm torn on Jacko to be honest.

I like him in some ways and the way he speaks but ultimately he failed the brief. And other than Barnsley I didn't see much of the attacking football expected after his Plymouth interview.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:50 am 

Towcestrian wrote:
I'm torn on Jacko to be honest.

I like him in some ways and the way he speaks but ultimately he failed the brief. And other than Barnsley I didn't see much of the attacking football expected after his Plymouth interview.

Pretty much exactly how I feel.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 9:56 am 

I think you always need to put yourself in the shoes of whoever is responsible for sacking someone. Without that, we're not taking into account the human element of dismissing someone from their job.

It's so easy to sack someone, when you don't know them personally or when you're not the one making the ultimate decision. We're a lower league club, where the chairman will have a strong relationship with the manager, unlike teams like chelsea, Utd etc who are much more cutthroat.

Could you sit Jackson down right now and tell him he's fired? That he's losing his job and will have no income? Has he been poor enough to deserve that? I'm not so sure he has.

We played brilliant football against Morecambe, but ultimately the players on the pitch couldn't put the ball in the back of the net. I think Jackson deserves a pre-season at least and then see how he gets on. I think he'll need results quickly though.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:32 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
I think you always need to put yourself in the shoes of whoever is responsible for sacking someone. Without that, we're not taking into account the human element of dismissing someone from their job.

It's so easy to sack someone, when you don't know them personally or when you're not the one making the ultimate decision. We're a lower league club, where the chairman will have a strong relationship with the manager, unlike teams like chelsea, Utd etc who are much more cutthroat.

Could you sit Jackson down right now and tell him he's fired? That he's losing his job and will have no income? Has he been poor enough to deserve that? I'm not so sure he has.

We played brilliant football against Morecambe, but ultimately the players on the pitch couldn't put the ball in the back of the net. I think Jackson deserves a pre-season at least and then see how he gets on. I think he'll need results quickly though.

He's been in the job for 5 months and failed to keep us up. Dan Micciche was a well loved character around the place for years previously and did exactly the same, and got sacked for it.

If Winkelman can't sack a guy he's known for a few months for failing to do his job, then I'm moving closer to the Winkie Out brigade.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:40 am 

Also think we're very very quick to sympathise with people because they're likeable. If the bloke had a tone of a Keith Millen, Robbie Neilson, Paul Tisdale, I don't think we would be as sympathetic.

I really like the bloke. And wish it could/could still work out because he's got the character of everything this fanbase seems to desire. But once snake boy fucked off I have long since sympathised or emotionally tied to a manager, even Manning, until they prove it long term. He's done nothing over the past few months warrant me wanting to see him stay. He hasn't got a track record that gives me confidence he'll pick us up.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:42 am 

DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

He's been in the job for 5 months and failed to keep us up. Dan Micciche was a well loved character around the place for years previously and did exactly the same, and got sacked for it.

If Winkelman can't sack a guy he's known for a few months for failing to do his job, then I'm moving closer to the Winkie Out brigade.

I don't think you can put Jackson and Micciche in the same bucket. Granted they both ended up with the club in the same fate; relegated but Jackson is a better manager than Micciche is/was. We've actually played some good football under Jackson. We were brilliant against Morecambe but just couldn't score. I don't recall us ever playing well under Micciche.

I'm not Jackson in or out to be honest, I just feel neither decision is an easy one. My major concern with Jackson is him going into next season with his head down. He seems quite the emotional type. If there is any risk of that, we need a complete refresh to the entire backroom team.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:44 am 

It isn't Winkie's call to sack Jackson anymore though, it is Sweetings... That is the director of football model. Pete is much more hands off now than he has ever been.

I'm sure Pete could intervene but if Sweeting wants Jackson to stay on then Pete stepping in damages their working relationship. Although who is to say Sweeting isn't facing the chop himself.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 10:59 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

I don't think you can put Jackson and Micciche in the same bucket. Granted they both ended up with the club in the same fate; relegated but Jackson is a better manager than Micciche is/was. We've actually played some good football under Jackson. We were brilliant against Morecambe but just couldn't score. I don't recall us ever playing well under Micciche.

I'm not Jackson in or out to be honest, I just feel neither decision is an easy one. My major concern with Jackson is him going into next season with his head down. He seems quite the emotional type. If there is any risk of that, we need a complete refresh to the entire backroom team.

A Youth Team Coach that has come into his first management job in senior men's football.
Didn't really improve performances.
Failed in his remit to survive the drop.

There's plenty of similarities. Perhaps Jackson is made of tougher stuff and could bollock the players when needed but other than trying to salvage the situation earlier with a second change, it feels exactly the same to me and I want the same result.

Next season will be like 06/07 and 18/19. Both times we brought in experienced managers that know the league well. I'm not entirely sure who that would be this time, but it certainly shouldn't be Jackson in my eyes.

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:06 am 

DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

A Youth Team Coach that has come into his first management job in senior men's football.

There's plenty of similarities. Perhaps Jackson is made of tougher stuff and could bollock the players when needed but other than trying to salvage the situation earlier with a second change, it feels exactly the same to me and I want the same result.

Next season will be like 06/07 and 18/19. Both times we brought in experienced managers that know the league well. I'm not entirely sure who that would be this time, but it certainly shouldn't be Jackson in my eyes.

I agree that there a huge similarities in Micciche and Jackson and never again can the club recruit someone inexperienced to come in and deal with the club during a relegation battle. I am also convinced that we'd have been relegated under Martin had the season not been cut short.

However, next season its a fresh start. Jackson isn't coming in mid Jan to a team fighting relegation with morale at an all time low. Historically, inexperienced managers have seen success when given a pre-season. Robinson, Manning, Di-Matteo & Ince (had a little bit of experience but not much).

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2023 11:08 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:

I agree that there a huge similarities in Micciche and Jackson and never again can the club recruit someone inexperienced to come in and deal with the club during a relegation battle. I am also convinced that we'd have been relegated under Martin had the season not been cut short.

However, next season its a fresh start. Jackson isn't coming in mid Jan to a team fighting relegation with morale at an all time low. Historically, inexperienced managers have seen success when given a pre-season. Robinson, Manning, Di-Matteo & Ince (had a little bit of experience but not much).

I’d argue the only one of those coming in to a similar situation is Robinson, and even then that was league one mid table not league 2…

It’s Martin Allen and Paul Tisdale that we should be thinking of in comparison for the coming season, not those building off of success found beforehand.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next