THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 9:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:19 am 

Pseudonym wrote:
I thought Leko conceded that free kick.

Definitely McEachran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:23 am 

epdon wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
suffolkmadness wrote:
Genuinely shocked by comments on Stewart. I thought he was excellent (apart from letting Wheeler get the easiest header he will ever get), and dealt with everything arial in a very assured manner, which is something we have sorely missed all season.

He grew into the game in the second half for sure. But he really struggled in the opening 45. His passing was hideous (57% pass accuracy and 0% for long passes according to FotMob)

Looking at the playback, Stewart is being unfairly criticised for their first goal. He is actually marking another Wycombe forward, then wheeler loses his marker (Eisa?) and comes round behind. Stewart almost makes up the ground nevertheless but simply can’t jump high enough while running back.
Perhaps a better question is what Eisa (?) was doing and why McEacran deliberately barged Cambell giving them the free kick in the first place.

I agree, he was picking up another player and his defensive stats are excellent considering it was his 1st game: Blocks 1, clearances 6, headed clearances 4, interceptions 1, recoveries 3, ground duels won 75%, arial duels won 67%, tackles won 100%.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 9:49 am 

As others have mentioned, Stewert grew into the game and was very good defensively.

He was poor with the ball at his feet though and always looks rushed on the ball. Was not an air of confidence at all.

Watson is an all round better CB in my opinion. I’m not basing that just on yesterday, I’ve watched Stewert many times over the years.

Not saying Stewert is a bad player at all, just that I prefer Watson in a back 3.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:12 am 

East Wing Don wrote:
As others have mentioned, Stewert grew into the game and was very good defensively.

He was poor with the ball at his feet though and always looks rushed on the ball. Was not an air of confidence at all.

Watson is an all round better CB in my opinion. I’m not basing that just on yesterday, I’ve watched Stewert many times over the years.

Not saying Stewert is a bad player at all, just that I prefer Watson in a back 3.

The problem is that Watson is also a good right back.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 10:33 am 

East Wing Don wrote:

Stewart did make a good block in the middle of the goal in the first half.
He can't pass but you've got to remember that, when at Wycombe, he would have been used to just lumping it up field. That's not our style so he'll have to get the hang of it.
Pleased to have another option at CB anyway and the continued good form of Tucker too

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 11:59 am 

I like stewart personally. I dont think its imperitive all 3 of our cbs are ball playing defenders, 1 or 2 that dominate the passing stats is fine. Its essential we have a player like stewart, old school, experienced and athletic and physical. Its not like hes a clumsy defender like jules hes just not flashy. We have ball players in lewie, tucker and o’hora, its essential to have s player like stewart in that group that csn dominate aerially.

Even the greatest manchester united teams only had 1 ball player alongside a stopper at centre back. Its not like stewart is careless in possession and clumsy he just excels more at the defensive side of the game which in time will compliment ohora, tucker and lewie.

If try snd sign him permanently in the summer if he proves his fitness and is available at a cut price.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 4:33 pm 

Eddie wrote:
I like stewart personally. I dont think its imperitive all 3 of our cbs are ball playing defenders, 1 or 2 that dominate the passing stats is fine. Its essential we have a player like stewart, old school, experienced and athletic and physical. Its not like hes a clumsy defender like jules hes just not flashy. We have ball players in lewie, tucker and o’hora, its essential to have s player like stewart in that group that csn dominate aerially.

Even the greatest manchester united teams only had 1 ball player alongside a stopper at centre back. Its not like stewart is careless in possession and clumsy he just excels more at the defensive side of the game which in time will compliment ohora, tucker and lewie.

If try snd sign him permanently in the summer if he proves his fitness and is available at a cut price.

I think he's a good addition. Shame about his lack of playing time, but it's added experience and leadership. Less pressure on O'Hora busting a gut to get back as well.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2023 7:47 pm 

BuckDon wrote:
Eddie wrote:

I think he's a good addition. Shame about his lack of playing time, but it's added experience and leadership. Less pressure on O'Hora busting a gut to get back as well.

Yup. Good point.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 3:02 pm 

Eddie wrote:

Have to agree with this. Stewart, O’Hora and Tucker is a good back 3.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2023 4:09 pm 

Stewart showed glimpses of what he is, for me. Communicated well, won headers and positional pretty good.

However he was very sloppy on the ball, but with the way we try to play and him being clearly ropey and not fully fit it was inevitable. The fact he grew into the game and didn't stay sloppy all game is inspiring.

I thought we played pretty well. On another day we could've won, same for them tbf but they have less reason to be optimistic on the back of a draw. It was a fun game to watch. Referee was abysmal, for both teams btw. There was a moment first half where they should've had a clear free kick and he didn't give it, then 20 seconds later gave it for absolutely nothing.

Either way, it was a great day out, atmosphere was good and very supportive. Got a real feeling of togetherness from the away end, not much frustration on the team. I liked that. Felt really supportive and has been negative up until recently.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6