THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 6:43 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 8:36 am 

THE CAZBAR BIG GAME PREVIEW – WYCOMBE WANDERERS
A quick look back to Saturday and our game against Morecambe before we press on with this week’s preview.

We should of course be chuffed to bits we have come through the latest test with three points, but its not time to break open the champagne just yet, there is more work to be done before its mission accomplished.

I have to be honest it wasn’t a classic by any stretch, the first half in particular wasn’t that inspiring as both teams were reluctant to overstretch themselves and tried to keep it tight at the back, and I found my optimism fading fast that we could stroll away from the relegation zone without too much fuss, so halftime was a welcome break for players and fans alike.

A few weeks back I looked at our remaining games as you know and I rated this game as the easiest chance for points, in fact looking back the three wins have come against the teams I rated the least, meaning theoretically we still have tougher assignments left, hence my reluctance to get too carried away just yet.

The game was screaming out for a touch of class and thankfully we produced it, a wonderful, dinked pass over the top by McEachran found Harvie who squared it first touch to Leko on the back stick who side footed it home, without doubt a cracking goal.

There is no doubt in my mind that the return of Lewington has calmed the nerves at the back, with Tucker especially benefitting as he looks a class above where he was month or two back. Watson too drafted in at centre back out of necessity has stepped up to the plate and he’s going to be hard to drop even if Jules will be available at the weekend.

There is also no doubt we have been helped out in our situation by the poor form of the teams around us, with not one of the bottom five winning in the last 5 games until Forest Green shocked Sheffield Wednesday on Sunday, but it’s hard to see them winning again this season, but even so we cannot let up trying to get ourselves out of this and not relying on the demise of others, you only want one or two of those teams to scrape a result here or there and we could be dragged back in to it.

We had opportunities to make it comfortable but couldn’t convert and Morecambe themselves nearly sprung a surprise by hitting the post and Cumming seemingly helpless, that’s how close things were to being very different at 10 to 5.

So, all good so far, but more is needed and some of the games coming up will test our newfound confidence and resolve, trust me there is a lot of football left to play and no doubt a few more twists to the plot.

So then, to the job in hand, a visit to playoff chasing Wycombe Wanderers with the added spice of yet another Bucks derby.

I have to say I’m still emotionally scarred from the last time we visited Adams Park where for some reason or other we decided to try and take them on at their own game in the 1st leg of the League 1 Playoffs last season, I say we decided, but more than likely just got suckered in and fell for it hook line and sinker, it wasn’t our finest hour, but that’s football, or should I say hoof ball if you get my drift.

Below is the current league record of both teams plus the home record of Wycombe and the away record of the Dons.

Wycombe (8th) – P 38, W 18, D 7, L 13, GF 51, GA 36, Pts 61.
MK Dons (19th) – P 38, W 11, D 6, L 21, GF 34, GA 54, Pts 39.
Wycombe (H)(8th) – P 19, W 10, D 4, L 5, GF 28, GA 17, Pts 34.
MK Dons (A)(14th) – P 19, W 7, D 2, L 10, GF 21, GA 29, Pts 23.

The 10 wins Wycombe have achieved at home have come against Burton Albion, Accrington Stanley, Peterborough, Bristol Rovers, Ipswich Town, Portsmouth, Oxford Utd, Bolton Wanderers, Derby County, and Fleetwood Town. The 5 defeats at home contain a couple of surprise ones, Shrewsbury Town, Cambridge Utd, Plymouth Argyle, Sheffield Wed, and Barnsley, and it should be also noted they have drawn with Morecambe although that was a few weeks ago.

Last Saturday Wycombe travelled to the Valley to face Charlton Athletic, and it ran out a 1-1 draw, with Wycombe equalising late on to get a share of the spoils. I can’t say as it taught us much, but it keeps Wycombe in the playoff hunt and the pressure will be on them on Saturd
ay to keep that chance intact.

We have a good deal of history with Wycombe and it’s not that bad a record. All games shown are League 1 unless stated.

2006/07 – MK Dons 3 Wycombe 1 (LG2) (Andrews, McLeod 2)
2006/07 – Wycombe 0 MK Dons 2 (LG2) (G Smith, McLeod)
2007/08 – Wycombe 1 MK Dons 1 (LG2) (Cameron)
2007/08 – MK Dons 2 Wycombe 2 (LG2) (Wilbraham, O ‘Hanlon)
2009/10 – Wycombe 0 MK Dons 1 (Doumbe)
2009/10 – MK Dons 2 Wycombe 3 (Wilbraham 2)
2011/12 – MK Dons 4 Wycombe 3 (Bowditch 2, Doumbe, Ibehre)
2011/12 – Wycombe 1 MK Dons 1 (Powell)
2019/20 – Wycombe 3 MK Dons 2 (Bowery, Houghton)
2019/20 – MK Dons 1 Wycombe 2 (FLT) (Agard)
2019/20 – MK Dons 2 Wycombe 0 (Healey, Gladwin)
2021/22 – MK Dons 1 Wycombe 0 (Parrott)
2021/22 – MK Dons 2 Wycombe 1 (FLT) (Boateng, Jules)
2021/22 – Wycombe 0 MK Dons 1 (Twine)`
2021/22 – Wycombe 2 MK Dons 0 (PO)
2021/22 – MK Dons 1 Wycombe 0 (PO) (Parrott)
2022/23 – MK Dons 0 Wycombe 1

That little lot totals up at – P 17, W 9, D 3, L 5, GF 26, GA 20.

Top scorer for Wycombe this season is Albanian International Anis Mehmeti, but he was sold to Bristol City on the last day of the Transfer Window for a rumoured club record, but as is usual these days the fee was not disclosed. The next then on the scorers list is Lewis Wing an attacking midfielder with 8 goals from the 39 games he has played in this season.

Top assists man for Wycombe is Jamaican International Garath McCleary with 8 to his name so far in his position as a winger in Wycombe’s preferred formation of 4-2-3-1.

In charge these days at Adams Park is former Colchester boss Matt Bloomfield and he didn’t need much persuading to join Wycombe after 70’s throwback Gareth Ainsworth left to manage QPR, I wonder how that’s going for the wannabe rocker.

Bloomfield was a trainee at Ipswich Town, but never made a league appearance for them and was released to join Wycombe in 2003 and stayed until he retired from playing in 2022. As a midfielder he played some 558 games scoring 42 goals.

He joined Colchester as their new gaffer in September 2022 with an average record and a Win Ratio of just 32%, and its only gone up 1% in his short time at Wycombe with 2 wins, 3 defeats, and 2 draws from the 7 games he’s been in charge for.

I don’t know any Wycombe fans to ask them but even with Bloomfields strong connection with the South Bucks side I’m sure his appointment raised a few eyebrows; I just hope the cowboy boots and leather trousers fit him. I have though noticed his appointment is being touted as “In principle”, whatever that’s supposed to mean, probably, get us in the playoffs and we will talk contracts for next season.

We of course have already played Wycombe once this season and lost 1-0 at home to a Nick Freeman goal shortly before halftime back in October. The defeat anchored us to the bottom of the table with just 10 points from 14 games.

Betting It doesn’t come as a shock that the bookies have us as the long shots in this one, but if you fancy us to get something, the value is there.

Wycombe 10/11, Draw 11/4, MK Dons 16/5

Prediction – This is a tough call, it really is, Wycombe are in and out of form, we play better on the road, the pressure is on them, but we should be going into this in a much better shape than we were three weeks ago, and as always this is a bit of a grudge match, and as in most derbies the form to some degree goes out of the window.

I would take a point now, but its could easily be a 1-0 win either way, fingers crossed I’ll take a 1-1 draw.

Team News – I haven’t seen anything yet, but Stewart could make his MK debut against his old club if his rehabilitation has shown no ill effects in midweek and if so I’m sure he will be itching to get on the pitch and get one over his old club.

Zak Jules is also set to return from suspension along with Kaikai who has been on international duty, but I think Jacko will be reluctant to split up a team that boasts three shut outs in the last three games.

If you’re travelling, enjoy the game and checkout the Ground Guide published on Wednesday for some useful advice.

Come on You Dons.

8-) WD

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:14 am 

Quote:
If you’re travelling, enjoy the game and checkout the Ground Guide published on Wednesday for some useful advice

on how sh*t is is.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2023 10:17 am 

If you divide the number of goals for and against by the number of games and then round up the numbers it means we will win 1-2.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:18 am 

As always, thanks WD. I'm intrigued to see how Wycombe set up and play and whether there is a departure from the Ainsworth way. They need to win as much as we do, perhaps more (as we might be happy taking a point on this one) and I wonder how that will feed into the game.

Hoping Stewart has made it through this week and can feature, as I think this will be helpful.

Anyone know what sort of numbers we are looking at taking? I heard 500 earlier in week - hoping its crept up a bit as we get closer to the game.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 7:27 pm 

suffolkmadness wrote:
As always, thanks WD. I'm intrigued to see how Wycombe set up and play and whether there is a departure from the Ainsworth way. They need to win as much as we do, perhaps more (as we might be happy taking a point on this one) and I wonder how that will feed into the game.

Hoping Stewart has made it through this week and can feature, as I think this will be helpful.

Anyone know what sort of numbers we are looking at taking? I heard 500 earlier in week - hoping its crept up a bit as we get closer to the game.

Whilst 'on paper' I should be going; support important at this stage...local derby etc (as I've posted elsewhere, words to the effect of) I've had enough of that 'proper stadium' i.e. an inaccessible, uncomfortable and expensive f- hole which is tortuous to get to and from.
That outweighs the former.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 30, 2023 11:28 pm 

I’m doing this one. Normally park miles away and walk but not possible this time. How easy is it to get a pay car park?

Will accept the hour long wait to get out!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2023 6:10 pm 

Towcestrian wrote:
I’m doing this one. Normally park miles away and walk but not possible this time. How easy is it to get a pay car park?

Will accept the hour long wait to get out!

Fair play to ya! (esp if it's peeing down and you've spent a fortune on a cup of tea and a burger and your bum has gone numb on the dreadful 'real stadium' seats).