THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Wed May 08, 2024 10:22 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 7:22 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – MORECAMBE
Saturday Morning and I’m just about to get my backside into gear and thinking about readying myself to pick up a fellow Don enroute to SMK.

I’ve just realised I’ve been writing the Meltdown over 5 years and produced over 200 articles….I just thought I’d mention it……I’m not sure what I’ve achieved, half the time it feels like some sort of personal exorcism, but if some of you get something out of it well I guess I have achieved something, and the reason I’m telling you is because there will be no Meltdown next weekend against local rivals Wycombe….I’m not going, not listening in, and I will only find out the result and updates on the BBC as I have a family commitment I will be attending, so if anyone fancies doing one, a Meltdown that is, be my guest, I’m sure some of you won’t miss me (Aliramone perhaps)….anyway, moving on.

It's been a pretty good last couple of weeks, two wins, results elsewhere largely going our way, and dare I say there is a glimmer of hope that in the final hour we might just be doing enough to prevent being sucked into League 2, but mindful that we have a tough few weeks coming up, so winning against Morecambe is massive.

Thinking back this is the first time in months I have been so confident in victory, hopefully my faith is not misplaced, or come to that my money, as again for the first time since probably the last Forest Green game I will be having a bet on us to win, although I confess I have bet against us on a few occasions this season.

This game is a real six pointer, and we shouldn’t forget that Morecambe will be targeting this game as well as an opportunity to get 3 points and if results go in their favour, a win could see them out of the bottom four, that’s a hell of a carrot for them.

The team news is due shortly and I’d imagine Leko will be in as a straight swap for KaiKai who is away on International duty for Sierra Leonne. Personally, I would start with Devoy and Grant who have proved to be the best providers this season, and with just 12 goals at home in the league you cannot deny we need someone to provide opportunities.

Probably controversial but I would consider starting Dean in place of Grigg. Whilst Grigg has a fairly decent record against the Shrimps he hasn’t looked to be that sharp in the last couple of months or more, well for me anyway, as I know some feel differently, but I think he has been nothing more than an irritant to defenders. I can’t recall a meaningful shot, an opportunity created, and he looks to have lost a fair amount of speed…. sorry but that’s the way I see it, and I just think this may be an opportunity to give Dean a chance.

Here we go then the team news….in comes Leko as expected, and also Lawrence goes into the right wing back position I presume, Grigg is benched.

Before I get going, Robbo was there today sitting in the Directors Box, I wonder if he said “Gizza Job” to Winkie…anyway moving on.

Before I say anything much please don’t think I’m going to get carried away with this win or the current run of form, I’m not, you should know me by now, and I’ll certainly be happier when we get sufficient points on the board and we are safe, then I will relax, I’ve been through too much pain this season, I just don’t want to get the flags out just yet and we hit a dodgy spell.

Of course, I’m happy that we have edged 4 points clear of the drop zone, even happier that we have won three games on the bounce for the first time this season, and happier still we have kept three clean sheets and look a different team at the back, and it can’t be a coincidence this has only materialised since Lewie has returned.

Lewie is a legend…. end of…. he has transformed the confidence of Tucker who once again looked like the player we were led to believe we had purchased at the start of the season. His calming influence and unflappable attitude has also spread to others like Watson in his role as a stand in centre half.

Now forgive me for this ……the first half was awful, the second slightly better and at times I thought Morecambe looked the more controlled team, and certainly more comfortable and confident on the ball, and that is my only concern left.

When this “Mini League” scenario was called I can’t have been the only one that thought those three games were possibly going to be the most realistic chances of victories, we’ve done that now and bravo, but you have to admit we are going to have to step it up another level if we are going to get the points needed, and I estimate another two wins will probably seal it, three wins will just about guarantee it.

A big boost to our escape plans have been those at the bottom have been playing so badly it has aided our tactical withdrawal from the relegation zone, in fact Oxford, Morecambe, Cambridge Utd, Forest Green and Accrington have failed to record even one win in the last 5 games each of them have played, and the latter Accy Stan took a right hiding today losing 5-0 away to Exeter which no doubt has battered their confidence even more.

I can’t think of much else to say about the game or the current scenario, but thankfully the bit of class the game was calling out for came from us. McEachran hit a superb first time pass over the top to Harvie down the left side, he hit it first time to the back door and Leko back from suspension had the easy task to side foot it in the net, it was a quality goal and certainly brightened up a dull afternoon.

We had a few half chances to make it comfortable, Leko forcing a save from the Morecambe keeper then some how Mo squirted it wide with the keeper laying on the floor, and then Grigg coming on nearly scored a freak goal from a poor clearance from the Shrimps keeper. It landed at Griggs feet who hit it straight back at the goal and if on target the keeper could have done nothing about it, but it curved away from the goal to safety.

Morecambe nearly had the final say when Soare hit a fierce shot that came off the outside of the post with Cumming a mere spectator, but thankfully that’s about the closest they came and when the final whistle sounded many of their players sunk to their knees with the reality of relegation now becoming a distinct possibility.

So, some decent performances from Watson, Tucker, Leko, Lewie, McEachran, and Harvie, but like I’ve said they have to take it up a notch now to secure the points needed for safety.

Fair play to the Cowshed today who kept at it most of the game, and it was also good to see so many stay behind at the end to clap off the players, and also well done to Jacko who took his time to lap up the adulation, shake hands and kiss babies and even managed three fist pumps in celebration.

I’ll leave you with this, the moment of the match for me was seeing Lewie as the most forward player in the first half on the high press just outside their box on the right hand side, it was magic stuff from the legend and got a huge cheer from the fans.

Don’t forget no Meltdown next weekend, have a good week.

8-) WD

Last edited by WellDon on Sun Mar 26, 2023 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 8:45 pm 

Thanks for the write up as always WellDon. I can imagine it can be a struggle to remain motivated to posting these during this season especially after dull but positive results

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:35 pm 

Congratulations on the 5 and 200 milestones - the write ups have entertained, provoked thought and discussion and are a real document of the Dons over that period. That's a really cool achievement - thank you.

I have always thought we would scrape through because there were worse teams in the league and I think the last few games have proved that to be the case. We have hard games and it will still be a scrap, but I think we will make it.

Today was the most comfortable of the three in my opinion. The three wins have allowed us to approach the next few with a bit more freedom - will be interesting to see how that plays out.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:46 pm 

With both Accy and Morecambe averaging less than a point a game, I agree that two wins should do it.
Add a couple of draws into that, and pretty much guaranteed. Can't see either team averaging 1.5 points per match.
Would like a point or two asap, so that we can maintain a gap even on a bad week.

Somebody on a L1 forum has said both teams have a tough run in, so hoping we can stretch our gap before the end of the season.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2023 10:28 pm 

Quote:
I estimate another two wins will probably seal it, three wins will just about guarantee it.

Yeah agree with that WD and thanks for doing the Meltdown, always a good read.

I think with our run in compared to the current bottom four, we should be ok, especially with our vastly superior negative goal difference, which is worth an extra point on its own.

Ideally, beat Wycombe and Portsmouth and light the cigars :D