THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:41 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 11:57 am 

Quote:
I think …..I wouldn’t swear to it……but I think I reserved judgement. I would also add that I’ve been saying for a long time …..probably October ……this team wasn’t good enough when many were saying it’s just a slow start, more gel time needed, stop wetting the bed ……..so it works both ways.[/quote]
Shouldn't that be 'the pitch'? :?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 1:01 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
WellDon wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
WellDon wrote:
MKAylesburyDon wrote:
WellDon wrote:
On the flip side, if we get relegated, will the fallout from fans be so big that they have to change their mode of thinking and actually invest in a team and try and look after the fans. The worry is relegation and further cuts in the budget would probably sentence us to a few seasons in LG 2 rather than a fleeting visit we would hope for.

They did invest in the team this season, unsuccessful as it may have been you can't keep denying they invested when money was spent on Dennis, Devoy, Grant, Burns, Tucker etc.

I will concede, possibly a poor choice of words that deserved a better explanation.
Yes they have invested albeit at a level that wouldn’t have reached the fee obtained for Twine, so perhaps I should have said something along the lines of, invest in a team that could be expected to compete even at a mediocre level.
My regular comparisons with Plymouth, which I think is fair, show they have invested in a team capable of being promoted, their level of investment being greater than ours.
It’s all about levels I think, we decided to cost cut and save money in various areas and it hasn’t worked out and fans have stayed away, our results have gone downhill, and we are in the mess we are in.
It’s easy to sit here now and say what fool thought that would work, Sweeting etc would have been hailed a genius if he had pulled it off, but it hasn’t and probably in hindsight they realised they cut too deep or under invested in the team.
Plymouth on the other hand decided to invest at a bigger level than us, the results speak for themselves, top of the league, sellout crowds, but it’s easy to say that now in March, the Plymouth Model might have failed, well it is easy to say it now, but you can’t deny I haven’t just started saying it this month, it’s been on the agenda for most of the season.
So in conclusion, I will amend future posts to say a level of investment.

I'm not sure I can agree with your assessment WellDon.

Plymouth paid a fee for one player in summer 21 and amongst all their free transfer signings two were from us. They didn't pay for a single player in summer 2022. They also appointed their assistant manager to replace Lowe, considering our fans love to moan about hiring the 'cheap option', I'd love to see the reaction if we did that here. They signed 4 players for 'undisclosed' fees this January when already top of the league but Tyriek Wright was apparently all add odds with no up front fee, Early had been playing in L2 with 6 months left on his deal at Norwich and Wright was deemed surplus at Blackpool after only 6 months. Arguable all unproven youngsters with their only real experience in L2. Not sure where the 'investment at a bigger level than us' or 'their level of investment being greater than our' comes from.

They are doing better. But they've signed youngsters on the cheap, hired a cheap option and relied on many loan spells. Probably actually invested a lot less than we have.

They may have invested in things off the field to help attendances. But then again Plymouth is a town with a bigger population and basically one professional football team near them for quite a few miles, as well as having the boost of being a decent sized University town.

Thanks for the feedback, whilst we are at odds on this probably we can explore a different avenue or different direction, we differ on our opinions on the term investment.
Purely theoretical…….if I get £100m for something, and I spend £50m of that to try an achieve the same end result, could it be interpreted that I’ve invested in the project, and that’s the point, poorly, I’m trying to make.
I am not denying they have invested some money, far from it, as I said it’s all about the levels, at what we determine as investing, like I said purely theoretical.
Perhaps a better comparison could be made on what sales we have made in a given period, compared to what we have reinvested, which would probably determine better if we have actually invested or cut back. Harder still would be determine wages to players how they compare season to season, but I can’t see that being easy to determine as if I understand correctly the balance sheets show the collective wage bill of everyone at SMK rather than broken down to purely the team wage……but I could be wrong.

Now I can't disagree with those comments. I get frustrated with comments that we haven't spent money, because we have. And if the rumoured fees are correct we've spent more assembling this squad than last seasons and probably more than an summer in our history.

Now if we are discussing reinvestment in the playing squad or net spend it becomes a different discussion. And yes I'd probably agree with you that after the transfer fees we received this summer maybe we could have invested more in the playing squad. However we don't know how many of the more expensive targets we missed out on (such as Colby Bishop, somebody with an average record who we offered a decent fee for). I'd also be curious as to if Manning being head coach, rather than Russ, had an impact on the recruitment process. Let's also not forget it was made fairly clearly that the money we spent this summer was an attempt to build a more stable longer term squad and sign players with high potential before they got too much attention and their prices sky rocket, rather than sign players with a likely 12-18 month spell here. Sadly it backfired pretty badly it seems.

Yeah I agree.

Can you imagine if we forked out for Bishop and he didn't perform well for us? It's very easy to spend other peoples money when you'll face no consequences if it doesn't work out.

We spent money this season. Transfer fees, agent fees, wages etc. Not every signing was a bad signing and some of the players have massively underperformed, including those they were here last season.

Football fans are so fickle. On here, Twitter, FB etc all I could see during the summer was praise for the recruitment team. People creaming themselves over the signings of Devoy, Robson, Tucker etc. only to change their tune a few months later saying how poor the recruitment is, yet massively backing it when it had just happened..

Least it would have shown intent. I wouldn't have been more annoyed than I am with a freebe in Grigg who's best days were a decade ago who has zero sell on potential and has been more underwhelming ordering a fillet steak and then receiving a plain rice cake with no water.

Of course people are going to be positive when the signings are made. At the time, teflon Sweeting was indestructible. Its only in the cold light of seeing most of these on the pitch we are realising that Sweeting didn't really have a clue and that whatever his method needs a serious revision this summer with or without a budget.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:23 pm 

Surely our whole business model is that we make money by buying young and selling on. If we “reinvested” ALL the proceeds in more players, we would quickly go bankrupt.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:39 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
Least it would have shown intent. I wouldn't have been more annoyed than I am with a freebe in Grigg who's best days were a decade ago who has zero sell on potential and has been more underwhelming ordering a fillet steak and then receiving a plain rice cake with no water.

All that and yet he's still our second highest goalscorer this season...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:44 pm 

epdon wrote:
Surely our whole business model is that we make money by buying young and selling on. If we “reinvested” ALL the proceeds in more players, we would quickly go bankrupt.

Yes you could argue that, you could also argue that we will never progress, maybe get relegated on occasions, possible promotions, but not really straying much beyond that.
Some clubs have used different models and progressed, others it has to be said have failed, and taken years to get back on track.
Some have also cut back to such a level they have fallen through the trap door.
It’s a balancing act that’s for sure.
Some may criticise for a lack of ambition, some may offer praise for wanting to remain at a sustainable level.
Of course any perceived lack of ambition by fans could be detrimental in terms of attendances, and possibly to a degree that’s what’s happened this season especially at times of recession and it’s been an easy decision to make for people.
Like I said a balancing act, enough investment to keep us competitive whilst maintaining fan interest, and making fans feel wanted…..not easy.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:45 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

That could be interpreted in a number of ways.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 5:57 pm 

WellDon wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

That could be interpreted in a number of ways.

You mean he was a vegetarian who was drunk and who should never have ordered the fillet steak in the first place but having done so didn't want to admit his mistake and just pretended to be underwhelmed by the rice cake?
I thought so too. Great minds and all that.... :ugeek:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 7:36 pm 

DippyDon wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

I get showing intent, I get wanting to attract high calibre players and make a statement in the market. Firstly we did show intent by bidding a very decent sum for Bishop. It wasn't what Accrington wanted and we didn't go any further - a decision I am happy with. Secondly, we don't know what other players we went after and if we had bids rejected/they rejected us.

Some of the names floating around in the summer were Bishop (22 goals), May (15 goals), Stockton (5 goals), Smith (7 goals) , Ironside (6 goals). The so called proven names that many clamoured for, many who had poor to mediocre records before 21/22, have had significantly vary success. Stockton the hottest striker in the league last year has 2 less than a freebe whose best days were a decade ago.

I'm more than happy for us to sign players for decent fees, particularly strikers, and Eisa was a successful one. But we did have serious interest in one, rumours of targeting another and we don't know half the intentions behind the scences.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:40 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
DippyDon wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

I get showing intent, I get wanting to attract high calibre players and make a statement in the market. Firstly we did show intent by bidding a very decent sum for Bishop. It wasn't what Accrington wanted and we didn't go any further - a decision I am happy with. Secondly, we don't know what other players we went after and if we had bids rejected/they rejected us.

Some of the names floating around in the summer were Bishop (22 goals), May (15 goals), Stockton (5 goals), Smith (7 goals) , Ironside (6 goals). The so called proven names that many clamoured for, many who had poor to mediocre records before 21/22, have had significantly vary success. Stockton the hottest striker in the league last year has 2 less than a freebe whose best days were a decade ago.

I'm more than happy for us to sign players for decent fees, particularly strikers, and Eisa was a successful one. But we did have serious interest in one, rumours of targeting another and we don't know half the intentions behind the scences.

I have a serious interest in a Bentley.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:47 am 

DippyDon wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

Joint 2nd highest goalscorer in the league I am splitting hairs here I know where you are coming from ;) . But our leading scorer gets put down for "not doing enough" but you are happy to let grigg who has been average for years with a free pass. What a deluded bunch you all are. 2016 was probably the man's last half decent season. 7 years ago. But compared to second highest goalscorer in the league in bishop it is night and day. It's all ifs and buts but if we were willing to pay half a million for bishop then get grigg as alternative on a free where did that portion of the budget go? I mean I guess it was spent now with what we got in Jan but you are telling me grigg was an adequate replacement for a 25 year old we allegedly couldn't afford. That's the part that most annoyed me with his signing was we were willing to spend on a striker and ended up with a striker on a free and the rose tinted glasses that came with him.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 35 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next