THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun May 05, 2024 4:00 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:12 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
One has already fucked off and good riddance, but that is the side point to my main gripe that STILL nobody has the balls to answer what happened in the summer to the money we earmarked for Bishop?

I assume you don't work in business, because this would be horifically unprofessional and self-harming.

Are you expecting the club to come and say "oh yeah, remember that £500k we had earmarked for Bishop, we've still got that and we'll spend it on a striker in the summer". Great way of letting every single club know how much we have to spend.

It's not about not having the balls, its about having the brains to know this would be fucking stupid.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:27 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
One has already fucked off and good riddance, but that is the side point to my main gripe that STILL nobody has the balls to answer what happened in the summer to the money we earmarked for Bishop?

I assume you don't work in business, because this would be horifically unprofessional and self-harming.

Are you expecting the club to come and say "oh yeah, remember that £500k we had earmarked for Bishop, we've still got that and we'll spend it on a striker in the summer". Great way of letting every single club know how much we have to spend.

It's not about not having the balls, its about having the brains to know this would be fucking stupid.

Apologies for not explaining it well I meant on here nobody can say we spent that money on a striker in the summer. If we did I would be very surprised. I wasn't asking the club to announce it on the big screen in the ground. I am sure we have spent it now as I can't see Kaikai being cheap, but in the summer when we needed it most we did nothing to bring in a competent striker (much like last January) and still the jury is out with me if we do have adequate cover. All it would take is Eisa to get injured again then we are left with Grigg who can't do it (people have even admitted that on here) Dean who is green, but has a lot of potential and possibly Kaikai who if Football Manager is accurate can play upfront if needed, but I definitely don't think its his strongest position. For over a year we have needed a decent backup for Eisa. We had the money, but didn't do anything with it in the summer. I know Kayode was an unknown and we now know what we know, but even then he was decent he was a loan and we have seen with Afobe back in the day that there is no honour amongst theives when it comes to loans.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 3:57 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

Apologies for not explaining it well I meant on here nobody can say we spent that money on a striker in the summer. If we did I would be very surprised. I wasn't asking the club to announce it on the big screen in the ground. I am sure we have spent it now as I can't see Kaikai being cheap, but in the summer when we needed it most we did nothing to bring in a competent striker (much like last January) and still the jury is out with me if we do have adequate cover. All it would take is Eisa to get injured again then we are left with Grigg who can't do it (people have even admitted that on here) Dean who is green, but has a lot of potential and possibly Kaikai who if Football Manager is accurate can play upfront if needed, but I definitely don't think its his strongest position. For over a year we have needed a decent backup for Eisa. We had the money, but didn't do anything with it in the summer. I know Kayode was an unknown and we now know what we know, but even then he was decent he was a loan and we have seen with Afobe back in the day that there is no honour amongst theives when it comes to loans.

But maybe there wasn't anyone to spend that money on? Once the Bishop deal had fallen through, we then had to move onto our second choice, of which Kayode would have been a part of.

A striker is the hardest position to recruit for. Every club in the world is looking for a striker that can score 15-20+ goals. We were probably interested in many strikers during the window, which would have fallen through for multiple reason (wage, league, transfer fee, location, personal reasons etc).

Just because the Bishop deal fell through, it didn't mean we were going to chuck £500k at anybody. Kayode was identified as a suitable option and he may well have been if he hadn't of got injured, which the club couldn't have predicted. He was given very little chance when he first joined and he could have been a lot better under Jackson, if fit. We then wouldn't even be having this conversation.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 6:50 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

On a slightly tangential note :roll: it is.....have you ever noticed we only ever seem to have one of match standard (not 'warm up' ones)? Thank gawd the stadium is so high that it can't be punted into the car park. I def recall one occasion a couple of years ago when the ref said the ball was deflated/ing and he wanted another one and there was a bit of delay actually getting/finding another one.
PW out.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2023 9:01 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:

But maybe there wasn't anyone to spend that money on? Once the Bishop deal had fallen through, we then had to move onto our second choice, of which Kayode would have been a part of.

A striker is the hardest position to recruit for. Every club in the world is looking for a striker that can score 15-20+ goals. We were probably interested in many strikers during the window, which would have fallen through for multiple reason (wage, league, transfer fee, location, personal reasons etc).

Just because the Bishop deal fell through, it didn't mean we were going to chuck £500k at anybody. Kayode was identified as a suitable option and he may well have been if he hadn't of got injured, which the club couldn't have predicted. He was given very little chance when he first joined and he could have been a lot better under Jackson, if fit. We then wouldn't even be having this conversation.

Very much this. Nobody is saying we spent the rumoured £300,000 we bid for Bishop on a striker in the summer. The whole 'proven', 'marquee' or in this case 'competent' striker was banded around a lot in the summer, and in the most part fans struggled to name anyone and the few suggestions were players with largely poor to average overall scoring records such as Stockton, Smith, May and Bishop but just had a decent season. Bishop has done great, Smith and Stockton have scored similar to Grigg despite playing significantly more minutes than him this season and May has done decent but is also languishing near the bottom of the table.

There are no guarantees about strikers at this level. I don't want us to spend a significant sum on someone we don't want just because we have the money set aside.