THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 4:29 pm 

Quote:
So three points it is but from the reaction of the cowshed, you would think we had won the league!

Exactly what I said to a Junior Ramone!!
Should have lifted all our spirits the reception they got. :D

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:17 pm 

Zen wrote:
I would have maghoma right at the top of the ‘ players to sign’ list next season. He is still a bit raw around the edges but doesn’t let his head drop or hide at all even after the odd stray pass or touch. He looks as fit as a fiddle, quick and brave. I would say he is pretty much the only successful signing we have made in the last 12 months, if you exclude the re loaning of the goalie.

He is on loan from Brentford so, unless they see no hope for him (which I doubt they do), I can't see him signing.
Nice to have him here but unlikely to be around for longer than the next couple of months

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:17 pm 

Pseudonym wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
I agreed with some of the subs, but not bringing Johnson on. We were 1-0 up and pushing for a second, but decided to make a defensive change and from that point on, never really created anything.

We won, so Jackson got the subs right but I still don't think it was the right call to go defensive. We were more than capable of getting a 2nd goal and putting that game well and truly to bed.

I thought Cambridge were awful and we were not much better. It's easy to be positive following a win, but we rode our luck. Watson and Tucker colliding was pretty comical and should have led to them taking the lead, but Watson did brilliantly to recover and get back.

Their goal was rightly called offside, but that offside doesn't get given 60% of the time. From the East Stand, at the time I saw nothing wrong with it at all.

With Lewington back in the team and with that win hopefully giving us some confidence, fingers crossed we can start playing some better football, as we'll need to if we want to win the games we need to to survive.

I agree with most of this. Cambridge were poor and we still struggled.

I’m not sure how Johnson is a defensive sub. He’s a striker being asked to play a defensive role - not the same thing. And it’s no wonder he’s not brilliant at it.

I still think the odds are against us to stay up. We definitely need to play a lot better to get points in April.

Huh, Johnson is a DM and always has been?

Johnson coming on for Grant is absolutely a defensive change.

Fair enough. I had it in my head that he scored lots of goals for Norwich.

He did score a fair few to be fair but all as a midfielder.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 5:19 pm 

AB4 wrote:
Zen wrote:
I would have maghoma right at the top of the ‘ players to sign’ list next season. He is still a bit raw around the edges but doesn’t let his head drop or hide at all even after the odd stray pass or touch. He looks as fit as a fiddle, quick and brave. I would say he is pretty much the only successful signing we have made in the last 12 months, if you exclude the re loaning of the goalie.

He is on loan from Brentford so, unless they see no hope for him (which I doubt they do), I can't see him signing.
Nice to have him here but unlikely to be around for longer than the next couple of months

Yeah no chance. Has done well in League 2 and now League 1. He'll be off to top end of League 1 or Championship next season.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:41 pm 

Ground out a 1-0 win due to a workman like display, nothing spectacular apart from Mo’s goal, but the effort was there and with Lewie back didn’t seem to have the panic set in.

I’d be more than happy to win the next two games 1-0 playing the same way

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 6:44 pm 

Scribble wrote:
Ground out a 1-0 win due to a workman like display, nothing spectacular apart from Mo’s goal, but the effort was there and with Lewie back didn’t seem to have the panic set in.

I’d be more than happy to win the next two games 1-0 playing the same way

I'll not disagree.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 11:15 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
I agreed with some of the subs, but not bringing Johnson on. We were 1-0 up and pushing for a second, but decided to make a defensive change and from that point on, never really created anything.

We won, so Jackson got the subs right but I still don't think it was the right call to go defensive. We were more than capable of getting a 2nd goal and putting that game well and truly to bed.

I thought Cambridge were awful and we were not much better. It's easy to be positive following a win, but we rode our luck. Watson and Tucker colliding was pretty comical and should have led to them taking the lead, but Watson did brilliantly to recover and get back.

Their goal was rightly called offside, but that offside doesn't get given 60% of the time. From the East Stand, at the time I saw nothing wrong with it at all.

With Lewington back in the team and with that win hopefully giving us some confidence, fingers crossed we can start playing some better football, as we'll need to if we want to win the games we need to to survive.

I agree with most of this. Cambridge were poor and we still struggled.

I’m not sure how Johnson is a defensive sub. He’s a striker being asked to play a defensive role - not the same thing. And it’s no wonder he’s not brilliant at it.

I still think the odds are against us to stay up. We definitely need to play a lot better to get points in April.

Huh, Johnson is a DM and always has been?

Johnson coming on for Grant is absolutely a defensive change.

Fair enough. I had it in my head that he scored lots of goals for Norwich.

He did score a fair few to be fair but all as a midfielder.

He has transitioned to a more defensive role with age, but earlier in his career he played as a CAM or Winger. At Norwich he played anywhere across the midfield

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 2:21 am 

Johnson often played behind Hoolahan who was a no.10 in a 4-2-3-1 at Norwich but in a similar way to how we played under Robinson, 10 being a second striker meaning a midfielder could push forward a lot, Gleeson, Alli and the like.

I'd not think Maghoma is much ready for the Championship yet. He's done very well and I really like him, probably my favourite Donscplayer atm but let's not get ahead of ourselves. He's still not exactly pulling strings here, so I'd imagine he'd get a better loan move at this level. A top 10 side. AFC fans said he tailed off for the final month and a bit before signing for us, so hopefully he keeps his consistency.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit