THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:34 am 

Deserved to go - BUT by more than his own making.

We needed to change, because we had to give ourselves a chance of staying up.

Does that mean he is bad or "the" problem? No.

His legacy, for me, will be last season. Not this played some great football, angles on faves everywhere from players to staff to fans. Likeable chap and clearly a good coach.

We failed him, not the other way around.

But he deserved to go

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 6:37 am 

If The Stepford Wives had been about football managers, it would've starred him.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 7:56 am 

In my opinion he isn't a very good manager. Doesn't have the personality to turn things around - mid-game or mid-season - when things aren't going well. We came 3rd last season with a squad that should have been promoted. His recruitment is poor too.

That said, he was also screwed over here by others' penny-pinching.

Will be interesting to see if he can get a 'new manager bounce' at Oxford and halt their relegation form.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:35 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Zero personality. Good at his job.

Not the words I’d use, but the gist is my reading too.

If he has motivated players with strong drive and personality, he can channel them. It looks to me like he struggles to raise deflated or disengaged players. We’ve had a lot of those this season.

I agree with DoaD - we should’ve been promoted last season given the position we’d gained.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 8:34 pm 

Pseudonym wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Zero personality. Good at his job.

Not the words I’d use, but the gist is my reading too.

If he has motivated players with strong drive and personality, he can channel them. It looks to me like he struggles to raise deflated or disengaged players. We’ve had a lot of those this season.

I agree with DoaD - we should’ve been promoted last season given the position we’d gained.

Yeah and if Gillingham hadnt lost to Rotherham we would have been promoted. That's tuckers fault that is :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 12, 2023 10:03 pm 

Unfortunately we’re fake so we cannot have real opinions. Suggest you ask AFC Wimbledon fans.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 12:27 am 

I honestly don't know how to look back at our time under Manning due to two main reasons - the squad he inherited and the squad he also apparently inherited this summer.

When Manning came in there was a lack of pressure. Russ left having spent 18 months introducing a very specific, strict and brave philosophy and having added a whole host of young exciting talent to the squad that summer. We had no idea what to expect. Would we play the same way, would Manning add his own twist, would we see the same mistakes defensively we saw under Russ? Quickly it looked like the players were given more freedom and we were playing with more 'purpose' and aggression than under Russ - but we also had a much better, agile and younger players that were purposely assembled team compared to a lots of favours and short term signings that we had before.

I was happy with what I was seeing for the large part, however as the season went on I felt we lost a lot of our ball playing identity especially in the Sheffield Wednesday home game and away at Wycombe in the play offs. I was happy to see us win ugly and grind out results at the time due to how fun the season was and we were winning. But was Mannings influence positive or negative? Were they being coached out of the confident ball playing team Russ assembled and relying on individual magic from the likes of Twine, Darling and Eisa or were we just a better team without the pointless passing and this years recruitment was really that terrible?

This season we looked nothing like a Russ team. Players are terrified, lots more pointless long passing and terrible off the ball movement - and this was from day one of the season, not just as dropped down the table. Was this because players that were dumped on Manning as some suggest are simply not good enough or was this what a Liam Manning team actually looks like and he just rode of the back of Russ' training and ideas ?

I honestly have no idea what to think about Manning other than he was an extremely nice guy and helped provide me with my favourite season ever supporting this football club. I think he will have a solid career in the English game, but I think a lot of his success last season was due to what came before him.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:21 pm 

He is undoubtedly a good manager but with us he was let down by his players and then thrown under the bus by the club's leadership.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2023 1:44 pm 

Like all our former managers I wish them no ill will but he must have been a wet fart of a manager to let them not train and to be as unfit as Jackson claims they are. Not our problem now. Good luck at Oxford but can you carry on letting them be shite till next season. I believe we have a realistic chance of catching them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2023 12:34 pm 

Russybcool wrote:
Like all our former managers I wish them no ill will but he must have been a wet fart of a manager to let them not train and to be as unfit as Jackson claims they are. Not our problem now. Good luck at Oxford but can you carry on letting them be shite till next season. I believe we have a realistic chance of catching them.

Isn’t that debunked now, given their fitness has not improved noticeably?

Just new coach fluff as far as I’m concerned.