All times are UTC

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:18 pm 

Oyegoke
Quote:
Inexperienced at senior level but seems a great prospect

Quote:
Looks a good prospect, strong and good with his feet

Quote:
Thought he looked really good when he came on yesterday. Quick and strong and willing to take his man on. Should be well suited to the RWB role and competent as a RB

Grant
Quote:
Haven't heard of him but looks very much the kind of player this model is set up for: young player presumably doing well in league two that we'll bring in, look to improve further, and sell on for an acceptable profit and a sell on fee.
Despite my lack of knowledge of him, I'm happy enough with that addition as I trust them enough that it'll prove another success.

Quote:
It's just hard to get excited about a player signed from Rochdale

Quote:
I'm liking what I read about him TBF. Sounds like he's good on the ball in CM/CAM. And can contribute goals and assists from midfield. Good age and doing well one League below. Sounds perfect kind of signing for us.

Quote:
I know little about him and I know compilations can make anyone look good, but this lad does seem to be really talented. You can tell that he is extremely comfortable with the ball at his feet and can really pick a pass. At just 20 years of age, I think this is a really exciting signing. I'm going to stick my neck out and say he is going to turn out to be the signing of the summer.

Quote:
Our recruitment team have enough in the bank for me to just accept whoever they want to bring in.

Dennis
Quote:
Happy with this, quick and we need depth upfront, and a player who is actually ours who we can develop. Our biggest issue last year was we ran out of strikers, so we’ll done Sweeting and co

Quote:
Yeah happy with this if he's a squad player with a view to him initially being brought him as a backup to Eisa and another striker.

Quote:
Happy enough with the signing given his age and that it's a permanent deal. Another one who we'll look to develop and sell on for a profit.

Quote:
From the clips there is clearly potential. I have a lot of faith in Liam and his recruitment team - they will have done their homework.

Quote:
This is a pretty risk free signing, that could result in a big return on investment if he delivers. Also, barely any of us had heard of Harry Darling before he signed, and that is only 1 league above where Dennis most recently played.

Grigg
Quote:
Over the moon with his return, can’t ask for better for a rotation striker

Quote:
Yeah can definitely still do a job, had two good spells with us and could easily get 10+ goals in a full season. Hopefully we're still after another CF like Watters/Smith/Bishop or similar, but Grigg is a decent option for depth up front

Quote:
A very needed signing in my opinion. His experience will be invaluable to a young attacking team.

Quote:
I'm so happy about this one. When I first read the rumours he was training with us I was excited but didn't think it would actually happen.

Quote:
If Grigg is that permanent signing, instead of the likes of Watters or Smith, then it's a little underwhelming, but would still be a decent signing.

Quote:
Prepared to be shot down, but I wasn’t that impressed by Grigg in his last stint here

Quote:
But if he's the only experienced striker we bring in before the end of the window then I'd feel we haven't done enough business at that end of the pitch, but still pleased he's back.

Holland
Quote:
Good squad option on a free.

Quote:
Decent signing.

Quote:
It's a good signing IF he's coming in to prove himself and fight for a starting 11 place, not as some sort of ready-made replacement for Twine or Parrott who are a few levels above this guy...Doesn't excite me as a signing in the same way Robson and Tucker do

Quote:
He is an upgrade on what we had last season with Martin and Corbeanu in terms of assists and goals.

Robson
Quote:
He's finally home. Great to have him back.

Quote:
xcellent news - a really good player to have onboard!

Quote:
Delighted with this. Showed at the start of last season how good a player he is. Fit the style and culture of our team so well and seems like a really likeable bloke.

Quote:
Much less risk in signing a player you've been able to have a good look at, and easier for the player to settle into new surroundings too. Good to have Ethan back. He looked a good player in the first half of the season

Quote:
Again, very happy, one of our best players in the first half of last season, will fit in nicely.

Tucker
Quote:
Very happy with this, looks like he could emulate Harry Darling's success here, highly rated and a big signing.

Quote:
Tucker is a very good replacement for Darling

Quote:
Chuffed with Tucker. A brilliant replacement for Darling. I think expectations must be realistic. Darling is without doubt one of the most talented defenders we've had at the club. Don't necessarily expect Tucker to produce the same output as Darling, certainly not on day one.

Quote:
Great signing, shows how much pull we have when lots of Championship and top L1 clubs were chasing him.

Quote:
Great signing, YPOTY and POTY at Gillingham and has bags of potential

Quote:
So even if we have paid £200k for Tucker then so be it. Roughly the compo we will have to pay Gillingham. His reputation seems good and at 22 I am not complaining

Quote:
Looks like another great signing. Proven at this level and bags of potential.

Quote:
Bloody good signing. Sweeting keeps proving himself, we already have Darling’s replacement in the building and if he ends up staying (yes, I known it’s unlikely) then we are almost sorted at the back.

Quote:
I have to say I know very little about him as a player and I'm not going to pretend otherwise but he seems to tick a lot of boxes. On the Sweeting spreadsheet, wanted by Championship clubs, a good age to develop and individual success in a terrible Gillingham team. This does feel a bit like Twine coming in last season. We wanted both him and Fraser but accepted Fraser may move on.

Devoy
Quote:
Needs to be given time, fear he’s been hyped up too much and people will jump on him if he doesn’t deliver instantly

Quote:
I'm confident Devoy will be a good player for us but much like Parrot might need a few months to find his feet and settle in.

Quote:
Excited by this one. Maybe he is the Twine replacement but sits a bit further back on midfield

Johnson
Quote:
Another experienced pro who will help push this young side and be a role model around the dressing room.

Quote:
I think that's a great point, perhaps the area that meant we fell short of promotion has been identified as the lack of senior players

Quote:
Our midfield is absolutely stacked now. How are we going to manage minutes for them all

Quote:
Seems a good low-risk signing who will be an asset on and off the pitch

Barry
Quote:
Yesterday I wasn't that excited due to him not breaking through to play much at Ipswich. However, I've changed my mind based on a few things I've read from various sources.

Quote:
I'm very excited to see how we use him and what he can offer

Quote:
First signing we’ve made this season that I think will be a disappointment. More than happy to be proved wrong though

Quote:
For me this one excites me the most of all the signings so far....Bookmark this as I think he will be one of the best in the group next season and flourish

Quote:
I’d say it’s a very good signing, as ****** points out he has all the attributes to be a class player, he will need a bit of moulding, but LM will put him on the right track and he could well be the surprise player.

Quote:
my gut feeling is he'll do well here under Manning.

Overall Team
Quote:
It's a policy I've been desperate for us to do for years. Instead of focusing mostly on the free transfer market of players dropping down the levels due to age, injury issues, etc - have a good quality scouting system and target more players doing well in lower / lesser leagues who are on their way up that we can get relatively cheap and sell on for a profit (thus funding the next ones, etc). So glad we're doing it, and doing it so effectively!

Quote:
That makes 11 players we've paid a fee/compensation for currently in the squad, can't think of any previous season where we've had so many players we've signed for a fee.

Quote:
Looking pretty good to me! Main area still in need is the wing-backs now - either one Kioso-esque player who can operate on both flanks, or two new players. And maybe an experienced, short-term striker to lead the line until Mo is back?

Quote:
Almost impossible to pick our strongest starting line up at the moment, without seeing Burns or Devoy feature for us. I also think Smith and Kemp will be different players this year and one of Robson/McEachran could lose their place in the starting 11.

Quote:
Overall, I think we're starting to look OK, but we look so different to last season and have lost so much quality. We're still a couple of decent signings away from where we need to be IMO.

Quote:
All depends on the budget we have left, the club has done really good business again by investing on players who should have a good return in the future as well as contributing now. We mustn't make the mistake of over investing in players to cover short term problems so I am happy without another first team striker or just a six month loan as either would be sitting on the bench or putting Eisa on the bench when he returns and I don't think we can afford to operate like that.

Quote:
Recruitment has been good so far but only because the glaring holes haven't been exposed due to sheer luck. We will be tempting fate going into another season with only 1 league 1 level GK, 3 CBS capable of starting, and only 1 striker good enough to start if last season's anything to go by.

Quote:
m pleased. When you assess "our business" I include players leaving in that.

Quote:
I think we have done well so far. It's still really early in the window. We have stuck to our new model based on bringing on young players with talent and potential for growth combined with quality experienced players. We have a strong coaching team which brings the best out of the squad.

Quote:
Big credit must be given to Pete for committing to the model and trusting in the talents of Liam Sweeting and his team. Also in the early days big decisions had to be taken which wouldn't have been easy but have proved to be hugely important over time

Last edited by cornerdon26 on Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:22 pm 

I woke up super early before work this morning, so thought what the fuck. We've spent months slagging off the recruitment team (myself included) but I could remember there was largely optimism in the summer about our signings. Other than the lack of new number 9 and a back up centre half, there was a genuine excitement around a lot of the players.

For the record the quotes include comments from me, very positive comments from a certain poster who is no longer with us and a real mix from regulars to users I am less familiar with.

I also didn't include who made the comments because this wasn't about calling people out. I just wanted to highlight how largely positive (there were some unexcited and negative comments about signings) the vibe was in the summer about who we signed.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:27 pm 

I see you haven't named names.:D

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:29 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
I see you haven't name names.:D

It wasn't about that at all, it wasn't about calling out individuals - I'd look like a fool for some of my comments :lol:

There were so many different posters I've quoted from extremely optimistic people like myself to those more grounded or even negative.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 9:30 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
I woke up super early before work this morning, so thought what the fuck. We've spent months slagging off the recruitment team (myself included) but I could remember there was largely optimism in the summer about our signings. Other than the lack of new number 9 and a back up centre half, there was a genuine excitement around a lot of the players.

For the record the quotes include comments from me, very positive comments from a certain poster who is no longer with us and a real mix from regulars to users I am less familiar with.

I also didn't include who made the comments because this wasn't about calling people out. I just wanted to highlight how largely positive (there were some unexcited and negative comments about signings) the vibe was in the summer about who we signed.

Yup, I’ve been saying this all along in response to the appalling abuse Sweeting has been getting (mainly on Twitter and FB)

Most people were excited about our signings, especially Tucker. People were raving about us bringing him in. It hasn’t worked out for whatever reason and now the sole blame is pointed at Sweeting.

Slightly unrelated, but I saw someone saying it was Winkelman’s fault that Jules got a red card :lol:

Lots of finger pointing and everyone want’s someone to blame

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:17 pm 

Pretty sure about 50% of those are from me :lol: I was so excited during the summer.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2023 10:19 pm 

I think we were still a bit giddy from the last campaign and believed the Sweeting magic wand had worked again.

I wasn’t impressed by Griggs last stint here and I’m certainly not impressed by this one :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 6:36 am 

Of course there was positivity. We had come off the best season we had since our promotion season and not one of us. Not even me was thinking it would turn out like this. However, last season how many were sweetings hand? A lot of last season was Martin. Love him or hate him (ok, hate him or hate him) he was responsible for nearly everything we had going for us. Twine and Darling were both Martin's watch. Even manning probably was more responsible for Coventry and Wickham for example due to his west ham and Ipswich connections. He has one window left to get it right. Start badly next season in whatever league we are in I will start throwing a lot more shit his way and I don't give a crap who hears it.

As I and others have said do we even have a scouting network anymore? A lot of this could have been avoided if we actually looked at players cause I can't believe we do.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 1:19 pm 

Thats a really interesting post and well done on putting it together.

I think what it highlghts for me is how disappointed I am with Johnson and Robson and also how much store fans put in a biog or youtube clip.

I dont doubt a few knew of the likes of tucker and oyegoke etc. but my money is on hardly any of the fanbase could of picked them out of a lineup prior to signing with us.

Tucker was the main stay of the defensive line of a team that was awful last season. Maybe that made him look half decent. Whatever he was doing there, must have deserted him now as he looks shot.

Robson was decent for us last year in a decent squad that maybe flattered to deceive but even taking that into account, hes better than he is showing currently and thats frustrating.

Johnson I know to be a decent player, hes shown it over a good career. Father time catches up at different pace for everyone and I guess its crept up on him faster than he or the club could have ever imagined.

Or maybe dropping down to the level we exist at kills a bit of a formerley higher level players soul. Its happened to better players than him. Keogh was garbage when he was here, Upson, Haman, Wickham. The list goes on. Perhaps the dawning realisation of the level they are now at just takes away the edge that they have lived on and at for the best part of all their playing career and whilst the mind is willing, their soul just isnt in it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 10, 2023 5:46 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
I see you haven't named names.:D

Seems I’m one of the only ones who didn’t say positive things, shows who knows their shit.