THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:50 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Time to sell Pete
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 5:42 pm 

I don't understand the hostility to Red Bull: their F1 team is a local employer and current the best in the business and their football teams are successful. I can't see it happening, but if Pete decides to sell, we could do worse.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:24 pm 

I'm OK with being a L1 club for the next few decades. I don't see the fascination with having to be in the PL or championship to be honest.
A few more fans and some more noise would be good but not bothered about busy car parks, not being able to get out of the ground for ages or hundreds of police being around every home game.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:33 pm 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
Ironically, I don't want my clubs identity to be completely overhauled. We are MK Dons. Not MK Red Bulls.

Hilariously ironic I know, but I've grown to care about what we represent as a club and who we are. Not simply having a successful football club in MK regardless what that means to the name, badge, colours, identity etc.

Yeah.. ironic.

I don't think it matters any more. A few years ago we had a club with strong community ties, lots of young local players coming through, attractive football and a bit of an 'us against the world' spirit. Doesn't seem like we have any of that now. The club feels cold, sterile, distant, faceless and unaccountable.

I always railed against a foreign/big business takeover because it would destroy all those little bits of soul that had been cultivated. But if they've already gone, it doesn't matter either way.

Sadly, I think this is the nub of it. We probably shouldn't forget that it was a game changing deal that bought the team to MK, maybe this is in our DNA and how we are destined to evolve.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:40 pm 

We’ve sold everything else, we might as well sell Pete.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:29 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Fuck Red Bull

Horrible drink. Pervasive, intrusive marketing. :oops:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:32 pm 

voxish wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
Fuck Red Bull

Horrible drink. Pervasive, intrusive marketing. :oops:

TGGI

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:16 pm 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
I don't understand the hostility to Red Bull: their F1 team is a local employer and current the best in the business and their football teams are successful. I can't see it happening, but if Pete decides to sell, we could do worse.

Hypothetically, if Red Bull were investors and whatnot there generally isn't an issue. But if they own the club, they change the name, the badge, alter the colours (we wear white and have red sometimes so not much to change there) and doctor the stadium with Red Bull imagery, adverts and logos every turn.

Being owned by Red Bull stops us being MK Dons.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:23 pm 

Linslade wrote:
Until Pete says enough is enough and sells to someone like Red Bull, are we destined to always be a League One club who occasionally drops down into L2 for a season or two? Championship is but a pie in the sky dream.

We all know Pete loves the club, but if he did sell it, surely the new owners could keep him involved in some capacity?

I don't think many of the fan base disagree with the idea that either a new ownership model or significant investment could be a positive step for the club. What I cannot agree with is the title of this thread. The time to sell is if, and when, there is genuine interest from an ownership group with significant finances that were seriously interested. We have no idea who may want us or if anyone does at all, particularly if we are heading to L2. We also don't know what sort of deal would be needed to land the club considering all the outside business aspects.

I love everything Winky has done for us, and I definitely err on the side of caution when it comes to wanting a new owner, but I wouldn't object to change in ownership if there was genuine interest. I know people will say well can it get worse, well yes it can get a lot worse. Fans are sombre, frustrated and some are angry, and whilst league position is fucking shit, there remains a level of stability within the club which I am thankful for - even if it is serving up a lot of shit right now.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:42 pm 

I think some people think a new owner means a better owner...

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:54 pm 

I went to watch MK Dons at Wrexham nearly 20 years ago (Aidie Whitbread was part of the setup, remember him?) and they were struggling financially. I thought we'd never play them again, and it would be onwards and upwards for us.

We might be playing them in August, and they could rightfully claim to be the bigger team, with a Club Mission.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next