THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Time to sell Pete
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:06 am 

Alby39 wrote:
Can I ask what the "dream" of Red Bull ownership is other than, erm, money?

Stability more than anything. The fact that they have a pritty good track record bar New York. Leipzig and Salzburg were nobodies until red bull took over. Why are you so against it? Any new owner is a risk but at least financially red bull wouldn't fuck us over but as I say it's a moot point as it will never happen

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:16 am 

Ironically, I don't want my clubs identity to be completely overhauled. We are MK Dons. Not MK Red Bulls.

Hilariously ironic I know, but I've grown to care about what we represent as a club and who we are. Not simply having a successful football club in MK regardless what that means to the name, badge, colours, identity etc.

Yeah.. ironic.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:21 am 

Russybcool wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
Can I ask what the "dream" of Red Bull ownership is other than, erm, money?

Stability more than anything. The fact that they have a pritty good track record bar New York. Leipzig and Salzburg were nobodies until red bull took over. Why are you so against it? Any new owner is a risk but at least financially red bull wouldn't fuck us over but as I say it's a moot point as it will never happen

They won the Austrian title in 94, 95 and 97, UEFA Cup Runners up in 94. Played in the UEFA Cup in the 70s and the 90's, as well as the Champions League in 95, 96 and 98. It has definitely brought them more success and a stability but they were far from nobodies.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:22 am 

Alby39 wrote:
Ironically, I don't want my clubs identity to be completely overhauled. We are MK Dons. Not MK Red Bulls.

Hilariously ironic I know, but I've grown to care about what we represent as a club and who we are. Not simply having a successful football club in MK regardless what that means to the name, badge, colours, identity etc.

Yeah.. ironic.

I don't think it matters any more. A few years ago we had a club with strong community ties, lots of young local players coming through, attractive football and a bit of an 'us against the world' spirit. Doesn't seem like we have any of that now. The club feels cold, sterile, distant, faceless and unaccountable.

I always railed against a foreign/big business takeover because it would destroy all those little bits of soul that had been cultivated. But if they've already gone, it doesn't matter either way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:58 am 

I vote that change works to bring that stuff back. Only less than a year agobwe we're perfectly fine off the field, fans were more together than ever. As quickly as it's built up, it's of course, gone pear-shaped, but that doesn't mean you just say fuck it and let some energy drink company change course.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:16 am 

Some very interesting comments on this thread - thanks. It is indeed complex. I suppose the gist of posting was to say as long as we continue as we are, we will be nothing more than a League One club at best...but maybe we have to resign ourselves to that and be content? But surely Pete had bigger ambitions when he started out..."we want to be Premiership" etc etc

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:17 am 

WABLO……well until next season.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:24 am 

Lieutenant Dan wrote:
donmentor wrote:
As far as I can see Pete's only option would be to retain the Stadium and Arena as events venues, retain the revenue streams, sell off all the land earmarked for various training ground locations and close down the football side.

He isn't allowed to do that even if he wanted to.

If I remember correctly, if the club drops to National League South level for two consecutive seasons (or there isn't a team playing in the stadium at all), then the ownership of the site reverts to the council.

In that case it would be even more difficult to find a buyer willing to accept that clause attatched to the deal.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:26 am 

donmentor wrote:
In that case it would be even more difficult to find a buyer willing to accept that clause attatched to the deal.

If any buyer is serious about actually running a professional football team, the covenant isn't an issue. That's why it's there, after all.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:04 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
I vote that change works to bring that stuff back. Only less than a year agobwe we're perfectly fine off the field, fans were more together than ever. As quickly as it's built up, it's of course, gone pear-shaped, but that doesn't mean you just say fuck it and let some energy drink company change course.

Hear hear.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next