THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 12:19 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Time to sell Pete
PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:49 pm 

Until Pete says enough is enough and sells to someone like Red Bull, are we destined to always be a League One club who occasionally drops down into L2 for a season or two? Championship is but a pie in the sky dream.

We all know Pete loves the club, but if he did sell it, surely the new owners could keep him involved in some capacity?

Sorry if this sounds pessimistic, but probably a culmination of all my frustrations over a truly awful season for us. Not sure even DM's relegation was as bad as this....I truly am struggling to think of ANY positives for us, on or off the pitch. Has there even been ONE player who has had a good season?!

P.S. A good Spurs friend of mine is trying to do the 92, and asked if I wanted to go to to Cheltenham v Lincoln tomorrow night to make it 70 for him! I said ok why not, and will be wanting Lincoln to win as Cheltenham nearer to us in points. That is how desperate this season is as a Dons fan!

I went to Cheltenham v Dons in October, and thought we were the better team. Never imagined come March we would be behind them...

Post subject: Re: Time to sell Pete
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:31 am 

Fuck Red Bull

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:06 am 

I was bit worried for the second that I thought you actually wanted to sell Pete.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 6:40 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
I was bit worried for the second that I thought you actually wanted to sell Pete.

Commas are pretty useful.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:17 am 

It doesn't sound pessimistic it sounds optimistic, Pete hasn't shown a huge inclination to sell and we are only aware of one approach (from Red Bull who were deterred by UEFA rules and haven't shown any interest since). We are also all aware the club can't simply be sold as it is tied into a larger group of companies which for example own the stadium, the new training ground, hotel etc so any sale would be complicated and expensive which may e another reason we haven't seen much interest.
Oh and that's without mentioning the lack of big money takeovers across the EFL.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:09 am 

Linslade wrote:
Until Pete says enough is enough and sells to someone like Red Bull, are we destined to always be a League One club who occasionally drops down into L2 for a season or two? Championship is but a pie in the sky dream.

We all know Pete loves the club, but if he did sell it, surely the new owners could keep him involved in some capacity?

Sorry if this sounds pessimistic, but probably a culmination of all my frustrations over a truly awful season for us. Not sure even DM's relegation was as bad as this....I truly am struggling to think of ANY positives for us, on or off the pitch. Has there even been ONE player who has had a good season?!

P.S. A good Spurs friend of mine is trying to do the 92, and asked if I wanted to go to to Cheltenham v Lincoln tomorrow night to make it 70 for him! I said ok why not, and will be wanting Lincoln to win as Cheltenham nearer to us in points. That is how desperate this season is as a Dons fan!

I went to Cheltenham v Dons in October, and thought we were the better team. Never imagined come March we would be behind them...

The reason we have a director of football is so Pete doesn't have to be as hands on as he was. I know it seems like it is an odd thing to have especially for a lowly 3rd tier club like ours. I have a strong feeling that now we can finally build the training complex he will sell which is why relegation to him is "unthinkable". Just sell to who. The Red Bull dream has been nixed by the footballing gods at UEFA so get that out of our heads, so we either sell to a really rich local fan like Coventry did (are we even old enough to have really rich fans) or a foreigner who doesn't care about us being a franchise. We have an amazing complex in place if the hotel is sold with it, but again that is a separate franchise so I am not too sure if that would be sold. Whoever comes in is going to have the same problem we are never going to grow the fan base as quick as we want and the fact is we will be a league 2 club unless a miracle happens. It worries me that the older Pete gets the less he will be involved and the last thing I want is (no offence) for someone like his son to be in charge.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:19 am 

Can I ask what the "dream" of Red Bull ownership is other than, erm, money?

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:20 am 

As far as I can see Pete's only option would be to retain the Stadium and Arena as events venues, retain the revenue streams, sell off all the land earmarked for various training ground locations and close down the football side.

Don't want that do we ? We must just continue supporting the club in it's present form through thick and thin.

What does need changing if the structure of, and some of the people on the admin side.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:25 am 

No matter how many times the Red Bull deal is explained, people will still demand Pete sells to them!

Pete did sell to Red Bull, UEFA blocked it. The deal was a no go then and its still a no go now. It can't be progressed.

As for selling the club, that is easier said than done. I highly doubt there's a bus full of millionaires/billionaires lining up waiting for Pete to sell. Pete has always said the club is up for sale, but only to the right person(s).

Remember, Pete has 1 chance at this. We currently have an owner that will protect the club at all costs, because he cares about the club. He doesn't want it falling into the wrong hands and then risking administration. Whoever Pete sells to, will not be a supporter of the club, unless we have a die hard MK Dons millionaire amongst our midst? Once Pete does sell, we're fully in the hands of a new owner and if thing's don't work out for him/her, they'll be looking to offload the club, but won't give the same care to who it goes to like Pete.

Selling a club is a major deal, not only is it incredible difficult for a League 1 team to find a suitable buyer, but its incredibly risky. It has to be done right.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:49 am 

donmentor wrote:
As far as I can see Pete's only option would be to retain the Stadium and Arena as events venues, retain the revenue streams, sell off all the land earmarked for various training ground locations and close down the football side.

He isn't allowed to do that even if he wanted to.

If I remember correctly, if the club drops to National League South level for two consecutive seasons (or there isn't a team playing in the stadium at all), then the ownership of the site reverts to the council.