THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue May 07, 2024 12:03 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:21 pm 

I know you like a drink and whatnot, we've had enough conversations in the past, I think I've just confused one point with another you've made previously

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:57 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
but for what I want at the football, stadium MK offers precious little, what Keyser, who I know and has posted about it before, and say dons50 want, is opposite to what I want entirely...

I can't speak for D50 but you're not entirely right about me. I do primarily go for the football itself and to chat to mates. But I don't enjoy the lack of atmosphere (I'm one who likes to sing) and I enjoy a pint or 6 before a game (but have to drive to S:MK so that's out, apart from one before and one at HT). I used to watch Man U from the Stretford End in the early 80s and the atmosphere was epic and I miss it. Apart from maybe Playoff games etc (and Man U of course), I never get that at S:MK, only at away games (Derby, Forest, Posh and St. Evenage away being amongst my faves).

What I don't want at football is coked-up, aggressive wanna-be hooligans. I saw enough of that shit in the 70s and 80s. I'm not saying that's what you want either BTW! I actually don't think what we want is all that different, other than now that I'm old I'd probably want the pub to be a little less boisterous than you might.

Why not? Better entertainment than the shite served on the pitch.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:11 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
I can't imagine a world where, say, Wetherspoons wouldn't be popular during the week, even... I go to the cinema often with my friend, and afterwards we enjoy a pint to catch up.. discuss the film etc. I'm sure many are the same. Same for shoppers. Spoons' food is popular because it's cheap (and disgusting) and its be popular with hotel residents* throughout the week.

* another reason a bar of any kind would never ben approved. Take away from the expensive bar(s) in the hotel.

I've recently started drinking at The In on the Lake which by pub to ground standards, the walk isn't that bad. Generally, I've encountered pubs that are further walks and it's a good 19 mins which is often a welcomed one when you've guzzler a few pints. It's just a "shame" (for want of a better word) it'd way too plush and cosy for football fans to congregate and use as a local.

It's a retail park though. Admittedly I've not visited many retail parks but of those that I have, I've never once seen a Weatherspoon's or similar venue there.

Almost every single Weatherspoon's I have been to, has either been in a town center or within a reasonable walk from a train station.

No venue that relies on alcohol sales being a large part of their revenue is ever going to open in a retail park.

I don't think I've seen many retail parks with about 6 restaurants, a cinema, a massive multi purpose stadium, a gym, an IKEA and hotel opposite either. I don't think it is quite right to simply call it a retail park when really there's a retail part as part of a much larger development.

I do agree about Spoons - that would never happen. Both in terms of council planning and due to the hotel. Most restaurants rely on booze as a large part of their revenue, especially somewhere like TGI's that are already there. But somewhere that is appealing as a dining experience before or after the cinema/shopping but would also contain more of a pub vibe I don't think would be out of place by any stretch in terms of popularity. I think the desert restaurant has a cocktail bar upstairs in their place. The real struggle would be permission from the hotel.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 8:29 pm 

Scum. wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
but for what I want at the football, stadium MK offers precious little, what Keyser, who I know and has posted about it before, and say dons50 want, is opposite to what I want entirely...

I can't speak for D50 but you're not entirely right about me. I do primarily go for the football itself and to chat to mates. But I don't enjoy the lack of atmosphere (I'm one who likes to sing) and I enjoy a pint or 6 before a game (but have to drive to S:MK so that's out, apart from one before and one at HT). I used to watch Man U from the Stretford End in the early 80s and the atmosphere was epic and I miss it. Apart from maybe Playoff games etc (and Man U of course), I never get that at S:MK, only at away games (Derby, Forest, Posh and St. Evenage away being amongst my faves).

What I don't want at football is coked-up, aggressive wanna-be hooligans. I saw enough of that shit in the 70s and 80s. I'm not saying that's what you want either BTW! I actually don't think what we want is all that different, other than now that I'm old I'd probably want the pub to be a little less boisterous than you might.

Ha ha. But no. :ugeek:
No No No.
70s/early 80s football was not 'entertaining' - in terms of 'the whole matchday experience' IMHO. I was young then :roll: and had no kids but didn't EVER empathise with the violence that was prevalent at so may games. I didn't relish getting attacked for 'looking wrongly' at someone (same in the pub) and I never wore colours. When I had kids and started taking them to NHS, at first I was a bit...well, yes 'worried' I'd had years 'out' and if it was going to be like before I didn't want them to be exposed to it.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 9:42 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Scum. wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

Ha ha. But no. :ugeek:
No No No.
70s/early 80s football was not 'entertaining' - in terms of 'the whole matchday experience' IMHO. I was young then :roll: and had no kids but didn't EVER empathise with the violence that was prevalent at so may games. I didn't relish getting attacked for 'looking wrongly' at someone (same in the pub) and I never wore colours. When I had kids and started taking them to NHS, at first I was a bit...well, yes 'worried' I'd had years 'out' and if it was going to be like before I didn't want them to be exposed to it.

Our sizeable yoof element don’t throw darts or petrol bombs at people so it’s all groovy.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:02 pm 

Scum. wrote:
Our sizeable yoof element don’t throw darts or petrol bombs at people so it’s all groovy.

Not fucking trying then, are they. Buy some meat cleavers. Do it properly.

Fucking young people today... grumble...

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2023 1:11 pm 

*takes notes*

*meat cleaver
*petrol bomb

See you at *redacted* away

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 67 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7