THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:31 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:45 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
This club is broken. In every sense of the word. Jackson is not the man, he never was but it’s not his fault and changing him now would be a pointless, expensive exercise.

The Dons need to reset because the recruitment this season is the worst I have ever seen at this club. I would love to see how much money has been put into the team, as I would suspect PW is the only person that comes out of this financially better off.

I'm not sure PW will come out of it better off. We paid a lot of money for players like Grant and Tucker and they are worth virtually zero now. Plus we'll miss out of the big crowds like Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Bolton, etc, are less likely to get far in the cups, will have to reduce the ticket prices for league games and could see another reduction in attendances

I agree. He's not made good decisions but I very, very much doubt it (MK Dons and the other companies) was all a scheme for him to personally massively enrich himself quickly and easily. Make money yes obviously; that's what entrepreneurs do but 'make a vast fortune? - I know that is not what has been said. He's no fool and he will have known how difficult running a football club successfully is. He's, IMHO, undoubtable underestimated how much his existing business acumen and the help of others would have helped him with this. But I've never bought into an argument it was all for him to 'make millions' and that he never cared about football (Again, I know that is not what was said above - I'm just sayin!!).

I don’t think it started like that either, but PW surely will be thinking that retirement is on the horizon and he’s one decent offer away from that.

I am probably wrong.

Who would be silly enough to buy the most hated club in English football though? We make little financial sense to buy and PW will want far too much I expect.

I'm still hopeful that we are planning on sorting everything out for L2 next season but currently have almost zero confidence that we'll put a team and staff together to come back up.

We basically need a bunch of brick shithouses and we are lacking in that department. We also need to get rid of a lot of players and I'm not sure who will want to buy them off us.

Disagree with this. No club makes financial sense, you're always going to lose money when investing in football.

The club has a lot more going for it than a lot of other EFL teams. You've got significant untapped potential in terms of supporter reach. 300k population in MK and no other professional football team close by. I live in Bedfordshire (Biggleswade area) and MK is the closest team for a lot of people (Stevenage is a shit hole and is well avoided).

You've got the stadium infrastructure already in place and the training ground on its way (hopefully).

Compare us to a lot of other League 1 and League 2 teams and we're up their in terms of investment attractiveness.

Seems to be one professional club in Bedfordshire who seem to be doing pretty well these days?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:48 pm 

Zeberdee wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
This club is broken. In every sense of the word. Jackson is not the man, he never was but it’s not his fault and changing him now would be a pointless, expensive exercise.

The Dons need to reset because the recruitment this season is the worst I have ever seen at this club. I would love to see how much money has been put into the team, as I would suspect PW is the only person that comes out of this financially better off.

I'm not sure PW will come out of it better off. We paid a lot of money for players like Grant and Tucker and they are worth virtually zero now. Plus we'll miss out of the big crowds like Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Bolton, etc, are less likely to get far in the cups, will have to reduce the ticket prices for league games and could see another reduction in attendances

I agree. He's not made good decisions but I very, very much doubt it (MK Dons and the other companies) was all a scheme for him to personally massively enrich himself quickly and easily. Make money yes obviously; that's what entrepreneurs do but 'make a vast fortune? - I know that is not what has been said. He's no fool and he will have known how difficult running a football club successfully is. He's, IMHO, undoubtable underestimated how much his existing business acumen and the help of others would have helped him with this. But I've never bought into an argument it was all for him to 'make millions' and that he never cared about football (Again, I know that is not what was said above - I'm just sayin!!).

I don’t think it started like that either, but PW surely will be thinking that retirement is on the horizon and he’s one decent offer away from that.

I am probably wrong.

Who would be silly enough to buy the most hated club in English football though? We make little financial sense to buy and PW will want far too much I expect.

I'm still hopeful that we are planning on sorting everything out for L2 next season but currently have almost zero confidence that we'll put a team and staff together to come back up.

We basically need a bunch of brick shithouses and we are lacking in that department. We also need to get rid of a lot of players and I'm not sure who will want to buy them off us.

Disagree with this. No club makes financial sense, you're always going to lose money when investing in football.

The club has a lot more going for it than a lot of other EFL teams. You've got significant untapped potential in terms of supporter reach. 300k population in MK and no other professional football team close by. I live in Bedfordshire (Biggleswade area) and MK is the closest team for a lot of people (Stevenage is a shit hole and is well avoided).

You've got the stadium infrastructure already in place and the training ground on its way (hopefully).

Compare us to a lot of other League 1 and League 2 teams and we're up their in terms of investment attractiveness.

Seems to be one professional club in Bedfordshire who seem to be doing pretty well these days?

Yeah, but its Luton. Would rather go to Kabul.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:06 pm 

Seems to be one professional club in Bedfordshire who seem to be doing pretty well these days?[/quote]

Yeah, but its Luton. Would rather go to Kabul.[/quote]
Spot on. Luton.....Enough F- said mate.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:29 pm 

Jackson is not an improvement, he’s the same cheap option we always seem to go for, with zero experience of league 1, it’s not his fault, PW and Sweeting have to burden the blame for this, as it seems pretty obvious he’s out of his depth, the squad isn’t the greatest I’ll grant you that, but until we appoint a manager/head coach who’s got the knowledge and experience of league 1 and now league 2 as well, the downward spiral will continue.

It’s definitely time to hit the re set button

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:45 pm 

AB4 wrote:
Who would be silly enough to buy the most hated club in English football?

Money doesn’t give a fuck about that. Plus, the hatred is far, far less than it was.

When Pete wants to sell, as long as he sells the entire thing, he’ll have lots of interest.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 9:59 pm 

Previous relegations you could see it coming and with the club in a steep learning curve and infancy it was sort of to be expected. This time round the club have pressed an almighty self destruct button, combined with massive incompetence and it's just all very hard to accept.

After last season the fall from grace is intolerable.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:21 pm 

I'm sure he'd probably do himself more justice under better circumstances. Unfortunately coaches often get their chances when managers are sacked and there's a decline. I'm not convinced he has the answers and the knowhow to get us through this. You could argue whether anyone could, but there have been several questionable decisions, whether it's sitting on his hands for half of January so he could see for himself how shit our team are, to some of the recent team selection.

The reality is, he's part of the problem, as was Manning, but the other culprits have a lot to answer for.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:46 pm 

Just to add, I have noticed his last 3 press conferences have been very subdued. He strikes me as a very passionate chap, but he almost looks and sounds like how we feel as fans. Flat and no idea what to do or where to turn.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 11:54 pm 

BuckDon wrote:
Just to add, I have noticed his last 3 press conferences have been very subdued. He strikes me as a very passionate chap, but he almost looks and sounds like how we feel as fans. Flat and no idea what to do or where to turn.

His presser today after the game was exactly this.

I am sure he's a decent coach. I like him, I like how he thinks about the game. But we have some unsuitable players and those that are alright don't fit as a squad. We've been unlucky as fuck as well, think about O'Hora's and then Stewart's injury. It is a shit season and the current squad would finish about 11th in League 2. I felt we were down at the Shrewsbury home game with the single bad error punished ruthlessly. I remember us giving away bad late goals in the Championship too - a sure sign of a relegated team.

I feel back for Jacko. It would take an extraordinary manager to get us out of our shit given the constraints of the squad and the insistence we have to play "nice football". Fuck, I don't care - hoofball is alright if it gets you places, we aren't Man City ffs. I'm very sceptical about playing keepball and short passes in defence with League 1 players, always have been.

I'm most worried about the squad's fitness. We tail off heavily too often.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:28 am 

BuckDon wrote:

This shit pisses me off. It's not like he couldn't look at videos on YouTube and see how poor we are. It's not like he couldn't look at the league table and see how poor we are. Why take the fucking job? I mean he may have lost his job at Leeds when Jessie the cowboy was fired but I have no sympathy he went in with eyes wide open but then again he just wanted to manage a first team knowing full well he has no expearence bar siix months of being anywhere near a first team.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next