THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:08 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
This club is broken. In every sense of the word. Jackson is not the man, he never was but it’s not his fault and changing him now would be a pointless, expensive exercise.

The Dons need to reset because the recruitment this season is the worst I have ever seen at this club. I would love to see how much money has been put into the team, as I would suspect PW is the only person that comes out of this financially better off.

I'm not sure PW will come out of it better off. We paid a lot of money for players like Grant and Tucker and they are worth virtually zero now. Plus we'll miss out of the big crowds like Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Bolton, etc, are less likely to get far in the cups, will have to reduce the ticket prices for league games and could see another reduction in attendances

I agree. He's not made good decisions but I very, very much doubt it (MK Dons and the other companies) was all a scheme for him to personally massively enrich himself quickly and easily. Make money yes obviously; that's what entrepreneurs do but 'make a vast fortune? - I know that is not what has been said. He's no fool and he will have known how difficult running a football club successfully is. He's, IMHO, undoubtable underestimated how much his existing business acumen and the help of others would have helped him with this. But I've never bought into an argument it was all for him to 'make millions' and that he never cared about football (Again, I know that is not what was said above - I'm just sayin!!).

I don’t think it started like that either, but PW surely will be thinking that retirement is on the horizon and he’s one decent offer away from that.

I am probably wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:11 pm 

RedOnRed wrote:
To be fair it's highly likely that no manager could weave any magic with this bunch. Every player has been extremely poor this season. The worst thing probably is that they're probably not even good enough to get us out of League 2.

Yep.

Last edited by Pseudonym on Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:18 pm 

ChaChaDon wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
This club is broken. In every sense of the word. Jackson is not the man, he never was but it’s not his fault and changing him now would be a pointless, expensive exercise.

The Dons need to reset because the recruitment this season is the worst I have ever seen at this club. I would love to see how much money has been put into the team, as I would suspect PW is the only person that comes out of this financially better off.

I'm not sure PW will come out of it better off. We paid a lot of money for players like Grant and Tucker and they are worth virtually zero now. Plus we'll miss out of the big crowds like Sheff Weds, Ipswich, Bolton, etc, are less likely to get far in the cups, will have to reduce the ticket prices for league games and could see another reduction in attendances

I agree. He's not made good decisions but I very, very much doubt it (MK Dons and the other companies) was all a scheme for him to personally massively enrich himself quickly and easily. Make money yes obviously; that's what entrepreneurs do but 'make a vast fortune? - I know that is not what has been said. He's no fool and he will have known how difficult running a football club successfully is. He's, IMHO, undoubtable underestimated how much his existing business acumen and the help of others would have helped him with this. But I've never bought into an argument it was all for him to 'make millions' and that he never cared about football (Again, I know that is not what was said above - I'm just sayin!!).

I don’t think it started like that either, but PW surely will be thinking that retirement is on the horizon and he’s one decent offer away from that.

I am probably wrong.

Who would be silly enough to buy the most hated club in English football though? We make little financial sense to buy and PW will want far too much I expect.

I'm still hopeful that we are planning on sorting everything out for L2 next season but currently have almost zero confidence that we'll put a team and staff together to come back up.

We basically need a bunch of brick shithouses and we are lacking in that department. We also need to get rid of a lot of players and I'm not sure who will want to buy them off us.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:43 pm 

AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:

I am probably wrong.

Who would be silly enough to buy the most hated club in English football though? We make little financial sense to buy and PW will want far too much I expect.

I'm still hopeful that we are planning on sorting everything out for L2 next season but currently have almost zero confidence that we'll put a team and staff together to come back up.

We basically need a bunch of brick shithouses and we are lacking in that department. We also need to get rid of a lot of players and I'm not sure who will want to buy them off us.

Disagree with this. No club makes financial sense, you're always going to lose money when investing in football.

The club has a lot more going for it than a lot of other EFL teams. You've got significant untapped potential in terms of supporter reach. 300k population in MK and no other professional football team close by. I live in Bedfordshire (Biggleswade area) and MK is the closest team for a lot of people (Stevenage is a shit hole and is well avoided).

You've got the stadium infrastructure already in place and the training ground on its way (hopefully).

Compare us to a lot of other League 1 and League 2 teams and we're up their in terms of investment attractiveness.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:55 pm 

honestly not sure spending is the problem this season.

dennis
grant
tucker
burns
devoy
leko
dean

all signed for fees, most of them I would imagine six figures. not close to the £6-7m that came in from twine, darling, and kasumu obviously but wouldn't be responsible for a league 1 club to spend millions in one window. it was just spent badly — doubt we'd be much worse off if we'd brought in solely frees and loans.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 7:59 pm 

rosie47 wrote:
honestly not sure spending is the problem this season.

dennis
grant
tucker
burns
devoy
leko
dean

all signed for fees, most of them I would imagine six figures. not close to the £6-7m that came in from twine, darling, and kasumu obviously but wouldn't be responsible for a league 1 club to spend millions in one window. it was just spent badly — doubt we'd be much worse off if we'd brought in solely frees and loans.

I can't see one player who has really made a difference. I don't know what data the club is looking at, however they ought to bung it in the bin, as it means diddly squat.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:02 pm 

East Wing Don wrote:
AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:

I am probably wrong.

Disagree with this. No club makes financial sense, you're always going to lose money when investing in football.

The club has a lot more going for it than a lot of other EFL teams. You've got significant untapped potential in terms of supporter reach. 300k population in MK and no other professional football team close by. I live in Bedfordshire (Biggleswade area) and MK is the closest team for a lot of people (Stevenage is a shit hole and is well avoided).

You've got the stadium infrastructure already in place and the training ground on its way (hopefully).

Compare us to a lot of other League 1 and League 2 teams and we're up their in terms of investment attractiveness.

Good point about the other L1/2 clubs. Although how many takeovers at this level to well and keep the club in good shape? Bristol City, Bournemouth and Bolton I can remember as good takeovers. The rest are usually jokers looking to take as much out of the club as they can before doing a runner. I certainly wouldn't want a Laurence Bassini type character buying the club and PW is 1000% better.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:06 pm 

AB4 wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
AB4 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:

I am probably wrong.

Good point about the other L1/2 clubs. Although how many takeovers at this level to well and keep the club in good shape? Bristol City, Bournemouth and Bolton I can remember as good takeovers. The rest are usually jokers looking to take as much out of the club as they can before doing a runner. I certainly wouldn't want a Laurence Bassini type character buying the club and PW is 1000% better.

Oh yeah I agree completely. Whilst we may be a relatively attractive prospect compared to other clubs, that doesn't mean getting investment is easy.

Pete has always been honest and said the club is always up for sale, but only to the right person(s). He's not going to sell or accept major investment from someone who doesn't have the clubs best interests at heart.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:37 pm 

Manning deserved to go. The lack of improvement doesn't mean it was wrong. The form under him was atrocious. It wouldn't have picked up and we were right to give it a try at something new.

It hasn't necessarily got worse, it just hasn't improved. The writing was in the wall way before LM got sacked, which is why I feel it should've been done post Bristol Rovers (H)... when MJ came in, his interviews saying that little needs to change as we have a good group here terrified me.... if he, or anyone else came in in October, he'd have figured out by Jan that that comment isn't accurate and big improvements and changes needed to be made.

I don't blame MJ, much like Micciche, I blame the club for hiring him. I am bored of him already and I can't warm to him at all, he means we'll and is a lovely bloke. But ultimately he isn't doing good enough. Sooner this season ends and we have a reset the better.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2023 8:39 pm 

"The most hated club" etc is 'Old Hat'.
If there is a (realistic) chance to make a 'decent' return (whatever that is and over what period) someone will buy us(the whole shebang not MK Dons FC) - if PW wanted to sell. And I wish he F- would.

Who is really going to be disturbed that sales of 'whatever their core product is' is going to be torpedoed by buying us?? It's a big issue for 'our deluded friends' and several thousand other idiots who have nothing else to concern themselves with but for the majority.....
Nah. Nads.
Sell up Pete.
Thanks.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next