THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: We're down
PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 8:40 am 

I dont recall what attendances were like during our last league 2 season, gers, they arent fresh in the memory but people are more likely to come if we are at the top of league 2 in search of promotion than another dross season in league 1. Although youre right, november will be too soon to reap the benefits of an inflated promotion crowd and we will probably still be suffering a hangover from the shite this season.

Cost of living will have a huge impact this time around though, noones rushing to shell out for mk dons vs barrow in january when its the difference between saving rainy day money for bills and food.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:55 am 

The first time in L2 was at the Hockey Stadium with average attendance of 6034.

The first season at staduimMk in L2 was average of 9456.

Probably not a good indicator of what to expect next year as the novelty of the new stadium will have contributed to that high figure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:09 pm 

donmentor wrote:
The first time in L2 was at the Hockey Stadium with average attendance of 6034.

The first season at staduimMk in L2 was average of 9456.

Probably not a good indicator of what to expect next year as the novelty of the new stadium will have contributed to that high figure.

Novelty of the new stadium plus we were on TV that season when we beat Lincoln 4-0 and did a promo - think we got 13-14K that day.

We'll average 5.5-6K next season I think.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:12 pm 

4K-5K imo, loads will stop going

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 10:20 am 

I am not sure the league makes much difference to our home crowd, it’s the football - I suspect if we are playing well and winning week in week out at the top of L2 more will come than they do at the minute watching the dross we are seeing week in week out

We won’t have the big away following so overall attendances will be lower

There is also no way with this squad we will be competing at the top of L2 next season

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:34 am 

Morecambe pick up wins at home, Burton are capable home and away, and Stanley always grind out wins at their place, yet our lot have 2 home wins and a staggering number of defeats. These other teams lead the way when it comes to passion, drive and commitment. Jacko must be looking on and shaking his head.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 12:43 pm 

BetterCallSaul wrote:
4K-5K imo, loads will stop going

Had myself a season ticket since 2008 and been to around 60 different grounds following the Dons doing a number of grounds several times. Yet, this is the first time myself and my old man have questioned the continuation of our season tickets next year...

The only thing clinging me on that the moment is; what else would I do on a Saturday afternoon?

I know there will be many more in the same boat as myself, and it's not difficult to see why!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 1:06 pm 

Over the Summer when we last got relegated, everyone (and I mean everyone) around where I sit said they won't be coming back.

Everyone barring one bloke came back. Ince the first ball is kicked and the excitement of transfers, warm weather for a bit and a game of football to watch, those who've been here long enough will stay put. Generally speaking.

However it's incredibly naive and silly to suggest being a big fish in a small pond will make it enjoyable. It wasn't fucking enjoyable last time. Almost everyone who looks back on that season looks back in disdain and frustration for the majority. The football was painfully average, the atmospheres were ahite. The pitches were crap. The tactics were crap (from both sides), we were a big(ger) fish in that small pond so everyone came for a point, sat back, time wasted (I'm all for it but it doesn't make it enjoyable.), and did their best to make the games stale and boring.

How anyone can think it'd be forward move is beyond me. We're not Manchester City with a progressive Guardiola style of play and a silky brand of football that'll see us walk a League and win by a 2/3 goal scoreline every week. We won't do a Burnley...
... as for the crowds of people who'd prefer to watch a team higher up League Two than now... Well, they didn't come last time....

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Mon Mar 06, 2023 2:54 pm 

Gers wrote:
When we go down, it'll be a bit of a death-knell for the club. We'll be lucky to see gates of 3000. Sub 3000 in that stadium on a wet Saturday afternoon in November! Certainly looking forward to that.

I don't think that it'll be quite as bad as that young man but a far more sobering thought is that it's possible that AFCW's average home attendance will exceed ours for the first time ever if we go down.

MK Dons
2021/22 9,255
2022/23 8,354

AFCW
2021/22 7,690 (relegated to L2)
2022/23 7,626
If we lose a thousand off our average attendance we'll be neck and neck!

Looking at Robbo's figures we averaged 8,860 between the 2010/11 and 2014/15 seasons that he was manager in L1 (I've not counted the Championship season or the season that he was sacked to remove any "noise"). His first season in charge we averaged 8,513 as a comparison to our current situation. The last time we were in L2 (2018/19) we averaged 8,182.