THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next
 Post subject: Re: Live! Lincoln (Away)
PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:03 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
But he doesn't "just" do that does he?

I totally get if he's not someone's cup of tea but you're almost suggesting he isn't a half decent manager. He is.

What about the other half? Five years at Oxford without ever pushing boundaries. I mean we have only had one less play off campaign and we for most of the last five years have been shit.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:10 pm 

Alby39 wrote:

I totally get if he's not someone's cup of tea but you're almost suggesting he isn't a half decent manager. He is.

Perhaps he's half decent. But no better than that. I think your connection to him creates a halo effect that makes you think he's better than he is.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2023 11:17 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Emotion goes a long way though. If you've got a manager who buys into the club and shows loyalty and commitment to the city, fans, ethos and the history, its a massive thing for a lower league club.

Other than that, he's a good manager. He's not the best but if we're looking at other options he's surely no worse than anyone else?

Since he left us did naff all with Charlton and a little bit more at Oxford. These were both clubs with more ambitions and even budget that us. He wouldn't get anything more out of these lot than jacko can. Yeah jacko dropped a bollock with his team selection tonight but apart from that we were not worse than Lincoln yet they sit mid table. We are a bizarre club this season but we are still not out of this

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:27 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

Perhaps he's half decent. But no better than that. I think your connection to him creates a halo effect that makes you think he's better than he is.

Quite the contrary. I don't think he's any better than a competent League One manager and at a time we look to be going down, and even if we stay up, I don't think we have any right to look at anything past competent League One managers. We've no right to be looking past a manager like him like we're better.

"What has he done for Oxford"... he's got them to two playoff campaigns, one a final against a side we also lost to in the playoffs. We know what a difficult side Wycombe are in big matches.
I sat elsewhere and made a case for other managers like Darren Ferguson, people didn't want him because of who he is as a person. But as a manager he's exactly what we'd need. It's not just Karl Robinson, I'm just making the point that he's not a manager we can turn our nose up at.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 7:10 am 

Alby39 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

Quite the contrary. I don't think he's any better than a competent League One manager and at a time we look to be going down, and even if we stay up, I don't think we have any right to look at anything past competent League One managers. We've no right to be looking past a manager like him like we're better.

"What has he done for Oxford"... he's got them to two playoff campaigns, one a final against a side we also lost to in the playoffs. We know what a difficult side Wycombe are in big matches.
I sat elsewhere and made a case for other managers like Darren Ferguson, people didn't want him because of who he is as a person. But as a manager he's exactly what we'd need. It's not just Karl Robinson, I'm just making the point that he's not a manager we can turn our nose up at.

You are missing two key fundementals.

Is he going to want to slum it in league two and do we have the money to sack Jackson unless he is only on a contract till the end of the season. Not much of it any change of manager would bring. Yeah I'm sure it would be nice for some to get the Scouse jesus back to his holy land but I don't see him as the lower league pep just a man who seems that cruise and that 8 game losing streak that got him sacked is a *chefs kiss* of mediocrity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:15 am 

Seems to be the Grigg and Eisa effect at play with Karl.
Was once good but now mediocre but have them anyway as it may come good

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 9:30 am 

Russybcool wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
Emotion goes a long way though. If you've got a manager who buys into the club and shows loyalty and commitment to the city, fans, ethos and the history, its a massive thing for a lower league club.

Other than that, he's a good manager. He's not the best but if we're looking at other options he's surely no worse than anyone else?

Since he left us did naff all with Charlton and a little bit more at Oxford. These were both clubs with more ambitions and even budget that us. He wouldn't get anything more out of these lot than jacko can. Yeah jacko dropped a bollock with his team selection tonight but apart from that we were not worse than Lincoln yet they sit mid table. We are a bizarre club this season but we are still not out of this

Disagree with this. He's kept Oxford in and around the play offs consistently for 4 years, this is really his first bad season with them. As for Charlton, who has done a good job there since him? They must have had countless managers, who have all 'failed'. Harsh to judge him on his time there.

For us, he's the only manager to get us to the Championship and via the auto's too. The football was exciting under Robinson as well.

We were right to part ways with him when we did. Everything had become a bit stale and it was time for both parties to move on.

If we go down, I think he is exactly what we need. At a time when the fan base seems to be at its most divisive and their is a lot of anger at the club, Robinson would go someway to rebuild that and 95% of our fan base love him and rightly so.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 11:13 am 

Russybcool wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

Is he going to want to slum it in league two and do we have the money to sack Jackson unless he is only on a contract till the end of the season. Not much of it any change of manager would bring. Yeah I'm sure it would be nice for some to get the Scouse jesus back to his holy land but I don't see him as the lower league pep just a man who seems that cruise and that 8 game losing streak that got him sacked is a *chefs kiss* of mediocrity

1- yes? If the jobs right to rebuild a club why would he turn don a good job to stay in a division higher when he might not even be offered a job?

2 - if you think we hired Jackson to get us promoted next season, and not keep us up this season I'm staggered. See Dan Micciche.

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:24 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Alby39 wrote:

1- yes? If the jobs right to rebuild a club why would he turn don a good job to stay in a division higher when he might not even be offered a job?

2 - if you think we hired Jackson to get us promoted next season, and not keep us up this season I'm staggered. See Dan Micciche.

No, we hired Jackson cause he was cheap and desperate to manage a football club. We don't spend money on sackings without being the last of last resorts I am staggered you can't see that (See when we actually sacked Manning which SHOULD have happened two months previous). You think it is just a click of a finger and we can get rid of a manager. Of course we hired a manager to try and keep us up that is a bit of a silly comment. As far as I know Jacksons contract was unconfirmed hence why I said if he goes at the end of the season then of course we would look for a new manager, but if it isn't then I am sorry I don't care if Robbo comes back or not. I thought we were all told to support our current gaffer, not someone who left 7 seasons ago who has just been part of Oxford worst run in a long while.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 01, 2023 12:28 pm 

Having just spoken to someone at work this very here morning that knows him, it's certainly a no from me. Much as I love him for what he did here, I'd never have him back.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 171 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18  Next