THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:00 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:43 am 

Zen wrote:
‘Suffering becomes beautiful when anyone bears great calamities with cheerfulness, not through insensibility but through greatness of mind.’ - Aristotle

The sweet and merciful relief of relegation and league 2 is coming, the odour of their decaying terracing and the sights of their huffing and puffing downwardly spiralling footballers now tantalisingly close. There is beauty in the suffering we are enduring - I for one am embracing it. Blow ye fowl winds, bring me another kit of filth and delayed production dear Castore, run ye Griggy into nowhere producing nothingness and let corner after corner fizz onto opponents heads and billow our net once more.

Don’t fight it people - embrace it.

Very poetic.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:46 am 

Gers wrote:
That was one of the most miserable experiences I can remember since I started following this team. I was absolutely fucking frozen. I get that technically my seat is actually below ground, but yesterday was the coldest I can remember feeling at any ground since I started going to matches. Which I was reliably informed by my late father was 1966. I can’t blame Sweeting for the weather, but by fuck was I cold.

I went to Lewington’s before the match, and sadly I’ve come to the conclusion that it would be better if that place was shut down. It’s fucking rubbish now. Gone are the halcyon days of last season. It’s nothing short of a wind tunnel, and it was so cold in there that I couldn’t get warm no matter what I tried, and basically that set the tone for the rest of the afternoon.

Bar the 5 seconds where we had 5 shots at their goal, which they somehow miraculously stopped from going in, we had absolutely nothing. At one point in the second half we were attacking their goal (I’m using ‘attacking’ under advisement here). Somehow, Ipswich had nine outfield players in defence. If you include the ‘keeper, they had ten players defending against our three attackers. Now, obviously Ipswich aren’t the sort of team to sit back on a one-nil lead. So what does that say about the way they were organised? It says that not only have they got better players than us, it also says that they’re better coached. It’s sadly looking like Jackson isn’t the man that can get us out of the mess Sweeting has landed us in. At one point during one of Ipswich’s many attacks, their ‘keeper was doing star-jumps to try and keep warm as he had fuck all else to do.

Folk began leaving on the 74th minute. Not just a few drips and drabs, loads of folk. Up out of their seats and heading for the exit, and the warmth of anywhere but stadium:mk. I went to the loo on the 80th minute (a man in his 60’s, too many beers, what can you say!). As I was walking back to my seat I thought “What the fuck am I doing? Why am I going back to get even more cold watching this crap?” and quickly turned around and headed to Asda where The Current Mrs Gers was waiting to pick me up. I’ve recently bought a new car, which she was driving. Almost top of the range Mini. Those heated seats were fired right up as high as they’d go.

If season ticket renewal day was last night I’d genuinely have ripped the fucking thing up. There’s nothing to entice me to go back. Nothing. Shite overpriced beer, served by kids. An ice tomb of a bar to drink it in. The guy who sits behind me is the most foulmouthed, opinionated, boring wanker I’ve ever had the displeasure to encounter in my six decades upon this planet, and he’d brought a friend who was an even bigger Ladybit than him. I was beginning to lose my temper with them, and at one point my son had to remind me that folk are entitled to their own opinion, and that I needed to calm down.

The Current Mrs Gers asked why I go if I’m obviously not enjoying it, and to be honest I couldn’t find a reason. She also asked if I’d renew our season tickets next season if, or more likely when, we get regulated. As I’ve said above, if you’d asked me last night I’d definitely have said no fucking way. There’s a million things I could on a Saturday afternoon in winter that would actually bring me pleasure. Making music in my studio. Reading. Watching a film. Listening to music. Shopping for even more expensive clothes that I don’t really need. Anything. The prospect of L2 football next season is not something that I’m looking forward to. Far from it.

I’ve put a lot of time, money and effort into following this club. But at the moment, sitting in my kitchen on a Sunday morning, it feels like I’ve wasted my time.

I didn't (bother to) go but if I had I don't think I could have phrased things better. Excellent post.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 10:03 am 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
WellDon wrote:
Camdenite wrote:
WellDon - Just a point of order to mention.

Matt Dennis isn’t injured. Or if he is, it’s not an issue. He’s on loan at Sutton ;)
Bugger…..I keep doing this.
Camden in being right shocker ;)

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 11:26 am 

WellDon wrote:
Zen wrote:
‘Suffering becomes beautiful when anyone bears great calamities with cheerfulness, not through insensibility but through greatness of mind.’ - Aristotle

The sweet and merciful relief of relegation and league 2 is coming, the odour of their decaying terracing and the sights of their huffing and puffing downwardly spiralling footballers now tantalisingly close. There is beauty in the suffering we are enduring - I for one am embracing it. Blow ye fowl winds, bring me another kit of filth and delayed production dear Castore, run ye Griggy into nowhere producing nothingness and let corner after corner fizz onto opponents heads and billow our net once more.

Very poetic.

If we’re embracing stoicism then my next dental appointment will not be involving any local anaesthetic.

Yep - feels about the same as watching the Dons and just as expensive. ;) :?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 1:19 pm 

Pseudonym wrote:
WellDon wrote:
Zen wrote:

Very poetic.

If we’re embracing stoicism then my next dental appointment will not be involving any local anaesthetic.

Yep - feels about the same as watching the Dons and just as expensive. ;) :?

You have (found) a dentist? Blimey!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:17 pm 

On the stats it gives us 3 shots on target when we had 5 in just the 10th minute scramble and I can't agree with you on the ref
She was very weak and Ipswich exploited it right from the kick off when she had to fetch them to line up and was ignored.
She missed a blatant elbow on Devoy as did the linesman so probably more his fault.
After the goal there is celebrations and celebrations but again they took the piss by totally ignoring her and one of the players actually started walking back towards our goal after reaching the centre circle just to have a finger wagging.
Very weak and very poor from all three officials.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:33 pm 

As far as I know, a shot on target has to at least reach the goalkeeper, else it counts as a blocked shot. Leko's tame 1-yarder and the first Eisa shot count as "blocked shots", don't they?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 6:48 pm 

paul4040 wrote:
As far as I know, a shot on target has to at least reach the goalkeeper, else it counts as a blocked shot. Leko's tame 1-yarder and the first Eisa shot count as "blocked shots", don't they?

Correct. A blocked shot, regardless if its heading on target, is not counted as a shot on target.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:09 pm 

I went to see that Abba voyage show today - absolutely sensational. Basically impossible to tell you are not watching abba live, truly mind blowing technology.

Anyway I was thinking, we should use this tech to basically project last seasons games live in the stadium so it looks like to us supporters in the stands like we are watching it live. Then the actual games we play with the current team are played behind closed doors.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:36 pm 

Chuffing freezing it was, making my ankle worse...but thank the maker for heated seats and steering wheels.

Anyone listen to the podcast "The Price of Football"? check out episode 251 where they discuss PW's decision with ticket numbers for Wycombe in the play offs last season - compare that to yesterday where it appears most of Suffolk were in the away end, and some in the home end too..!