THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:39 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: So many issues
PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:20 am 

Morsy is the best midfielder in the league imo. Class act, never gave the ball away, made excellent decisions with the ball every time. The sort of player we badly miss. So pissed off we stood off him to let him score today.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 4:00 am 

Having just watched the highlights, it confirmed my sense during the match. I’m astonished how poorly we defended yesterday. We hardly pressed at any time, were disorganised and meekly backed off in every third. No purpose or aggression to our defending.

Many have pointed to Tucker this season (it was Jules’s turn yesterday), but the above issue is where we’re falling down defensively. Don’t blame the back line if the front and middle lines are not doing their defensive jobs.

It was one area we did really well last season.

If this is the kind of performance that Jackson is praising then it’s very disappointing [Ed: I know he has to praise them - like a teacher has to praise primary school kids].

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 7:31 am 

Pseudonym wrote:
Having just watched the highlights, it confirmed my sense during the match. I’m astonished how poorly we defended yesterday. We hardly pressed at any time, were disorganised and meekly backed off in every third. No purpose or aggression to our defending.

Many have pointed to Tucker this season (it was Jules’s turn yesterday), but the above issue is where we’re falling down defensively. Don’t blame the back line if the front and middle lines are not doing their defensive jobs.

If this is the kind of performance that Jackson is praising then it’s very disappointing [Ed: I know he has to praise them - like a teacher has to praise primary school kids].

It can still be the back line's fault if they are defending too deep, which doesn't allow the midfield the starting position to press.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:52 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:

It can still be the back line's fault if they are defending too deep, which doesn't allow the midfield the starting position to press.

But we didn’t defend deep. We were spread pretty high but backtracked rather than press.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:10 am 

Pseudonym wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
Pseudonym wrote:

But we didn’t defend deep. We were spread pretty high but backtracked rather than press.

I won't argue the point, but as you say you can't press if others are backtracking.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:20 am 

Just of illustration that Ipswich won the midfield, the midfield heatmapis given below.

Attachment:
MK Dons v Ipswich midefield heat map.jpg
MK Dons v Ipswich midefield heat map.jpg [ 169 KiB | Viewed 118 times ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2023 9:40 am 

That's not heat. It's either mud or Pidgeon sh*t.