THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:55 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:49 pm 

Such is the air of negativity around the manager now that I’m not sure there’s a way back for him. Time to go, and if PW hasn’t been putting plans in place in the background then I think rebuilding the DNA of the club has to be priority even if we go down. To me that means Rubio is a possibility, Paul Mitchell, Dan Micciche - people who get it. And get Dean Lewington back in the club in some capacity. Going down with RN at the helm and the fans not on side cannot be an option.

Then reassess in the summer.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:50 pm 

Root cause analysis = no cash, too much credit?

Sad but the chain of events started when we got promoted and didn't have the acumen ( football and commercial in equal measures) to stay there.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 6:59 pm 

Really sad to say but I can’t see any positives so part company quickly, well before the season ticket renewal process starts and in time to get a new manager in before the next League game.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:01 pm 

IF Pete decides it’s time for another change, he needs to be sure of getting the right person and doing it promptly.

Fannying about for weeks on end isn’t an option

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:14 pm 
Scribble wrote:
IF Pete decides it’s time for another change, he needs to be sure of getting the right person and doing it promptly.

Which is why it will be better to appoint a caretaker until the end of the season, giving PW a few months to find someone suitable. Maybe he can call in a favour to Ince or RdM for a short term deal with Rubio helping out.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:30 pm 

Scribble wrote:

I just can't see this happening.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:41 pm 
HighamDon wrote:
Scribble wrote:

I just can't see this happening.

Problem is at this point in the season, who is really available to take a job like ours?

Neilson does need to go now, but I also agree I can't see Pete having a quick turnaround for the next permanent manager.

By the end of the season there will be a few more managerial casualties and candidates available.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:05 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Bloxham Don wrote:
Pay off RN and his staff and bring in a new manager with this squad and no funds to improve it or stick with RN and let him spend the funds we have (if any) on players that could get us out of this s**t position we find ourselves in

For me, both of those would be valid. But sadly, so far in January, we are adopting a third option which makes no sense: which is to keep Neilson but give him no funds to buy players and just get kids in on loan while other clubs around us strengthen with permanent signings. That option seems crazy and will almost certainly lead to relegation.
As regards the idea of putting an inexperienced and experienced manager together, that's not really how English football management works. You don't have almost an arranged marriage between manager and assistant chosen by the club; most managers have the same assistant for years, from job to job, because the relationship and trust between them is crucial. I don't think putting two strangers together will necessarily work, especially if both see themselves as a manager and not an assistant (Rubio would be manager in these scenarios, but these names being mentioned are more experienced managers in their own right and wouldn't perform the usual assistant role.
I think if we give Rubio the job, he has to choose his assistant, whether it be experienced or not, providing it's someone he's comfortable with. But if we did give it to Rubio, I think that would also lead to relegation so we'd have to accept he's a longer term appointment and not start getting on his back within 12 months. We need some stability, whoever we appoint.

Sadly fans won’t allow stability. If we appoint Rubio and he loses a few games in a row, fans will call for him to be sacked too

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:12 pm 

dons50 wrote:
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Bloxham Don wrote:
Pay off RN and his staff and bring in a new manager with this squad and no funds to improve it or stick with RN and let him spend the funds we have (if any) on players that could get us out of this s**t position we find ourselves in

For me, both of those would be valid. But sadly, so far in January, we are adopting a third option which makes no sense: which is to keep Neilson but give him no funds to buy players and just get kids in on loan while other clubs around us strengthen with permanent signings. That option seems crazy and will almost certainly lead to relegation.
As regards the idea of putting an inexperienced and experienced manager together, that's not really how English football management works. You don't have almost an arranged marriage between manager and assistant chosen by the club; most managers have the same assistant for years, from job to job, because the relationship and trust between them is crucial. I don't think putting two strangers together will necessarily work, especially if both see themselves as a manager and not an assistant (Rubio would be manager in these scenarios, but these names being mentioned are more experienced managers in their own right and wouldn't perform the usual assistant role.
I think if we give Rubio the job, he has to choose his assistant, whether it be experienced or not, providing it's someone he's comfortable with. But if we did give it to Rubio, I think that would also lead to relegation so we'd have to accept he's a longer term appointment and not start getting on his back within 12 months. We need some stability, whoever we appoint.

Sadly fans won’t allow stability. If we appoint Rubio and he loses a few games in a row, fans will call for him to be sacked too

Bet you're the kind of guy that thought deregulating the banking sector was a great idea.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:16 pm 

Kempstondons6 wrote:
For me I can’t see any reason to keep him, give him more money to waste and we will still go down so may as well spend it getting rid of him and at least try and turn it around.

Yes. It's not just a question of money; he simply doesn't have the technical ability to get tactics right. Two wins in 17 is it?? FFS End of.