THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:37 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:36 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
WellDon wrote:
Still remember what Liam Sweeting said, it’s a rocky start but that’s all it is, so nothing to worry about, we are staying up.

I love your reports WellDon, I always have. But c'mon you've been around the game long enough and know better than to take the words of anyone in football too seriously. Just imagine if he said 'it is a rocky start, we have no idea what will happen lets just hope for the best' - it would cause outrage. It is not dissimilar to the Winkelman comment about relegation a few years back. People who are interviewed who cannot predict the future have to say fairly generic positive and optimistic statements to make us happy. 99% of people in sport will say similar things and a lot of times they will be wrong.

I would say being interviewed is a very difficult environment, he admits it’s a rocky start and then goes onto say but that’s all it is, that’s a dangerous thing to say, when I have been involved with the media in the past I was always taught to keep it factual and never say anything that’s comes back and bites you in the arse. He didn’t have to say that, no more than your suggested we don’t know what’s going to happen next, his choice not mine.
Personally I don’t go with this don’t take it too seriously line, if we are reduced to taking it all with a pinch of salt, what’s the point of interviewing anyone.
Regarding previous comments, everyone knows, well the ones with a grip on reality, that everything said is an attempt to put bums on seats, trouble is those comments have worn so thin, it has harvested a deep mistrust amongst the fans, hardly a way to build or maintain a fanbase.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:14 pm 

Having watched Wacko on the OS I do feel sorry for him.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 10:30 pm 

WellDon wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
WellDon wrote:
Still remember what Liam Sweeting said, it’s a rocky start but that’s all it is, so nothing to worry about, we are staying up.

I love your reports WellDon, I always have. But c'mon you've been around the game long enough and know better than to take the words of anyone in football too seriously. Just imagine if he said 'it is a rocky start, we have no idea what will happen lets just hope for the best' - it would cause outrage. It is not dissimilar to the Winkelman comment about relegation a few years back. People who are interviewed who cannot predict the future have to say fairly generic positive and optimistic statements to make us happy. 99% of people in sport will say similar things and a lot of times they will be wrong.

I would say being interviewed is a very difficult environment, he admits it’s a rocky start and then goes onto say but that’s all it is, that’s a dangerous thing to say, when I have been involved with the media in the past I was always taught to keep it factual and never say anything that’s comes back and bites you in the arse. He didn’t have to say that, no more than your suggested we don’t know what’s going to happen next, his choice not mine.
Personally I don’t go with this don’t take it too seriously line, if we are reduced to taking it all with a pinch of salt, what’s the point of interviewing anyone.
Regarding previous comments, everyone knows, well the ones with a grip on reality, that everything said is an attempt to put bums on seats, trouble is those comments have worn so thin, it has harvested a deep mistrust amongst the fans, hardly a way to build or maintain a fanbase.

Genuinely, I don't know. Other than in depth interviews on formats such as The Athletic or even modern podcasts, there is very little point in pre or post match interviews. They all same the same stuff. Even managers who join clubs its almost the same two comments - praising the club for being historic and wanting to get them back to the top (every Villa, Leeds, Everton etc. manager) or the club is modern hungry and ambitious.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 11:45 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
and I can't recall such a dark time.

Really? This is better than when we last went down to L2. Yes, fine margins and all that but it's (just about) better.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 12:43 am 

keyser soze wrote:
Aliramone wrote:

Really? This is better than when we last went down to L2. Yes, fine margins and all that but it's (just about) better.

Not sure I agree. The football may have been worse last time we were relegated (if thats even possible?) - but I dont remember every aspect of the club / experience being this bad. Even though we were crap we still liked some of the players! This season and this squad definitely feels worse.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 1:37 am 

Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Aliramone wrote:

Not sure I agree. The football may have been worse last time we were relegated (if thats even possible?) - but I dont remember every aspect of the club / experience being this bad. Even though we were crap we still liked some of the players! This season and this squad definitely feels worse.

This. After this struggle of a season, it's still the off field stuff that gets to me the most. Everything has been done on a shoestring, and the borderline arrogance of Winkelman and co to think that the club can still be sucessful when things are done this way just beggars belief.

I still support MK Dons, I'll still be happy when we win and sad when we lose, but for me It's just not worth spending £40 a month on anymore, plus fuel to get there and back, food, and whatever else. If we get promoted we don't have the finances to even keep our better players, let alone strengthen the squad, it was the same when we got promoted to the Championship, our squad then was far worse than the one we got promoted with.

And no, I didn't expect to win today (yesterday), far from it, and I'm glad we gave it a go, we looked good in attack from what I heard, but I'm just fed up we can't seem to keep a squad together for more than a season or two.

Call me a fair weather fan all you like, but I was in my 7th year as a season ticket holder before I jacked it in a few months ago, and saw multiple promotions and relegations in that time. Some of the football in the Tisdale/Micciche/Neilson eras was even worse than we are now, but overall, I can't remember the club being at a lower point than this. I started supporting the dons around the time Karl Robinson started managing us, and honestly, I struggle to think of one thing that has improved since then.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2023 7:06 pm 

Locutus wrote:
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Aliramone wrote:

This. After this struggle of a season, it's still the off field stuff that gets to me the most. Everything has been done on a shoestring, and the borderline arrogance of Winkelman and co to think that the club can still be sucessful when things are done this way just beggars belief.

I still support MK Dons, I'll still be happy when we win and sad when we lose, but for me It's just not worth spending £40 a month on anymore, plus fuel to get there and back, food, and whatever else. If we get promoted we don't have the finances to even keep our better players, let alone strengthen the squad, it was the same when we got promoted to the Championship, our squad then was far worse than the one we got promoted with.

And no, I didn't expect to win today (yesterday), far from it, and I'm glad we gave it a go, we looked good in attack from what I heard, but I'm just fed up we can't seem to keep a squad together for more than a season or two.

Call me a fair weather fan all you like, but I was in my 7th year as a season ticket holder before I jacked it in a few months ago, and saw multiple promotions and relegations in that time. Some of the football in the Tisdale/Micciche/Neilson eras was even worse than we are now, but overall, I can't remember the club being at a lower point than this. I started supporting the dons around the time Karl Robinson started managing us, and honestly, I struggle to think of one thing that has improved since then.

You sir, have 'nailed it' much more aticul, atrricul, artittitled....better.... than I could. It's the 'WHOLE THING'.
Now I was around as a STH for the last 'drop' but I don't, genuinely, recall the sense of despondency/apathy that exists now. I really don't. I don't look forward to home games anymore and the mood where I sit (Cowshed) has moved way way beyond 'black humour'. I never boo but many do. Let's not open up that debate again but it doesn't do anything for my matchday experience - or the players. Some (crazed) individuals now seem to attend on the basis that it is an opportunity to shout obscenities all game at their own team! It's their right.....but WTF?
I shan't be going next Saturday.
Rantette over.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:27 am 

Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Aliramone wrote:

The difference for me is we've tried to hire people who 'get it'. It may not be working and the outcome is the same. But there is an intention. Neilson didn't. He culled the squad in the summer of 2017 and it killed us. Results may be similar but he obliterated the heart of this team either due to complete incompetence or arrogance. Either way he was fucking shit and it is the lowest I've ever felt. The current squad is shit but I get the idea. Jacko isn't getting the results but he shows heart and seems to get it. For that, we are nowhere near as low as we were in 2018.

Also, we didn't have Lewingtons then. So those moaning about experience it was just as shit then. We didn't have a nice thing taken away from us, we just didn't have the nice thing in the first place.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 8:56 am 

cornerdon26 wrote:
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Aliramone wrote:

The difference for me is we've tried to hire people who 'get it'. It may not be working and the outcome is the same. But there is an intention. Neilson didn't. He culled the squad in the summer of 2017 and it killed us. Results may be similar but he obliterated the heart of this team either due to complete incompetence or arrogance. Either way he was fucking shit and it is the lowest I've ever felt. The current squad is shit but I get the idea. Jacko isn't getting the results but he shows heart and seems to get it. For that, we are nowhere near as low as we were in 2018.

Also, we didn't have Lewingtons then. So those moaning about experience it was just as shit then. We didn't have a nice thing taken away from us, we just didn't have the nice thing in the first place.

Neilson’s intention was to make us a more physical team a la Preston, to compete in the championship. His errors were not taking the fan base or the players (Lewie) with him and not picking good enough players. Other than those he was very very good. ;)

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2023 9:10 am 

Pseudonym wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
Aliramone wrote:

Neilson’s intention was to make us a more physical team a la Preston, to compete in the championship. His errors were not taking the fan base or the players (Lewie) with him and not picking good enough players. Other than those he was very very good. ;)

He was also terrible at making us physical, we got bullied a lot.