THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:47 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:29 pm 

THE MELTDOWN – SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY
It’s early doors (Sat) here at Chateau WellDon as I contemplate the day ahead and what it will bring and regret a night of pirate training as I’ve been up two or three times with chronic indigestion, a side effect of too much Yo-Ho-Ho I think, and realising a pirate of my age can’t handle it anymore.

Adding to the pitch debate, we could well have damaged our future relationship with those on high that decide on the venues for such games as the Lionesses fixtures. I never went but tuned in to watch our girls put on a terrific display once again as they attempt to conquer the world stage and become World and European Champions.

It was nice to see the stadium so packed, but our embarrassment was laid bare in more ways than one, as we witnessed close up the appalling state of the pitch.

Now I’m no expert on these matters, but my understanding of it is, the pitch was laid in double quick time to accommodate the Women’s Euro’s and was paid for or not by UEFA, I don’t know which it is, so if anyone knows, please enlighten us.

With such a short time frame between the concerts and the tournament a pitch was basically placed on top of what was left of the treated pitch after it had the old turf removed, and for reasons of frost and not enough sun the rooting of the new surface has failed resulting in what we are left with.

Some have speculated it was “done on the cheap” and was doomed to failure as the high tech base of the pitch was well past its life expectancy anyway, I can’t speculate, I’m just giving you what I understand to be correct, so if anyone knows better, please tell us, and please let’s not blame the ground staff, they are probably doing the best they can in difficult circumstances.

With the England Head Coach Saina Wiegman coming out after the game and criticizing the pitch it is doubtful we will be trusted to host any future games. Without doubt a sad state of affairs and a possible revenue stream cut short and just something else to add to the list of failures this season.

So, to the matters in hand then, and our game versus Sheffield Wednesday at Hillsborough. Massive respect to the travelling fans today, there can’t be many going up there that think we can get anything out of this game, especially on the back of the St Valentines Day Massacre at the UNIBOL on Tuesday night.

Whilst Bolton have only just flexed their promotion chasing wings with back to back 5-0 victories, Wednesday have been on it for some time only losing three games in the league all season, and just one of those at home to Barnsley and they look destined to be in one of the two automatic berths when the curtain comes down.

Honestly I will be amazed if we get anything out of this, we are down on our luck, our confidence must be shot to pieces, and if the Owls score early the floodgates could again burst wide open, I genuinely fear for us.

Before the teams are announced, I would just like to comment how amazed I am that we haven’t delved into the “Free Transfer” market, it seems a hell of a gamble, an injury to Tucker or Jules and we really are up a creek without a paddle, and what if we lose both…. I wish I hadn’t have said that now, I’ve just scared myself…. right here we go team news.

So, in midweek we learnt that Stewart is going to be out longer than expected and I’m starting to get the thought we might never see him pull on a Dons shirt, also Devoy has been ill most of the week and is a doubt, but I’ve just seen he is in the squad and Jacko has put him on the bench for a straight swap with Johnson, probably not confident of his fitness, probably see him in the final 30 minutes, also in comes Watson to replace Lawrence, Max Dean doesn’t make the matchday squad.

Well, that was a shock, Leko picks it up on the halfway line, the defence backs off and he smashes it in the top corner, that’s bound to annoy them now, great goal and a contender for Goal of the Season.

Normal service is resumed shortly after, a hopeful ball over the top deceives Tucker…. Surprisingly (Cough)…..Windass steadies himself and guides it over the advancing Cumming and it goes in off the bottom of the crossbar.

WTF is going on…..11 blokes have stolen our shirts and are giving Wednesday a lesson in counter attacks; a ball isn’t dealt with by the Wednesday defence and Mo shrugs off two tackles and finds the back of the net…. only last week I said we weren’t strong enough on the ball, Mrs WellDon is heating up the humble pie, this is going to get stuck in my throat.

Talk about backs to the wall, Bannan is pulling the strings but we are defending well, but it’s a scary watch….so far.

What…7 minutes injury time, I know we celebrated the goals like we had won the World Cup, but 7 minutes seems a bit extreme.

With about a minute to go Kaikai spurns a golden opportunity, just inside the box and can’t find the target…..and breathe, its half time.

I haven’t a clue what’s going on, its nearly all Wednesday but somehow we are keeping them out and hit two great goals on the break, just another 45 minutes plus to see this one out. But I have to say I’m pleased in the manner we have approached this game; it makes a refreshing change…come on lads.

Second half and its more of the same, and it’s pretty obvious we have started the time wasting as McEachran takes and age to take a freekick.
5 minutes in and it’s a corner to Wednesday, it falls to Michael Smith who somehow kicks it over with the goal gaping.

Wednesday fans are getting irate as Harvie goes down as they attempt to take a quick throw, more boos as Harvie walks off, but from the resulting throw it hits Watson on the hand…. penalty, Cumming goes the right way, but Smith atones for the earlier miss, another penalty against us, but this was nailed on…No arguments….2-2.

On comes Lee Gregory, now he likes a goal against us, and Devoy comes on for skipper of the day McEachran, and not for the first time, worrying that McEachran has such a small tank.

Called it…. Dons fail to clear, and Lee Gregory has the easiest of jobs to tap home with the net unguarded, a foul on Tucker in the build-up but the ref waves it away, it’s been a spirited display, but you fear that could be it, and into the bottom 4 we go with Cambridge Utd, Burton Albion and Accy Stan all winning.

Its all gone horribly wrong, 4-2, a nothing ball should have been dealt with, Michael Smith swings at it on the edge of the box, it gets a big deflection and loops over Cumming and bounces into the net.

In the final minutes on comes Matt Smith and Henry Lawrence but this game is over bar the shouting as the Dons are showing nothing going forward, damage limitation ?

And its 5, twice in a week, when was the last time that happened, Byers rises at the back post and unchallenged nods it past the despairing dive of Cumming.

And that’s all she wrote ….5-2, Wednesday top of the league as Plymouth fail to find a goal against Fleetwood at Home Park.

Well we gave it a go, we attacked well and played with a bit of pride but eventually class told, and really, if we go down it will be because of our weakness in defence which makes it even more mystifying why Jacko has not looked for a centre half on a Free Transfer.

We now sit in 21st with teams above and below having games in hand, and not only that our GD has taken an 8 goal hammering in the last two games.
Next up we have Ipswich Town at SMK, so nothing to get concerned about as they just scraped past Forest Green 4-0.

Still remember what Liam Sweeting said, it’s a rocky start but that’s all it is, so nothing to worry about, we are staying up.

By the way as you might have missed it but Agent Dan Kemp scored a brace against AFC today. The frauds were 2-0 up but Kemp set things right including a 96th minute equaliser.

That’s about it I think, nothing more to say really, make sure you checkout the BIG MATCH PREVIEW on Thursday.

Have a good weekend.

8-) WD

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:49 pm 

Wasn't there today but picked up on here that Tucker had another stinker. Getting relegated to League 2 twice in consecutive seasons is no coincidence. Also suprised we haven't looked at the free agent market, as Wycombe have done with Willis for example. But also why not recall Jack Davies? Surely we can't be too far from just giving him a go and dropping Tucker all together? As someone said on the match thread - Tucker is going to get us relegated unless we drop him.

Thanks for the write-up WD.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:53 pm 

Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
Wasn't there today but picked up on here that Tucker had another stinker. Getting relegated to League 2 twice in consecutive seasons is no coincidence. Also suprised we haven't looked at the free agent market, as Wycombe have done with Willis for example. But also why not recall Jack Davies? Surely we can't be too far from just giving him a go and dropping Tucker all together? As someone said on the match thread - Tucker is going to get us relegated unless we drop him.

Thanks for the write-up WD.

At this point I want to see Watson in CB and Lawrence at RB. It’s got to be worth a shot.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:04 pm 

Heard in Jackos pre match video that Tucker was ranked in the top 10 of CBs in league 1, id rank him top ten in the North Bucks league 2.

He needs taking out of the side for his sake as well as the teams, his decision making today at times was appalling, the first goal he mis read the flight of the ball and sailed over him, I didn’t bother counting all his errors as I was mostly watching through closed fingers.

Another pasting next week and I think we’ll be done for this division, I honestly can’t see us winning more than four more games this season

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:42 pm 

Quote:
it seems a hell of a gamble, an injury to Tucker

I don't wish anything nasty on anyone, but a mild sprain....needs a few games rest? Well one can dream......

I have to say I don't really care anymore. I'm mildly annoyed obvs, but I'm not in one of the dark moods that can get me for an hour or so after a loss. 4 goals in half an hour? Whatever. It's the MK Way donchaknow.

I don't think I can be bothered to join any debate about attempting to explain WHY we are in this situation - and I don't just mean League position. There's been so many bad decisions (i.e. f- ups) I've lost count. It might be an interesting academic exercise to try but I'm not going to bother.

Or indeed attend any games in the foreseeable future.

Fairweather fan? Nads. I've been a STH since 2005 and I can't recall such a dark time.

If I/Myself/Daft Ali who tries to make light of anything is like this when he hasn't even got stuck into the sauce then dudes ya'd better pay attention. ;) :roll: :ugeek:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:44 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
Quote:

I don't wish anything nasty on anyone, but a mild sprain....needs a few games rest? Well one can dream......

I have to say I don't really care anymore. I'm mildly annoyed obvs, but I'm not in one of the dark moods that can get me for an hour or so after a loss. 4 goals in half an hour? Whatever. It's the MK Way donchaknow.

I don't think I can be bothered to join any debate about attempting to explain WHY we are in this situation - and I don't just mean League position. There's been so many bad decisions (i.e. f- ups) I've lost count. It might be an interesting academic exercise to try but I'm not going to bother.

Fairweather fan? Nads. I've been a STH since 2005 and I can't recall such a dark time.

If I/Myself/Daft Ali who tries to make light of anything is like this when he hasn't even got stuck into the sauce then dudes ya'd better pay attention. ;) :roll: :ugeek:

Well at least you haven’t reported me.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 6:54 pm 

WellDon wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
Quote:

Well at least you haven’t reported me.

I'm not even in a jolly, 'hey I'll mildly attempt to wind up WD' mood mon ami. I just don't care. It seemed like a fair set of comments ya made.
Well sort of...
....ish.
Although now I come to read it again.... ;)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 7:33 pm 

Tucker played better than Jules.

We were in the game against a very good team for a fair chunk of the game.

It was an excellent game. I wouldn’t be too despondent about today.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:02 pm 

WellDon wrote:
Still remember what Liam Sweeting said, it’s a rocky start but that’s all it is, so nothing to worry about, we are staying up.

I love your reports WellDon, I always have. But c'mon you've been around the game long enough and know better than to take the words of anyone in football too seriously. Just imagine if he said 'it is a rocky start, we have no idea what will happen lets just hope for the best' - it would cause outrage. It is not dissimilar to the Winkelman comment about relegation a few years back. People who are interviewed who cannot predict the future have to say fairly generic positive and optimistic statements to make us happy. 99% of people in sport will say similar things and a lot of times they will be wrong.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2023 8:33 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Tucker played better than Jules.

We were in the game against a very good team for a fair chunk of the game.

It was an excellent game. I wouldn’t be too despondent about today.

Agreed - slightly unfortunate pen, blatant push of Tucker who was looking like he would head clear before the third and a deflected fourth. Could have been very different and I'm surprised Jacko didn't see it that way.