THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 3:12 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:06 pm 

“THE 12 DAYS FOR SWEETING “
Updated daily…..
Welcome to 2023 then which is either going to be a one way ticket to League 2, or a tale of the Great Escape. I’ve decided to start writing this the day after the Plymouth defeat so I can document accurately what I have dubbed “The 12 Days for Sweeting”, not that it’s all on him of course, there are other factors like the approval of Jacko on any incomings or outgoings, and of course if Pete decides to back any of what we hope will be plenty of transactions.

I know It’s not all about the 12 days leading up to the Lincoln City game, but we need to get moving fairly quickly, yes we have another 18 or so days after that to get people in, but each day lost is an extra day these guys need to gel….and yes, I bloody hate that saying.

So then, only a few hours into the new year and we hear that Daniel Oyegoke has gone back to Brentford, with us terminating his loan.

He was in, he was out, as Manning tried to shake the team about, we tried Oyegoke, but he failed to turn a game around, now he’s gone, and that’s what it’s all about…..all together now……well maybe not.

He came to us apparently highly rated and again apparently we fought off several other teams for him, I can only imagine Kempston Rovers 2nd X1 were gutted at the time. He could possibly work elsewhere, so whether we failed to get the best out of him for whatever reason will never be known, but I wish him luck wherever his career takes him.

Day 1 and picking up news that Plymouth are already strengthening for the final push to the Championship by signing on two more players. You can’t help but compare us to Plymouth as I have suggested before, so to see this compounds my feelings of that could have been us if we had not been so keen to cash in.

Day 2 and I wake up to the news that the Cowley brothers have been dumped by Portsmouth……Liam Manning Mr Cullen?

Early evening and I decide to watch Lincoln v Ipswich on IFollow to get a heads up on out next opponents. I’m not liking the looks of this as despite being down to 10 men, Lincoln have just taken the lead and only a late goal saves Ipswich. Lincoln are a battling physical side and defend like tigers, all of a sudden I’m starting to feel a bit nervous of our impending game.

Day 3, Forest Green have signed on loan defender Brandon Cooper from Swansea, but the contract with top scorer and former Don Connor Wickham is up and he leaves the club and presumably becomes a free agent again, he has scored 9 of the 21 goals this season for FGR.

Its two steps forward and one back for Argyle as top scorer Morgan Whitaker is recalled to Swansea despite his season long deal, Whitaker scored 1 and provided 2 assists in our New Year’s Day defeat at Home Park.

12/1 long shot Liam Manning has now shortened to 5/2 for the job at Pompey.

Day 4, trusted journo Peter O’Rourke is reporting that Grant McCann is on his way out at Posh, 30 minutes later Posh let the news out that McCann has gone, and Darren Fergusson is back at the helm for his 4th stint.

Day 5, still no new players to report on but we have an addition to the coaching team as Paul McGrath becomes our new performance coach. Two more signings for FGR, Jack Doyle-Hayes from Hibernian, and Jordon Garrick called back from a loan spell at Lincoln by parent club Swansea and sold to our fellow strugglers. Accrington secure Aaron Presley on loan from Brentford but suffer a blow with defender Mitch Clark being out for two months, he has played all 31 games for Stanley this season. Any hopes of Max Watters returning are squashed with news he has signed on loan to Barnsley. Another former Don Theo Corbeanu is rumoured to be in talks with Ipswich Town.

Day 6, Plymouth move quickly and already have a replacement in for Whittaker signing Callum Wright from Blackpool for an undisclosed fee. Morecambe have signed on loan defender Dynel Simeu from Southampton after his loan spell was cut short at Tranmere Rovers to allow the move. Few teams haven’t jumped yet, and Bolton join in signing winger Randell Williams for an undisclosed fee from Hull City. Worryingly I have just spotted a quote attributed to PW, “He's willing to chip in for an inexpensive player or two (if really needed)”, that doesn’t sound good. Cambridge Utd sign on free agent Ryan Bennett until the end of the season, the defender was formerly at Swansea and Wolves. Fleetwood sign keeper David Harrington from Cork City for an undisclosed fee.

Brooklyn Ilunga finishes his loan spell at Hemel Hempstead playing 16 games and is quickly shipped out to National League side Wealdstone to continue his development, “The Stones” are currently 10th, just 1 point outside the playoffs.

Exeter City are the latest club to get involved in the window signing midfielder Joe White on loan from Newcastle Utd. Ipswich Town have signed Massimo Luongo after Middlesborough cancelled his contract by mutual consent. Forest Green are at it again this time signing Jamie Robson from Lincoln City on a permanent deal. The Imps have also been doing business with Harry Boyes loaned from Sheffield United. Oxford join in the hunt for players securing defender Brandon Fleming on loan from Hull City. Peterborough have taken Burnley keeper Will Norris on loan and also extended the loan of Kell Watts from Newcastle Utd.

Big News from SMK…. the club won’t be opening on non-matchday Saturdays with immediate effect, that will send shockwaves around League 1.

UPDATE
It’s Friday night 5pm and I pause briefly in memory of the Don Deal we used to know and love, the moment passes, bugger all has happened on we go. It’s been a busy day with League 1 clubs still busy putting pen to paper or whatever they do these days. Burton Albion join the transfer party signing on Sheffield Utd keeper, the wonderfully named Jordan Amissah. The German born keeper is on loan for the rest of the season.

Cambridge Utd do their second deal of the day taking full back Steve Seddon on loan from Oxford Utd.

Portsmouth try and sneak a deal past me but I’m on it as they sign defender Ryley Towler on a permanent deal for an undisclosed fee from Bristol City, Towler spent the first half of the season at AFC.

I think that must be business done for the day, see you tomorrow.

Update - 10-15am Saturday
Day 7, It’s matchday for some so I’m expecting it to be a bit quieter after the mad rush of yesterday. This one slipped through the net after I shut down the PC last night, but Plymouth have signed another securing the services of Jay Matete from Sunderland on loan, that’s the 4th incoming at Plymouth, and in case you are not keeping a running count 9 teams in League 1 are yet to sign someone.

With about a week gone I’m starting to get really concerned, yes I know Jacko still has a good deal of time, but every day means our team development is delayed further. Obviously he is saying some positive things about the current crop, but I guess he has to, I just hope that faith is not misplaced. I am somewhat surprised that Kayode and Kemp haven’t been dumped yet but he is probably using this first 12 days to get a full picture assessment of what’s needed.

Looking further afield, I’m beginning to think of potential scenarios if we do actually get relegated, it hardly bares thinking about, but I think the backlash from fans will be on a level this club has never seen before.

Updated 5-25pm Saturday
Saturday afternoon and FA Cup action, I’ve just watched Gillingham v Leicester with former Don Shaun Williams rolling back the years, he can still do a job.

Jack Davies is back from a loan spell at Concord Rangers and goes back to Oxford City where he played 19 games last season. With little going on I’ve tuned into Morecambe v Cheltenham, not much of a game, but noticeable how a couple of wins has boosted their attendance, not many in the away end though, with hardly 100 making the trip from the Cotswolds.

Morecambe win, that’s their third on the trot and they ease out of the bottom four.

A couple of rumours regarding Ipswich Town doing some huge business, one of which is for a seven figure fee for Everton striker Nathan Broadhead, the other Leicester striker George Hirst who reportedly watched on today from the Directors Box as Ipswich demolished Rotherham 4- 1 in the FA Cup.

Updated 10-20am Sunday
Day 8, Sunday, my Ipswich Town connections tell me the Hirst deal is done, they also tell me that they have agreed terms with Everton over the signing of Broadhead, but there are complications, so this one is not over the line yet. There are also a few rumours that Ipswich are keen to sign Morgan Whitaker from Swansea, you will remember he was only just recalled from Plymouth earlier in the week.

No transfer news coming out of SMK, just the worrying news that Jamie Cumming has been back at the Chelsea Training Ground training with the first team, he’s done it before, but you would expect that there have been some conversations on his future and what’s next for the young shot stopper.

It's probably going to be a slow news day today, but I will be scanning the internet anyway, no doubt Monday will kick start business.

Updated 12-30pm Monday
Day 9 (Monday), midday and its slow going in the Transfer Window after the crazy rush last week by some that came to a grinding halt at the weekend. Still not much to report though, but at least the BBC have caught up with TCR and my Ipswich source and reported that the Hirst deal is now done, but it’s a loan and not a permanent deal.

Anyway MK news, ok don’t get excited, its being reported that Dan Kemp is on his way out to Colchester. The U’s Head of Recruitment Ross Embleton had already signed him before when he was the Orient gaffer, so this one looks highly probable. Kemp hasn’t had the best time at SMK playing just 16 times since signing in the last January transfer Window and there have been one or two rumours of fallouts with Manning and the coaching staff. It comes as no shock and it looks like the appointment of Jacko hasn’t changed things, with Kemp’s exit probably decided a long time before the new coach arrived.

Exeter City have bolstered their back room team with three appointments which further highlights the fact that nearly three weeks in and we still haven’t employed an assistant.

Posh gaffer Darren Fergusson says he feels refreshed and recharged after agreeing to comeback for his 4th stint, Grant McCann says he is looking forward to coming back at the end of May, he didn’t really, but you wouldn’t be shocked would you.

Updated 5-50pm Monday
Not transfer news but just seen Craig Mackail-Smith has retired after 22 years in the game, he had 3 promotions at Posh and played for a while at Wycombe, and on several occasions scored against us, in total he played 674 games scoring 196 goals. Another retirement announced is Gareth Bale, but as far as I know he never was an irritant to the Dons.

Yeah…. transfer news, Cheltenham Town have signed forward Will Goodwin on a two and a half year deal for an undisclosed fee from Stoke City. He never made his 1st X1 debut for Stoke but he was loaned out to Torquay in the first half of the season scoring 7 goals in 26 games. That deal reduces the tally down to 8 clubs that have still not signed anyone on.

Toby Lock is reporting that Jacko is casting doubt on any new recruits before the Lincoln City game, make of that what you will.

Updated at 8-15pm Monday

Nobody can accuse of Plymouth letting the grass grow under their feet as they do everything in their power to strengthen the playing squad. Tyreik Wright a winger on a season long loan at Bradford City from Aston Villa was recalled yesterday and signs for Argyle today for an undisclosed fee, that’s the 5th new player added to their squad in 9 days. Argyle have also recalled with immediate effect 23 year old left back Ryan Law from his season long loan at Gillingham where he has played 24 games, it is as yet unclear if he will go back out again on loan or remain with Argyle until the end of the season.

Updated 9-45am Tuesday

Day 10, Tuesday, as I reported last week striker Nathan Broadhead was a live one, with just a few complications on the terms, and its being reported this morning that he joins Ipswich Town from Everton for an undisclosed fee on a three and a half year deal. Thats the third signing so far for the Tractor Boys, and you have to say they look like they have done the best business so far with Massimo Luongo and George Hirst already signed, and don’t forget there are one or two rumours that Morgan Whittaker is also a target for Town.

Updated 12-30pm Tuesday
Morecambe have signed 25 year old midfielder Daniel Crowley from Dutch side Willem II on a short term deal until the end of the season. Crowley was an Aston Villa graduate that moved to Arsenal aged just 15 and then went on to play for Barnsley, Cheltenham, Birmingham City, and Oxford United.

Updated 6-00pm Tuesday
Not transfer news, but a nice touch from Bristol Rovers staff and players who will all shave their heads in support of defender Nick Anderton who was diagnosed with bone cancer in July.

Bottom of the table Forest Green have secured their 4th signing of the window by signing for undisclosed fee goalkeeper Ross Doohan from Tranmere Rovers. The Celtic graduate has played 25 games this season keeping 11 clean sheets.

Updated Wednesday 7-15am

Have I missed something, on Day 5 of the Transfer Window being open the club announced we have signed Paul McGrath to join the back room team as a performance coach, then almost a week later they announce it again…. strange.

By the way many thanks for the comments regarding this thread, they are much appreciated, and also thanks to East Wing Don who points out that we are now down to 7 clubs that so far have not got involved in transfers or loans, I wonder who will be the last to jump.

Updated 6-45pm Wednesday
On the slowest of slow news days I’ve had to resort to following a lead from Football Insider that is reporting that former QPR striker Macauley Bonne is having a medical ahead of a return to Charlton Athletic after having his contract terminated a few days ago. The same article also reveals or should I say suggests that Charlton are heading the race to sign Blackburn Rovers defender Tayo Edun, Rotherham midfielder Shane Ferguson, and Watford centre half Mattie Pollock, make of that lot what you will.

Updated 11-00pm Wednesday

Thats the office closed for the night, with not one confirmed signing all day, a few rumours but that’s about it. We can only hope things warm up getting towards the weekend.

Updated Thursday 10-40am
With nothing happening on the transfer market we turn our attention to the speculation over the new Pompey gaffer, and CEO Andy Cullen (remember him) saying they are getting close to getting their man.

The Pompey local press seem convinced that former Dons Head Coach Liam Manning is the man at the top of the list and some bookmakers have closed the book which generally means they have had a considerable amount punted on one candidate, and they aren’t willing to overstretch themselves on the liability, will it be Manning, I hope so, and it will be interesting to see what he can do with a club that backs him.

Updated 12-20pm Thursday
Finally, a bit of transfer news as Oxford United have signed 18 year old defender Teddy Mfuni from Warrington Town who play in the Northern Premier league. Mfuni came through the Preston North End Academy and impressed Robbo during a trial before Christmas. He joins the U’s on an 18 month contract.

Updated 12-45pm Thursday
Some news on one the transfers in this window, and it just shows how fate can deal you a bad hand. Defender Steve Seddon signed for Cambridge Utd on Day 6 of the window and was badly injured in his first game against Bristol Rovers fracturing a cheekbone and an eye socket. He had to have a six and a half hour operation and is not expected to be back training until March.

Some good news…..the deadline to recall Henry Lawrence and Jamie Cumming back to Chelsea has expired, they are here for the duration.

Updated 5-15pm Thursday
Well, what about that…. Football Insider came up trumps, I reported yesterday that former QPR striker Macauley Bonne was having a medical and he has now signed for Charlton until the end of the season. His contract at QPR was terminated by mutual consent after playing just 9 games this season. Bonne had played for Charlton before having signed for £200k, and then moved to QPR for a rumoured £2m. The move leaves just 6 clubs in League 1 that haven’t yet signed anyone.

Forest Green make it 6 signings in 12 days securing Amadou Bakayoko from Bolton for an undisclosed fee. The Sierra Leone International was part of the Coventry team that won the League 1 title in 2020, then joined Bolton where he scored 16 goals in 57 games. To me this looks to be a decent bit of business and way above some of the middle of the road signings made by others.

Updated 6-00pm Thursday
Like busses now, Burton Albion have been back at the negotiating table signing for an undisclosed fee midfielder Mark Helm from Burnley.

The 21 year old graduated from the Manchester Utd Academy, and moved to Burnley where he failed to make a first team appearance, but Burton gaffer Dino Maamria has been apparently impressed with his performances for the Clarets U 23’s.

Updated 6-10pm Thursday
I can’t keep up now after two days of inactivity as Charlton pounce again signing former Chelsea graduate Todd Kane on loan from Coventry City until the end of the season. The 29 year old has tons of Championship experience having played 186 games at that level.

Updated 12-55pm Friday
As that fabulous pop combo The Cure once sung “Friday I’m in Love”, well I can’t say I am actually, well with the Transfer Window that is, Mrs WellDon is another matter, but nothing….absolutely nothing is happening, not a sausage and today is the day this well viewed thread is due to end .Friday’s used to be so good in the Window, who will ever forget those heady times of a 5pm Friday Don Deal, ah good memories.

The only snippet I have is Forest Green CEO Henry Staelens has stood down after 5 years at the club and on his appointment he was the youngest CEO in the EFL aged just 30. Owner Dale Vince has said it’s a “blow” losing Staelens, but he is also probably relieved with the money he has spent in the last 2 weeks.

Last edited by WellDon on Fri Jan 13, 2023 1:32 pm, edited 28 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:30 pm 

Great round up thank you

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:35 pm 

Is it supposed to rhyme with 'the 12 daze of Christmas'? :? e.g. On the fifth day of Sweeting.... Liam gave to me, no s*dding players on a free.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:17 pm 

Updated Friday 10-15pm

PostPosted: Fri Jan 06, 2023 10:18 pm 

I always enjoy your write ups, they're always on point. Consequently, they make for depressing reading more often than not! :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 7:50 am 

I have it on good authority that he has a partridge in a pear tree and a couple of turtledoves incoming.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:09 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
I have it on good authority that he has a partridge in a pear tree and a couple of turtledoves incoming.

Well we don't often see Eisa 'a leaping' do we?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:25 am 

Updated 10-15am Saturday

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 10:42 am 

Only you could make the point so succinctly. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2023 5:30 pm 

Updated 5-25pm Saturday