THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:49 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:46 am 

APL PREDICTION LEAGUE RESULTS & REVIEW KFC KINGSTON
Don’t worry, there are four teams worse than us in League 1..................has anyone used that line yet, it can’t be long can it, someone is going to use it sooner or later, I hope we’re not disappointed, it just wouldn’t feel right without it, I mean we’ve done all the other football clichés whilst playing our annual game of Winkie bingo.

Well the three-year plan is ticking along nicely as the Neilson led Dons strive to achieve new lows in this landmark season, and its rumoured, allegedly, Winkie is already producing his next video, entitled “National League....No Way”.

Outwardly the club looks like everything is going along nicely, in honesty you wouldn’t expect anything other than positive noises, it doesn’t make good press, but underneath the surface I doubt that very much is the scenario, some of the leading characters must be feeling the stressful nature of all this, and I would hope unlike our swift exit from the Championship, someone is doing the maths, to see how much relegation into League 2 would cost us, because despite what anyone has said on here and elsewhere, we are very much in a relegation scrap, of course you could still be in denial, so in that case things are great....I’m loving the football, and if we beat Northampton on Saturday you can come running out waving your little flag, calling out the Robbie haters.....................and for the record, I do not hate Neilson, I actually feel sorry for him after giving up so much in Scotland to come here, it must have been tough.........Pete said so.

I have seen every game this season, and I honestly have not witnessed much at all that makes me think, yes there is a shining light of optimism, a partnership developing on the pitch that will become fruitful, or anything really that can be interpreted as an improvement as the season has progressed, thinking about it, I think we’ve got worse.

Last week we beat QPR, a lot of people said to me, we played well, I personally didn’t think we had, we just took our chance against a poor team, rode our luck a bit, and I just wonder had we lost that game, would peoples views have been the same, a win always makes things feel better, my interpretation would be, we didn’t play as bad as some of the games this season, but that was about it in a game pretty much devoid of quality by either team.

Looking at the team, its looking as thin as an Aldi tissue, not one defender on the bench, no midweek reports of any serious issues, Downing is sold to Blackburn, and then we learn that Walsh and Golbourne are out long term, both requiring surgery, and do we even know if Golbourne was secured to the end of the season, although that matters little if he is going under the surgeon’s knife next week.

Well not to worry, Lewington has been away “proving his fitness to Robbie “, and will doubtless be returning fresh from Charlton, to help his boyhood club of 700 games standing, well you would think so wouldn’t you, well if that Winkie video was true that would be the case wouldn’t it.... of course, it would, how can anyone believe anything else, ok so run this one past me again, we need defenders urgently, and Lewington is not even on the bench, never mind the club ......why ever could that be, and he can train at MK if he wants, even though he is allegedly banned from the training ground, this is all too complicated for me.

To me this whole season seems like one big mess, Neilson’s target was automatic promotion, but from before the season started things didn’t go to plan, the European tour saw some left at home after something happened, Tilney apparently falling out of love with football, but continues to play or be involved at Brackley, club hero Lewington frozen out which was strangely not widely reported in the local press, Williams demoted from stand in skipper, being replaced by Gilbey, and that’s just the tip of the iceberg.

It now appears that a two to three-year plan is the new black, and I just wonder if Neilson is still here in a week, a month, a year, how many casualties we are going to suffer on the terraces, with increasing numbers questioning the cost of watching Dons football. I know this club has fallen through trap doors before, and come bouncing back, but it is easier to look back at history and say, well look how it panned out then it will pan out like that again, yes that’s true, but can anyone say with absolute confidence, it can again, I’ve seen many false dawns on here in the last three years.

For anyone still clinging to some sort of wild hope, you can always tell them about Barnsley being bottom of the league at Christmas, it’s an old favourite I know, but it does wonders for morale, and gives people something to cling to, there’s nothing like a bit of false hope, or a feel good story to lift people at a time of crisis, perhaps we could float a story about one of our players saving a drowning puppy or something, that will get bums on seats, but of course it’s not a crisis, how could you ever think it........................now I’m sure some of you feel this is all a bit tedious, but surely, it must piss you off knowing you’ve been wrong for the last three years.

Of course, we could beat Northampton, and pull ourselves out of this predicament for a brief spell, you could tell me I told you so.................and we can all think footballs a funny old game, I could hold my hand up and say I called it wrong, but I suppose I could claim I’m still ahead of the game when it comes to telling you how it is, for those with a good memory, I’m still a bottle of gold watch ahead of this.

Then just when you think you’ve seen it all, a team of nine men beat a high flying team, so granted, anything’s possible, and on that note, at the start of the season WellDon Senior placed a tasty bet on the Dons to get relegated at 14/1, I laughed so hard I nearly passed out, I’m not laughing at him anymore, and for those that like to keep an eye on things on the betting front, SkyBet are currently offering odds of 7/4 for the mighty MK to get relegated.

I did think today I was going to write about Ugbo and the links between Chelsea and AFC, or is it just me that thinks it’s just a little bit funny that none of this came out before the game, no mention on the OS, no mention in the Robbie pre-match interview, and Toby Lock, always well informed at the Citizen, posting mysterious tweets pre-match, Luke Ashmead on 3CR equally surprised when making tongue in cheek comments live on air during the game ...............well known agreement?

Slipping on my protective headwear its APL time, just about 40 predictions this week, and I’m most impressed that 14 people got amongst the points, 12 of those predicting a draw, with just one, and who says he knows bugger all, it’s the Champion of saying how it is, FilthyDon, who scores top points this week, gets a mention in the APL Hall of Fame, and a signed copy of Robbie Neilson’s book, “Lewie & Me”.

Two others predicted a goal shy Dons and get 5 points, there were just 42 points scored this week.

The Cobblers thread will be out later today.

Cheers

8-) WellDon

The APL Hall of Fame
3 – MK59DON
2 – Southstander, Camdenite, Blodwyn, Scribble
1 – BertieWoostersDonsClub, mkdonsdan4, BuzzardDon, kempstondons6, ChaChaDon, Dazzerdon, epdon, Kowalski, Grundit, Sparky, Bloxham Don, Just A Don, Woburn, Peterr, Greg, APMKDon, Steampunk Don, Oldfarmdons, Fraser, FilthyDon

APL League Table 2017/18
97 POINTS – Southstander, Scribble
96 POINTS – Camdenite
92 POINTS - SG19 Cowshed das Boot
91 POINTS – SteelbackDon
79 POINTS - Nobbydon
76 POINTS – Sparky
68 POINTS - FilthyDon
64 POINTS - Bill
62 POINTS – kempstondons6
61 POINTS – MK59DON, Woburn
60 POINTS – Bloxham Don
59 POINTS – Just A Don
57 POINTS – Greg
54 POINTS - BertieWoostersDonsClub
52 POINTS – epdon, Oldfarmdons, mightydons
51 POINTS - familymkdonsfan
49 POINTS – Blodwyn, Fraser
46 POINTS – OldStratfordDon
44 POINTS – ChaChaDon, silverous
43 POINTS – donnette, D8DON
40 POINTS – chrisdon, Dons50
39 POINTS – mkdonsdan4
37 POINTS – Don gal
35 POINTS – APMKDon
33 POINTS – TomMac&Ernie
32 POINTS – edmundpwb
31 POINTS – Oldbloke
30 POINTS – Bex’s Dad
29 POINTS – Bearhidesboy64
28 POINTS – Dazzerdon, DonsDuck
27 POINTS – Dunstable Don, WellDon, Steampunk Don, OakeeDokee
26 POINTS – Kowalski
25 POINTS – Concretecowbelle, Third Team Lucky
24 POINTS – BuzzardDon, Oldbloke
23 POINTS – Grundit, RussybCool
22 POINTS – Peterr
20 POINTS – leodon
16 POINTS – JackDon
15 POINTS – Matthew
14 POINTS – Scumarmy
12 POINTS - Alby
11 POINTS – Locutus
10 POINTS – Croydon, donmentor
9 POINTS – yorkie, MBenn90455, MKAylesburyDon, Zippy
8 POINTS – Cheffy1
7 POINTS – ExtraTime, MKBuffalo
6 POINTS – Dad_of_A _Don
4 POINTS – Zameen, Ten-Don, Adebayo Akinfenwa
2 POINTS – BetterCallSaul, DippyDon, Abritt 6564

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:53 am 
Good post as usual, I enjoy these end of week summaries.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:05 am 

Just a response on Ugbo.

I imagine they weighed up the idea of explaining the Ugbo agreement, but given what game it was, and how susceptible our lot are to a social media meltdown......I imagine they thought they would cross that bridge when they come to it!

I can only imagine what this place would be like if it was all explained when he signed. Filthy's laptop would have resembled Buncefield.

Was it worth signing him early for him to then return for this reserve game today? No idea, as we don't know how popular he is on other teams target lists. But the decision makes sense on reflection.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:10 am 
Towcestrian wrote:
Just a response on Ugbo.

I imagine they weighed up the idea of explaining the Ugbo agreement, but given what game it was, and how susceptible our lot are to a social media meltdown......I imagine they thought they would cross that bridge when they come to it!

I can only imagine what this place would be like if it was all explained when he signed. Filthy's laptop would have resembled Buncefield.

Was it worth signing him early for him to then return for this reserve game today? No idea, as we don't know how popular he is on other teams target lists. But the decision makes sense on reflection.

What are you on about? Read my reply in the Ugbo thread explaining why he didnt play. Hardly hysterical.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am 

Just like to be the first to say

We are too good to go down.

But to clarify

The table doesn't lie and we have been dreadful most of season.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:29 am 

APMKDon wrote:
Just like to be the first to say

We are too good to go down.

But to clarify

The table doesn't lie and we have been dreadful most of season.

You aren’t the first......possibly the last.......but definitely not the first.