THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 11:49 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:23 am 

Leaving the football to one side (please leave the football to one side!).

I was thinking about the lead up and staging of the game today, and I wonder if the number of times we've now played has started to take the edge off the fixture?

Numbers - each time they come, the numbers edge slowly downwards towards a true boycott. Today was nothing special as regards away numbers for them; they have pretty good core away support for a club their size. It's just now it's down to that core of people supporting their team. It doesn't seem to attract the holier-than-though brigade anymore.

Build up - very little interest in the national media.

Aggro - very little before or after. No more than we'd get with a handful of other clubs with *ahem* reputations.

Atmosphere - this was the most telling. Neither set of fans seemed up for it. Both sets were dialling it in.

Now, I'm not suggesting we will soon be invited to their picnics; there will be hatred and rancour for years to come. And there will be flashpoints and incidents. Putting them in the top deck to avoid pitch invasions was a wise move. But today was much flatter than, say, an equivalent game between Oxford and Swindon.

Maybe we've moved into another phase of our history...

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:28 am 

I believe Ardley was trying to say that but had to be careful of the zealots back at Kingston. Amusing he was interviewed with Dons displayed behind him.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/sport/footba ... k-14150333

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:33 am 

ReturnofMoo wrote:
I believe Ardley was trying to say that but had to be careful of the zealots back at Kingston. Amusing he was interviewed with Dons displayed behind him.

http://www.getsurrey.co.uk/sport/footba ... k-14150333

And there was very little outrage at this on WUP as well.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:34 am 

Nerves wise and “looking forward to it” so to speak was the least I’ve ever looked forward to a game between that lot. I dislike them a lot but weirdly felt almost nothing going into this.

Depending how you look at it it could be good or bad. I think we need a proper rival. And I think AFC are that. But it’s so petty it’s got more boring and tedious now than anything. I kinda miss the days when we’d play a Posh and it’d be all about the League and points between us. Not about silly off the field shit. In a weird way and I think even Posh fans would agree with this (Despite not being long after we’d formed) there was a respect between the clubs in how they approached things. I think we won’t give credit or receive credit for it but I think we both as clubs learnt a lot from each other.

I always had a few people raise eyebrows when I said I kinda liked Peterborough. Always feels like we are each other’s annoying cousins. Rather than two clubs who despised each other and made for a tedious fragile relationship.

This fixture between us and AFC is becoming more normal. But not for the better. Just becoming a bit boring and it’ll be this way forever I think. Only time it’ll ever be easier or exciting is if we met in a playoff semi final or something.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:36 am 
Never had a problem with Ardley, he has always come across as a professional who just wants to get on with his job. Its their fans and petty social media team that let their club down.

I think the edge has gone from the fixture now its been played a few times. We’ve beaten them, they’ve beaten us etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:46 am 

Next issue is Luton. Which with 3CR and other local media being involved could be an issue or two made with the relative “favouritism” by some :lol:

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:57 am 

Still definitely a rivalry. Anyone who went to the away fixture will agree.

Yesterday was just a case of both sides were probably willing to accept a draw. Neilson knew that it would be curtains if he had lost so played for the draw, and KFC just need to pick up any points they can away from home.

Also RE Ardley he’s not bad for a KFC manager, especially seeing as he’s an easy target with the whole supporting the move thing. Definitely one of the few people inside that club I can actually stand.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:13 am 

Ardley is a professional league manager, so won't harm his future prospects of employment elsewhere by being a tit. He also knows the real Wimbledon story, as he was part of it. The previous managers Brown and Anderson acted in a manner appropriate to their level, with no first hand knowledge of Wimbledon FC.

Now back to my level, arse, cock, fanny etc.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am 
Lord Doogle wrote:
Ardley is a professional league manager, so won't harm his future prospects of employment elsewhere by being a tit. He also knows the real Wimbledon story, as he was part of it. The previous managers Brown and Anderson acted in a manner appropriate to their level, with no first hand knowledge of Wimbledon FC.

Now back to my level, arse, cock, fanny etc.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:56 pm 

Their chants against us are having no effect now which must really get to them.
Yes, we are The Franchise, Yes, Stad MK is a library (I always read a good book during the game) It's just that we don't care what insults the throw at us.
Now if they said our seats were uncomfortable with no leg room, that would really annoy me. :lol: