THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 2:16 pm

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:32 am 

There was a sense on here last night, that many really do believe that we are now likely to go down. I really think that is unlikely. If you take emotion out of it and examine what a relegation heading team looks like year after year, then I'd suggest we currently don't look like one.

What does a relegation heading team look like mid -Jan, in any season? I'd suggest they'd usually tick at least half of these boxes:-

Already in relegation zone
Very poor run of form over Christmas
Out of all cups
Losing key players in the transfer window as they jump ship
Conceding goals at an alarming rate
Terrible goal difference
Rumours of serious unrest in dressing room
Manager and Chairman publicly falling out
Getting battered by the promotion contender sides
Squad so low on depth and quality that the bench consistently has no league 1 experience
Crowd REALLY calling for the manger to be sacked
Most clubs seeing a fixture against us as a 'three- pointer' opportunity when coming to our ground
History of losing relegation battles

For me, the absolute worst thing we could do is to de-stabilise where we currently are by sacking Neilson, however uncomfortable that is to hear for those who want instant gratification in solving problems. If we do go down - we have a real problem. Let's not overly increase that risk when the current trajectory, for me, is that if things follow the natural way of football we will not go down this season. Sack Neilson in the summer, if needs be. Not now.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:49 am 

I agree with most of your points. I genuinely don’t think we will go down. As bad as we are performing we have good players hall get the odd “1 win in 5” that’ll see us through. I can’t see us going on 6/7 game winless runs that’d relegate us. The fact we are in the relegation areas is the biggest worry. And insult if anything.

However not every relegation scenario is the same. You see things that you listed occasionally but generally not all the time. No team is too good to go down. All we need is for us to maintain our average form and for teams around us, 2 maximum to have great runs. And it happens. There is always one side and I genuinely can’t see it being us.

I also disagree about sacking Neilson. We saw what Rotherham did when we were in the Championship. That one season when they got Warnock in. It saved them no end. Forget what happened afterwards and the fact they went down that’s another situation. That season they had a change and it worked. I think even a short term appointment would work. Or could work. Who knows. But it’s obvious this bloke isn’t the right man. I think a change now won’t happen but if we drop into the relegation zone you could see a change. People keep saying “who” but it’s like settling for a shit girlfriend just because you’re scared you can’t find anyone else. Who else was there when Robbo left? We took a chance.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:04 am 

Alby wrote:
I agree with most of your points. I genuinely don’t think we will go down. As bad as we are performing we have good players hall get the odd “1 win in 5” that’ll see us through. I can’t see us going on 6/7 game winless runs that’d relegate us. The fact we are in the relegation areas is the biggest worry. And insult if anything.

However not every relegation scenario is the same. You see things that you listed occasionally but generally not all the time. No team is too good to go down. All we need is for us to maintain our average form and for teams around us, 2 maximum to have great runs. And it happens. There is always one side and I genuinely can’t see it being us.

I also disagree about sacking Neilson. We saw what Rotherham did when we were in the Championship. That one season when they got Warnock in. It saved them no end. Forget what happened afterwards and the fact they went down that’s another situation. That season they had a change and it worked. I think even a short term appointment would work. Or could work. Who knows. But it’s obvious this bloke isn’t the right man. I think a change now won’t happen but if we drop into the relegation zone you could see a change. People keep saying “who” but it’s like settling for a shit girlfriend just because you’re scared you can’t find anyone else. Who else was there when Robbo left? We took a chance.

Ed Rubio could at least step in as temporary manager

https://www.miltonkeynes.co.uk/sport/fo ... -1-8004590

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:51 am 

I’d love to give him a go. Least he’d have a passionate team playing with a bit of fucking style. But I wonder if he knows the League enough to get results. He’d need a very experienced number two to have any impact though I reckon.

Apparently.

UTF

Last edited by Alby on Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:08 am 

Rubio wouldn’t work for the quick fix merchants.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:39 am 

Now we are picking up the classic long term injuries.....we are definitely going down.

It will be fun. Don't panic. :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 9:42 am 
People have been saying “i just cant see us going down” since November. Nothing has improved and our league position is worse. Before we know it, it will be May. We are already over halfway.

We might not go down, but there is no evidence to suggest we arent at serious risk.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:16 am 

Rotherham got relegated the following season. I’d say that’s proof that short termism doesn’t really work. What was the point of disrupting things just to stay up by the skin of your teeth?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:22 am 

Ed might not know the league.
Whats RN excuse

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:22 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
People have been saying “i just cant see us going down” since November. Nothing has improved and our league position is worse. Before we know it, it will be May. We are already over halfway.

We might not go down, but there is no evidence to suggest we arent at serious risk.

If you’d have asked me last week I would have said I don’t think we will go down, after yesterday I have to say with the squad as bare as it is (for whatever reason) I really can’t see a way out of this mess. If we are second best to a pub team at our own ground then what hope have we got against the better sides ? The only thing that can change this situation is bringing in a number of players in the next couple of weeks.