THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:54 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:26 am 
Kempstondons6 wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
People have been saying “i just cant see us going down” since November. Nothing has improved and our league position is worse. Before we know it, it will be May. We are already over halfway.

We might not go down, but there is no evidence to suggest we arent at serious risk.

If you’d have asked me last week I would have said I don’t think we will go down, after yesterday I have to say with the squad as bare as it is (for whatever reason) I really can’t see a way out of this mess. If we are second best to a pub team at our own ground then what hope have we got against the better sides ? The only thing that can change this situation is bringing in a number of players in the next couple of weeks.

AFC are a resilient side under Ardley, and Northampton are making resurgence having invested in the transfer market. Bury and Rochdale are as good as down but there are still 2 more places that we are a whisker away from.

The only way Neilson might be able to save us is with heavy investment over the next couple of weeks - 6 players minimum, as its obvious his tactics dont work so we are relying on the players.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 10:40 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Alby wrote:
We saw what Rotherham did when we were in the Championship. That one season when they got Warnock in. It saved them no end. Forget what happened afterwards and the fact they went down that’s another situation. That season they had a change and it worked.I think even a short term appointment would work. Or could work. Who knows. But it’s obvious this bloke isn’t the right man. I think a change now won’t happen but if we drop into the relegation zone you could see a change. People keep saying “who” but it’s like settling for a shit girlfriend just because you’re scared you can’t find anyone else. Who else was there when Robbo left? We took a chance.

People keep using the Rotherham example as "proof" that sacking a manager works. But it's not. What it is is proof that "getting a great manager for your level" works. And it is relevant what happened the following season to Rotherham as, without Warnock, they had three different managers and were relegated. Which supports the idea that is was the Warnock appointment, not just the sacking of the manager, that kept them up. That's why some people keep saying "who?" to appoint if we sack Neilson. Because it's bloody important. The most important decision of it all. There's not many out there to "do a Warnock", and going off PW's history he would never appoint someone of Warnock's age and experience anyway. We'll get another young, relatively inexperienced manager, so any comparisons to the Warnock situation seem specious to me.

So effectively you mean someone cheap..... :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:09 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
AFC are a resilient side under Ardley

They're 22nd in the league. How is that resilient?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:17 am 
keyser soze wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

They always seem to get out of difficulty and start performing, dont think under Ardley theyve consistantly been on a downward trend like we have, they always have a reasonable second half to their seasons.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:20 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

They always seem to get out of difficulty and start performing, dont think under Ardley theyve consistantly been on a downward trend like we have, they always have a reasonable second half to their seasons.

We had a reasonable second half to the season last year.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:20 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Have they been in a relegation scrap, I thought the were always going up. As they say, the faster they go up the fast they can do down.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:39 am 
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

They're the 2nd lowest scorers in the league, but crucially, for the resilient argument, they've conceded the least in the bottom ten (and less than two of the teams in the play-offs). He's made them tough to score against which helps them in a relegation battle as they might be able to sneak vital one-nil wins (which is what Pulis, Warnock, etc, do when they take over struggling teams). So they are resilient defensively, they just can't score.

Not necessarily talking about these season, but about all of their seasons under Ardley. Theyve never dropped considerably in the second half of a season and usually improve a fair bit.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 11:43 am 

We will finish above AFC Wimbledon. Anyone want a bet?

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:18 pm 
dons50 wrote:

I also think we will finish above them

PostPosted: Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:27 pm 

dons50 wrote:

Would be irrelevant if they finish third bottom and we finish fourth bottom.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 41 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next