The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:15 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Paul Butler
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:24 pm 

rosie47 wrote:
Aliramone wrote:
rosie47 wrote:
if I remember correctly we signed him when martin allen randomly decided to transfer list a load of players in the middle of the season. he was solid enough but clearly towards the back end of his career and eventually dropped out of the starting xi.

I remember that well. Including my fave player at the time Matt Baker and IIRC the captain Ben Chorley. It was at that point I thought the sobriquet 'mad dog' was very apposite. He lost my respect after that hissy fit.

baker left at the start of the season I think. the story I heard was that he refused to go for a swim in willen lake as part of some kind of pre-season ‘bonding’ but I have no idea whether that’s true or not.

The Matt Baker/Martin Allen story I heard was that Baker introduced himself by saying "Hello, I'm Matt Baker your No.1 keeper" to which Allen replied,"No your not, I don't have any number ones." End of story and career basically.

Sounds like the 'stories' that went around in the old days were every bit as good and just as wide of the truth as they are today!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:54 pm 
The other story flying around at the time was that on Allen's first day, Matt walked past him and said "Hi Mad Dog" which was enough to have him never play again.

No idea whether any of them were true of course, but they all helped build the Mad Dog myth.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:19 pm 
I think there's a lot of truth in what you say, however it's also true that he turned the club around, kept us in the football league and came close to getting us promoted, so he'll always have a special place in our history.

He did come up short in the end, but any club who is looking for someone to shake things up would do well to consider him.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:31 am 

Football needs it's pantomime villains and Allen is one of them. So all good from a Business of Show perspective.

As a bloke - most probably a bully and an arsehole.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:16 am 

Don't know if any of you recall but when Allen was manager of MKD he substitute any player that got booked. Would've thought not a good idea as harm shape of the team, make team weaker even though say the best player on the day has to back off challenges after being booked.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 12:51 pm 
Lord Doogle wrote:
Don't know if any of you recall but when Allen was manager of MKD he substitute any player that got booked. Would've thought not a good idea as harm shape of the team, make team weaker even though say the best player on the day has to back off challenges after being booked.

This read like you were speaking in broken English with a Chinese accent

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 1:37 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Lord Doogle wrote:

Racist!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:04 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Lord Doogle wrote:

Whilst also trying to pretend to be Yoda....

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:14 pm 

Aliramone wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Lord Doogle wrote:

Whilst also trying to pretend to be Yoda....

That's why his Lordship normally sticks to cock references. Too much port on this occasion.