THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu May 16, 2024 8:16 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next
 Post subject: Re: Thoughts on Castore
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:40 am 

AB4 wrote:
cornerdon26 wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
East Wing Don wrote:
Russybcool wrote:
We the fans are not the target audience for the kits. I have had on good authority that Castore stuff is amazing for it's intended use (running around in) but you pay a premium price. Yeah the kits are shit. Yeah the cost is OTT but if it is more comfy for the players then that is probably what they were going for. It would be interesting to see how many are wearing it on Saturday.

If that were true, clubs wouldn't release a new kit every season. Revenue is a huge driver behind kits. Obviously the fit/feel is more important for the players but the revenue generated from sales is still important.

You've also got to look at the next generation of fans as well, which is why I'm so pissed off that currently the smallest size you can buy is aged 8. Getting your first football kit is a big thing and also a factor in who you end up supporting. Its important for the club to be selling shirts not just for revenue, but to draw in local kids to support their local team.

It's completely the opposite. A 2020 article states that clubs only get 7.5% of shirt sales. So the reason why they make kits every season is so they can get people spending every year. So on a £50 shirt the club is only making £3.75 and this article is the Premier League so we might get even less. If they didn't make kits every season they wouldn't make anything really. Obviously, this is a two year old article, but I can't imagine there has been much change.

https://www.goal.com/en/news/how-much-money-do-football-clubs-make-from-shirt-sales/gv14e9wc0vny1vtyr0rxqqan5

As for your situation I wouldn't worry yet. The BBC article posted earlier shows that there is a countrywide problem with kits so you would like to think they would sort their shit out soon enough (I hope).

Correct me if I'm wrong but don't manufacturer's pay an upfront fee in order to make the kits? I know this is definitely the case for elite clubs. So I'd assume if we sold more shirts, we could demand more for the contracts, and maybe from the shirt sponsors too? So whilst we may get a small commission per shirt, we want more shirt sales to generate better income from the sponsors contracts

Clubs pretty much only make direct money from the sale of a shirt when they sell it through their own club shop. So we will make £5-10 or whatever the mark up is (except for Liverpool who have a different deal with Nike).

We'll also make money from the shirt manufacturer as a lump sum to give them the privilege to make the shirts.

But, as you say, we can also command a higher fee from the shirt sponsor if more people buy the shirts and therefore they get greater exposure. Same applies to a fee paid by the shirt manufacturer to the club.
Clubs like us who'll sell so few shirts each season won't get much of a fee though.

I am wondering if the lump sum will be paid as Castore are managing our club shop and the associated website. It seems like we have scratched their back they scratch ours deal on the table. I am only speculating, but it would seem odd that Castore would pay money to run our club shop and website and to make the kits. I agree with you about Suzuki they pay us a wedge to be our shirt sponsors, probably more than a kit supplier would.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 5:01 pm 

I don't buy merch other than programmes so it doesn't bother me.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:03 pm 

Locutus wrote:
I don't buy merch other than programmes so it doesn't bother me.

Groin-grabbingly good insight, there.

"Shut the fuck up, you sausage!"

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2022 6:39 pm 
*Sigh*

https://www.mkdons.com/teams/first-team/

scruffy lot

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 7:39 am 

Maybe we've all misread it. Castore do the England cricket kit. Castrol are doing our kits. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 3:46 pm 

Anyone know the score with the training kit? Will it be upgraded with the badge and numbers/initials? Perhaps waiting for squad number announcement.

It seems very amateur up until now, especially seeing as other clubs with Castore are fully kitted out.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 6:45 pm 

ChaChaDon wrote:
Anyone know the score with the training kit? Will it be upgraded with the badge and numbers/initials? Perhaps waiting for squad number announcement.

It seems very amateur up until now, especially seeing as other clubs with Castore are fully kitted out.

Hmmm...
There are only six teams in the English top four tiers with Castore kit: in the Prem and fully kitted out on-line shops are Aston Villa, Newcastle and Wolves.
In League 1 are Charlton, who are fully kitted out apart from baby sizes, and us.
And in League 2 are Salford, who only have the home kit and a goalie kit.
Bizarrely, Wolves, who have one of the cheapest kits in the Prem at £55 are having a 15% off flash sale so a shirt is currently only £46.75!
There are lots of other teams that are struggling with supply from many different manufacturers so I'm not sure we can blame Castore for much of this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:14 pm 

Castore have a lot to answer for, even the fold up fixture card has oil smears on it :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 9:51 am 

Club not even sure when the Castore run club shop will open.

They really can fuck off

PostPosted: Thu Jul 28, 2022 11:50 am 

None

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 210 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 21  Next