THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 9:23 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Next round
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:23 pm 

Galverion wrote:
Will not be Arsenal anyway....although I see they played a reserve team against Forest

Wenger is foolish. The FA Cup is the only thing Arsenal can realistically win. No wonder my Arsenal pals have wanted him out for the past 7 or 8 years...

Still, not our problem ! We are into the 4th Round draw, and Arsenal are not :lol:

Well they're in the semi final of the League Cup so they definitely have a chance of winning that. Going out in the third round for Arsenal is obviously disappointing,but they've one 3 out of the last 4 FA Cups, and Wenger and Arsenal have won the most, it's not like they have no idea what they're doing and Wenger was bound to get knocked out in the third round and some point (he's never been knocked out this early in 20 years, which is pretty incredible).

Getting a big premier League team would be great. Financially away would be better because FA Cup away teams get half the gate revenue. Someone like Arsenal would have been alright, I don't want us to be embarrassed though like against Chelsea which just destroyed McFadzean's confidence.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:25 pm 

RobbieGiveUsAWave wrote:
...like against Chelsea which just destroyed McFadzean's confidence.

Glad I'm not the only one who thought that. He was never the same again (for us) after that mauling.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 6:38 pm 

Galverion wrote:
Will not be Arsenal anyway....although I see they played a reserve team against Forest

Wenger is foolish. The FA Cup is the only thing Arsenal can realistically win. No wonder my Arsenal pals have wanted him out for the past 7 or 8 years...

Still, not our problem ! We are into the 4th Round draw, and Arsenal are not :lol:

Arsenal most definitely have a chance of winning the Europa cup thingy, whatever it’s called.
But all these Prem teams and some championship teams, playing second string teams deserve to get shit results, underestimate the opponent at your peril

Dons v WBA in the next round

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:42 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Scribble wrote:
Galverion wrote:

Arsenal most definitely have a chance of winning the Europa cup thingy, whatever it’s called.
But all these Prem teams and some championship teams, playing second string teams deserve to get shit results, underestimate the opponent at your peril.

I don't think it's so much the clubs "underestimating their opponents," and more the managers prioritizing the league for fear of the sack. It's the managers who make the call, and I can only imagine that so many are choosing to play weakened teams because it is by achieving the clubs league objectives - title, promotion, avoiding relegation - that a manager is judged by the club, media, and many fans, rather than on a good cup run or even winning the cup. During the season, and at the end of it, their league position is deemed by most to decide whether a manager is succeeding, and not progression in cup competitions.
Look at Arsene Wenger - they've won the FA cup 3 times in last 4 seasons but all he's had for those 4 years is people saying he's lost it and should resign. And Mourinho's United won 2 cups last season but overall it was deemed a poor season because they finished 5th.
I personally don't agree with it, as I think trophies are something always to be sought after and cup comps taken seriously, but it's definitely the case that managers fear the sack more for underperforming in the league than in the cups, and so most are hoping to scrape through early rounds with weakened teams, while some are even
deliberately throwing the cup games in order to leave complete focus on achieving the clubs targets in the league.

Yeah, I get that, I just think it’s arrogant of the “bigger clubs” to think they can field a second string side and still probably get a result, so I find it bloody hilarious when it goes tits up and causes huge embarrassment to everyone at that club and their supporters, who most definitely will be feeling the humiliation

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:07 am 

For me any prem team away bar Brighton. Only cause I have been there before. Nothing personal. In fact I will take any place I haven't been before or Cov away.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:32 pm 

I hope we draw Spurs

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:42 pm 

I just have a gut feeling it will be one of the big sides...

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:46 pm 
You just know it's going to be Reading away.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:59 pm 

Kempstondons6 wrote:
I just have a gut feeling it will be one of the big sides...

I'm feeling my big gut. :ugeek:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 7:01 pm 

Newport County........I hope not, but I get a nagging feeling.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next