THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 10:23 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Enough is enough.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:05 am 
Nobody in favour of keeping Neilson in the hope of things improving has provided any justification for thinking that.

People back in September/October were saying things like "he needs time" or "I'll judge him in December".

Now it's December, he's had time, and things have worsened.

There is absolutely no reasoning, justification or evidence that Neilson is going to improve things. The evidence (things we can make predictions on) - i.e. stats, form, other team's form - all point to Neilson not being able to improve things, and for us to continue on a downward trend.

Fair enough if it was only a month's worth of games, but we're now halfway through a season. If Neilson had a magic trick up his sleeve to improve results, he would have done so by now.

Are we going to ignore the evidence, results and our league position, and just blindly believe (hope) that somehow things will turn out okay?

Because I'd rather believe FACTS, EVIDENCE and TRENDS, than wild guesses and faith.

If someone defending Neilson can provide any of the above, then I'm all ears. Simply saying "well, he's brought his family down and it's Christmas" isn't going to improve results, and bringing your family down shouldn't give a very well paid manager or player an advantage over any other manager or player who hasn't relocated.

Changing manager, worst case scenario - we continue the way we are going with Neilson. We have nothing to lose, literally. All of the stats/performances/results this season are either the worst, joint worst or 2nd worst we've ever had at this level.

I'll point out again, since 30th September, we have had the joint worst form and points return out of the ENTIRE football league, not just League 1.

Finally, whilst we're sat in 19th, 3 points off relegation, I'll end it with this quote from Winkie himself as part of his justification for sacking Karl Robinson:

Quote:
"Where we can't be, is 19th in League One - it's the lowest position we've ever been in since being in this stadium. We're going backwards, not forwards, and as chairman I have to take the ultimate responsibility. So even when it's someone I have a brilliant working relationship with, football has it's own rules"

- Pete Winkelman, 25th October 2016

Post subject: Re: Enough is enough.
PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:41 am 

Cannot argue with any of that Filthy Don....football is a results business, like it or not (not chiefly about entertainment even) and when you stand back from it all and analyse RN's stats, you have to conclude that he has failed.

Pete was brave to go for another young manager after Robbo, but he has to concede it was a mistake. No shame in that by the way - he was sincere in getting in RN, but for one reason or another it simply has not worked.

I think most MKD fans would agree that not only have we not improved in results since RN has been here, but our style of football has been very medicore, sometimes dire.

Given he has been here for over a year, what justification can there be for him to stay now ?

When I look back over his tenure, the only "stand out" match in terms of result and performance was Peterborough away (the Chuks goal etc)

Time to go RN.....

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 2:43 am 

The quote by Pete says it all. Do your bit please Pete.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 8:19 am 

I've just looked back at season games. We have dropped 6 points from winning positions. Won once from a losing position(Admittedly only happened once in about 2 years).
We have beaten teams in 24 23 21 20 18 and 15th place. The points we have got from draws with top 6 have been late equaliser except Shrewsbury.
Most of goals we have conceded are defensive frailties otherwise known as mistakes.

Next 2 games are massive.
Win things probably stay as they are lose or even draw PW will have lots to consider.

Anyone who does not think that these stats is not relegation form I suggest needs a Xmas drink.

Will it be a Happy New year.
I fear squeaky bum time

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:06 am 

From someone who goes to 90% of the games, other than a couple of games this season, the football has been the worst I've seen, on paper we have a side that should finish between 3rd and 10th in the league in my opinion, but I believe if Neilson is still in charge come May 5th, then I'm convinced we will be going down to league two, there is no plan on the pitch, he's blinkered towards some players, especially Sow, he's upset too many other's, but most importantly he's upset the fan's, lifeblood of any club.
Apparently at half time yesterday, there was a scuffle by the food kiosk between our own fans, I was at the game, but didn't see it, if he and or his players realised what us fans go through sometimes just to get to games, and show the passion we do, then things would be different.
We were supposed to leave on the 09.47 from Leamington to Sheffield, but do to a train strike by a certain train operator, it took six trains and over four hours, but we got to the game on time, sometimes I really do wonder if it's all worth it, but unlike the players, I'll put the effort in, and will continue to, but we are in a terrible mess, but the mess started before Neilson arrived, it's just got a bit worse, football is a result based industry, and we're not getting any, we are decent fish in this league, and should be doing far better, we have some very tough games coming up, 23 Cup finals, anyone who doesn't think we can go down is deluded.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:22 am 

Just to add a bit of balance, there is a report on SkySports today that says we have the second best Boxing Day winning ratio in the leagues (67%). Let's hope history repeats itself on Tuesday.

I'm not particularly hopeful but maybe things will look better after the next 2 home games and then Oxford away.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:25 am 

If Neilson is still here at end of January I think there's a good chance of us going down.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:29 am 
AB4 wrote:
Just to add a bit of balance, there is a report on SkySports today that says we have the second best Boxing Day winning ratio in the leagues (67%). Let's hope history repeats itself on Tuesday.

I'm not particularly hopeful but maybe things will look better after the next 2 home games and then Oxford away.

I'm still haunted by that awful 0-3 home defeat to Walsall a few years ago.

I think we could go on all season about how "it's all about the next 2/3 games", but quite a few have been saying that for the past few weeks/months and people are forgetting about the bigger picture. Weren't we all saying that a couple of weeks ago for the Southend and Doncaster games, but ended up with 1 point out of 6?

Yes we will eventually get a win somewhere, but so will the teams below us. We haven't had a convincing league win all season. Even when we won a few games in September, they were against the run of play and largely undeserved.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 9:59 am 

.... I went to that. Kay and Fadz had a poor game. Was Grigg playing for them - cant remember ?

PostPosted: Sun Dec 24, 2017 10:03 am 

FilthyDon wrote:
AB4 wrote:

I'm still haunted by that awful 0-3 home defeat to Walsall a few years ago.

I think we could go on all season about how "it's all about the next 2/3 games", but quite a few have been saying that for the past few weeks/months and people are forgetting about the bigger picture. Weren't we all saying that a couple of weeks ago for the Southend and Doncaster games, but ended up with 1 point out of 6?

Yes we will eventually get a win somewhere, but so will the teams below us. We haven't had a convincing league win all season. Even when we won a few games in September, they were against the run of play and largely undeserved.

:shock: Ridiculous optimism. Boo. Resign.