THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Brittain for England
PostPosted: Mon Oct 16, 2017 12:34 pm 

Good BBC article here:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41609291

Interesting that he attributes a lot of his development down to that time in Iceland. It would have done a couple of the youngsters good for them to have gone out there this last summer. I hope it’s something that we resurrect.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:30 pm 

I have it on very good authority that he has been offered a three year contract but is a little unhappy at the financial deal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:59 pm 
Kempstondons6 wrote:
I have it on very good authority that he has been offered a three year contract but is a little unhappy at the financial deal.

If the club have any sense, they'll be drilling into him how things worked with Dele...giving him a new long term contract a year before he was signed by Spurs...the club signing him then have to offer the club and the player a better deal to buy out his contract effectively. There was probably an unofficial agreement with Dele that he signed a new deal on the basis that we would definitely let him move on when a club came in for him.

If a big club came in for him now, he could go for next to nothing as his deal us up in 8 months and would blow us out the water on wages.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:59 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Kempstondons6 wrote:

If the club have any sense, they'll be drilling into him how things worked with Dele...giving him a new long term contract a year before he was signed by Spurs...the club signing him then have to offer the club and the player a better deal to buy out his contract effectively. There was probably an unofficial agreement with Dele that he signed a new deal on the basis that we would definitely let him move on when a club came in for him.

If a big club came in for him now, he could go for next to nothing as his deal us up in 8 months and would blow us out the water on wages.

Does he have the same agent as Dele ;)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2017 6:37 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
Kempstondons6 wrote:

What would be in it for the player though? They need to drill it into him that it's better playing for a League One club than sitting on the bench in the reserves for a Premier League Club.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:41 am 

Don Direction wrote:

What would be in it for the player though? They need to drill it into him that it's better playing for a League One club than sitting on the bench in the reserves for a Premier League Club.

That’s always be the argument we’ll have to use, but the bigger clubs can always counter that with the fact they’ll be working with better coaches, at better training facilities, alongside better players, all of which will improve a player’s game too. Added to that the financial incentive then it’s not as simple as “stay here and develop”.

For what it’s worth, I think you’re right, but I dont think the decision is solely financial for a lot young players in Callum’s position.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 7:50 am 

Don Direction wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Kempstondons6 wrote:

It's better for some but not for others. You learn a lot from being around great players and great coaches. Conversely you can also learn a lot from playing games. It's not a simple answer.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:05 am 

leodon wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Kempstondons6 wrote:

At least we can hope Robbo won't be getting a cut!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2017 5:13 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
leodon wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:
Kempstondons6 wrote:

At least we can hope Robbo won't be getting a cut!

I'd forgotten about that. ;)