THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:14 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:52 pm 

This isn't a time to be mucking about speculating on who might be a good manager. I have faith that ed rubio will be a great coach/manager one day but that ship has sailed for me right now. Had we been 11th in the table, going nowhere and the reason for neilsons departure was squad/fan harmony then id say give ed the back end of the season to coach these players the mk way, the way they were expecting to play when mk dons came calling and the reputation we had as an attacking passing side and then see how he takes to the job and whether hes the right fit to lead us into next season. However we are bang in trouble. The enormity of the challenge is greater than that karl robinsons successor faced to keep us up.

I would be banging on former dons doors for a favour. Id plead with RDM to come and lead the ship and I would beg dan mcciche to come in and coach the players alongside him and get them playing the dons way. RDM has been in this position before and hit the ground running taking over a club in a fall from grace mid season and dan mm is an exceptional coach. I would see if they would consider working together for thevremainder of the season and agree to talk in the summer about where they see themselves going from there and whether theyd be the right fit or there was an interest in a role at the club longer term. Dan m especially because he is an exceptional talent.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:59 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Sausage wrote:
What exactly is it that has demonstrated Lewington’s ability to manage a League One club?

This.
Towcestrian wrote:
Love how Rubio is the saviour based on a few interviews and a coaching course in Spain. :lol:

And this.

We can't keep sacking a manager every 12 months so if we do sack Neilson (and I have no issue with that), we have to get this next appointment right. It's no time for someone with no managerial experience. The fact that no-one on here is coming up with an experienced, successful lower league manager who traditionally plays the MK way is a worry, given that that's what most of us want.
Just who is out there for PW to appoint if/when Neilson goes? I genuinely don't know, and no-one on here seems to either. That's another huge dilemma for PW. Not just the sacking, but the hiring.

Far too sensible. Hush now

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:28 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Dan Micciche has parted company with the FA.

Shame. He was instrumental in giving our youth set-up the identity it has, and iirc had some out-there ideas at the time that have now to come common place at many other academies. I hope he doesn't become our manager, purely because I don't want him to stop working at youth level

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:47 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Dan Micciche has parted company with the FA.

Shame. He was instrumental in giving our youth set-up the identity it has, and iirc had some out-there ideas at the time that have now to come common place at many other academies. I hope he doesn't become our manager, purely because I don't want him to stop working at youth level

I don’t think it ended well.

http://www.thefa.com/news/2017/dec/21/t ... any-221217

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:22 pm 

Slight aside, as I'm not putting his name forward for us, but a manager that must be due a job in league one or the championship is Danny Cowley at Lincoln. His style of play isn't pretty and he was released by Wimbledon aged 16, so like I say I'm not necessarily saying for us, but his record is impressive. He's only 39 (and again I think we need a more experienced manager) but he started in management in early 30's and got 3 promotions in 4 years with a lower level non-league club. Took over Lincoln last year and got them promoted as well as to Q/F of FA Cup: and this year they're 3rd so far in league two. So far his career (with his brother as assistant) has just been an upward progression of success and there must be teams looking at him to give him a chance at a higher level. He's not got enough league experience for us in our current position, but I don't think it will be long before some club take a chance on him.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:25 pm 

Is Lewie remotely ready to manage?

No, he still thinks he’s the best left back in league 1, he’s nowhere near management level, with or without the coaching badges, one day, but not yet.........

I was there 30/12/17. The miracle of the MK 9

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 8:37 pm 

Slight aside, as I'm not putting his name forward for us, but a manager that must be due a job in league one or the championship is Danny Cowley at Lincoln. His style of play isn't pretty and he was released by Wimbledon aged 16, so like I say I'm not necessarily saying for us, but his record is impressive. He's only 39 (and again I think we need a more experienced manager) but he started in management in early 30's and got 3 promotions in 4 years with a lower level non-league club. Took over Lincoln last year and got them promoted as well as to Q/F of FA Cup: and this year they're 3rd so far in league two. So far his career (with his brother as assistant) has just been an upward progression of success and there must be teams looking at him to give him a chance at a higher level. He's not got enough league experience for us in our current position, but I don't think it will be long before some club take a chance on him.

Good shout

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:20 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:

Good shout

There's a good chance Lincoln will get promoted this season; why come to the Dons when there's every chance we'll get relegated?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:32 pm 

SwanDonOne wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Good shout

There's a good chance Lincoln will get promoted this season; why come to the Dons when there's every chance we'll get relegated?

Yip, valid point. As I mentioned 2 or 3 times in the post, I wasn't necessarily meaning him for us, just pointing out on the subjects of good lower league managers that he deserves a chance higher up than the bottom division. But, like you say, he'd probably prefer to see out the season at Lincoln rather than move to a league one relegation battle.
That said, we're still not yet in the relegation zone even after this terrible run, and so a good manager coming in should back himself to keep us up this season rather than thinking "there's every chance we'll be relegated."

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2017 11:55 am 

Lewie, heart says yes, willy says no.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 45 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next