THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 9:46 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Westcroftdon wrote:
I'd personally get Simon Grayson in if he was available.

He has a great track record of getting teams out of this division.

Grayson is available isn't he, after being sacked by Sunderland? However I'd be amazed if he chose to join us. He does have a great record at this level but that's helped by the fact that the teams he chooses to manage at this level were underachieving being in league one at that time: Blackpool (before their troubles), Leeds, Huddersfield and Preston, were all teams expecting to be in the championship at least at the time he was with them, and had a championship budget. After he got them promoted, he has usually struggled and been sacked when his teams in a league where they have no financial advantage. I don't think he'll drop down to a league one survival battle at a club with an average league one budget. Especially as all his managerial career so far has been spent in the North. It's unlikely he'll move South for the first time for us in our current situation.
That said, if we could get him, then I agree he could be a good appointment.

As a Sunderland fan, if people are bemoaning RN's style of football - Grayson might just kill you all off with boredom. I know Sunderland is a car crash of a club, but he was abysmal.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:00 am 

Just a thought, maybe we can save a bit of money, we don't sack Neilson, but we make Lewie the Director of Football and Neilson will report to him. Neilson throws a strop, and walks away, we then get another Manager and make Lewie his assistant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 10:45 am 

Whoever we appoint next will be a gamble but I want to enjoy what I see which is why Rubio looks appealing his team's certainly attack!

If you want a reason not to appoint Lewie he thinks he is the best left back at the club so clearly can't just a player :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 11:00 am 

Dan Micciche has parted company with the FA.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 12:23 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
Whoever we appoint next will be a gamble but I want to enjoy what I see which is why Rubio looks appealing his team's certainly attack!

If you want a reason not to appoint Lewie he thinks he is the best left back at the club so clearly can't just a player :mrgreen:

It doesn't look like they know how to defend either.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 5:16 pm 

Barmy suggestion if ever there was one. Even having him play is questionable let alone putting the long term future of our club in his inexperienced hands.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:19 pm 

MKAylesburyDon wrote:
All appointments may be gambles, but some gambles are bigger than others. There's no comparison between a tried and trusted manager, eg Simon Grayson, to a person with no senior management experience like Edu Rubio. He is a huge gamble. He is a good youth manager, and may prove a good senior manager; but there's a world of difference between a youth role and being first team manager: there's far more pressure as the results really matter at senior level, you make signings from around the country / world, juggle more games and competitions with a bigger squad to keep happy with the amount of games they're all getting, etc; have to deal with egos and agents; also deal with the fans and media. And the list goes on. It's a completely different job and success at youth level is no proof that a person will make a good manager. I really think in our position we can't take another gamble on a "young, ambitious guy." We need someone with proven competency at this level.

Ah, some common sense. Thank you Bertie.

A bloke I played cricket with, he used to work at a brickworks somewhere near Leighton. Very nice bricks. Strong, attractive-looking, the right dimensions. But could he build a house? Could he f*ck. He’d never done brick-laying. Or the glazing, tiling and gas fitting that went with it for that matter.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:52 pm 

This isn't a time to be mucking about speculating on who might be a good manager. I have faith that ed rubio will be a great coach/manager one day but that ship has sailed for me right now. Had we been 11th in the table, going nowhere and the reason for neilsons departure was squad/fan harmony then id say give ed the back end of the season to coach these players the mk way, the way they were expecting to play when mk dons came calling and the reputation we had as an attacking passing side and then see how he takes to the job and whether hes the right fit to lead us into next season. However we are bang in trouble. The enormity of the challenge is greater than that karl robinsons successor faced to keep us up.

I would be banging on former dons doors for a favour. Id plead with RDM to come and lead the ship and I would beg dan mcciche to come in and coach the players alongside him and get them playing the dons way. RDM has been in this position before and hit the ground running taking over a club in a fall from grace mid season and dan mm is an exceptional coach. I would see if they would consider working together for thevremainder of the season and agree to talk in the summer about where they see themselves going from there and whether theyd be the right fit or there was an interest in a role at the club longer term. Dan m especially because he is an exceptional talent.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:59 pm 

BristolDon wrote:
Sausage wrote:
What exactly is it that has demonstrated Lewington’s ability to manage a League One club?

This.
Towcestrian wrote:
Love how Rubio is the saviour based on a few interviews and a coaching course in Spain. :lol:

And this.

We can't keep sacking a manager every 12 months so if we do sack Neilson (and I have no issue with that), we have to get this next appointment right. It's no time for someone with no managerial experience. The fact that no-one on here is coming up with an experienced, successful lower league manager who traditionally plays the MK way is a worry, given that that's what most of us want.
Just who is out there for PW to appoint if/when Neilson goes? I genuinely don't know, and no-one on here seems to either. That's another huge dilemma for PW. Not just the sacking, but the hiring.

Far too sensible. Hush now

:lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:28 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Dan Micciche has parted company with the FA.

Shame. He was instrumental in giving our youth set-up the identity it has, and iirc had some out-there ideas at the time that have now to come common place at many other academies. I hope he doesn't become our manager, purely because I don't want him to stop working at youth level

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 51 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next