THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:36 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 49  Next
 Post subject: Re: Swansea in for Russ
PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:13 am 

I don't think Russ will leave. As some have said on here his family is settled in Brighton, and Brighton to Swansea is an even bigger slog than it is to Milton Keynes. Also, looking at it purely objectively, Russ doesn't necessarily need the money by jumping asap to a Championship or PL job. He would've earned a fair bit whilst playing and I know he has a side business or two he's a co owner of. He's building a huge reputation here and that will only grow over the next season. Why risk it by going to a mess like Swansea where it could all fail and then you risk becoming a merry-go-round manager?

I honestly think he wants to build something here. He's been instrumental in changing the dynamic of the club (for example the modernisation of changing Cullen's role to Sweeting's role), and he's building a squad that he believes can compete for promotion; why would you throw that away to go to a car crash like Swansea (who are about to lose their captain as well...)

The only team I can see potentially convincing Russ to leave is Norwich (which would be understandable), but Farke has just signed a new long term deal. I honestly can't see Russ going anywhere this summer. I remember Alan Nixon saying on Twitter a couple of months ago that bookies odds on 'next manager' is not an indicator as to who is the true frontrunner and they shouldn't be focussed on at all.

Also, I've seen on Twitter some of our fans yet again return to the hobby of trying to cause panic amongst the fanbase by saying he's off at 9am today etc. It's staggering how grown adults genuinely think this is a funny hobby. It wasn't funny when they tried to do it with Healey to Rotherham, and it's not funny now. It's genuinely sad that this is exciting for them.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 8:27 am 

The other club I would add to Norwich is Brighton. They play the right way, and seem a well run club. Like Norwich, they aren't guaranteed Prem status, so Russ could go to rebuild after a relegation. But that won't happen this summer.

And with regards your last paragraph, sadly it's true. Have to say the more I engage with social media, the more depressing it is. Filled with people saying anything to get attention, to justify their miserable little existence...

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:07 am 

Morris is 1/1 on Skybet. My betting knowledge isn't great but 1/1 surely means they know something?

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:13 am 

The odds fluctuate really quickly, they're designed to tempt you in. If I whacked a tenner on Russ now his odds would jump

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:16 am 

Betting is a mug's game, just ask my Willy. He was sneaking off to the local turf accountant every lunch-time. Check my underpants and he was nowhere to be seen. Poor bugger, he lost his shirt and spent 6 months in rehab, and as we know there's no available pussy in there.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 9:22 am 

Rookie wrote:
The odds fluctuate really quickly, they're designed to tempt you in. If I whacked a tenner on Russ now his odds would jump

Yep, and every time that Stuart James gives another random hint the odds go nuts again.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:02 am 

The thing that is concerning me though, is the lack of Russ press conferences. Im sure there would normally be one Monday / Tuesday

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:05 am 

Rookie wrote:
The thing that is concerning me though, is the lack of Russ press conferences. Im sure there would normally be one Monday / Tuesday

Think during pre-season they have all been towards the end of the week.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 10:36 am 

I think the Twitter sm team posting an hour ago regarding Russ being excited fans being back was their way of saying simmer down while we assemble content worth posting. I don't think there's any substance in this rumour. I'm sure all our concerns will be put to bed when Russ leads us out Vs spurs tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 27, 2021 11:05 am 

John Eustace didn't want the job, which speaks volumes. If a assistant at a Championship club turned it down after being interviewed, doubt if manager at L.1 club would be keen. Would think that QPR are a bit like us, dark horses for the play-offs, but by no means one of the favourites for promotion. Doubt if QPR are throwing money around to keep him either.

Judging by the size of Swansea's squad and the transfer activity, think they'll be joining Derby around the bottom of the table.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 482 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 49  Next