THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:56 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 97  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:24 pm 

Filthier wrote:
I mean, at the end of the day all of these moves are fine if we make progress next season. At the moment it seems like lots of teams are stronger than last season already and Wigan who weren't even in the mix last season will be well up there. Fraser going to Ipswich strengthens them and they've just signed the oinkmaster general (Joe Pigott).

Looking at the squad now, minus Fraser, we're weaker than last season. Ofcourse we'll sign more players but these next few signings need to be good if we're to strengthen ourselves. We can't afford to lose any other big players this window (Kasumu, Darling, O'Riley in particular).

I'd really like us to make a statement signing on a permanent deal - Grigg, Eisa etc

I’d really like Surman to resign now. I wasn’t that bothered before but I think we are looking light in the midfield and Sur resigning would bring both stability (as he knows the system and players) and an experienced head to our very young midfield.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:31 pm 

Disappointed like everyone with this, but felt it was inevitable. It was clear we were a stepping stone in his career, but I must admit I wasn't expecting Ipswich to be his next venture. I think it's clear with their owners and the signings they have made that they have a fair amount of clout to play with and money talks.

I think if we can invest well this summer (Presuming we still have Healey money as well) with 2/3 quality signings for this level then I am sure this will all be a distant memory. Hopefully then with enough to put in the business coffers.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:42 pm 

Not too bothered about Fraser leaving. Fantastic player at the start of the season but dipped a fair amount after January.

I also got the feeling he didn’t really want to be here. Keeps going on about these aspirations of playing at a higher level since leaving Burton but once again finds himself at a League 1 team. Odd.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:44 pm 

Same thing every single year. Sell off all the best assets. Did it last year, doing it again this.

I genuinely couldn't care less. £230 for a season ticket is fuck all. I've spent more on a 12" single this year, but it is a fucking nuisance that we, as a club, never seem to learn. But at the end of the day, it is what it is.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:44 pm 

Is this as a result of what happened earlier,and maybe russ decided he was not right for the team ,and so wasn't fussed about him leaving ?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:52 pm 

Gers wrote:
Same thing every single year. Sell off all the best assets. Did it last year, doing it again this.

I genuinely couldn't care less. £230 for a season ticket is fuck all. I've spent more on a 12" single this year, but it is a fucking nuisance that we, as a club, never seem to learn. But at the end of the day, it is what it is.

Fraser was always going to leave if we didn’t get promoted. Same as Jerome.

Surman and McEachran looking to go the same way as well.

This is the problem with signing so many “temporary players”. A lot jumping ship as we failed to really deliver and make the most of what was a strong team last season.

Last edited by East Wing Don on Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:54 pm 

Gers wrote:

Yet in the past few years, with the exception of maybe Healey, we have easily replaced them with as good if not better players, all whilst making a nice profit and reducing the wage bill. We've also arguably improved over the past 3 seasons, recovering from a period in which we didn't sell many of our best assets, held onto them for potentially too long and then lost them for absolutely nothing.

EDIT: I'd also argue this doesn't happen 'every single year', this has only really been the case in the past two seasons. Losing players is inevitable but we've done a heck of a job over the years keeping our main assets longer than most would in our division.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:16 pm 
This is why next season simply HAS to be a serious push for the playoffs or higher.

We're attracting players, but they don't want to hang around when they see we're mid-table. At some point our luck will run out, there are only so many quality players within our budget at this level - and many get picked up by the bigger clubs in this league.

Right now, we're 2 weeks away from our first competitive game and we still seem miles off squad wise.

Priority now has to be another striker with experience behind him and a good record (Jerome, Grigg-esque). Grigg or Eisa seem the obvious ones, and we have a transfer fee for Fraser we can use towards them.

Also need to be bringing in players with more experience further back - Surman and McEachran brought a lot to the table and had several hundred games worth of experience at a higher level. We need to bring some of that back as Ethan Robson ain't the answer.

No more Aden Baldwins please - we need proven players. If we're so good at replacing what we've lost then now is the time to show it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:18 pm 

This ‘good business’ stuff is a bit strange. Seems like we are selling to stay financially viable rather than anything else. Good teams are adding quality whilst we are selling quality. What is the ambition of the club when you have a player saying he wants to play Championship football and then signs for a League1 side, citing their ambition to get to the Championship? These players leaving clearly do not see the club moving up the leagues.

I’m a bit bored of this cycle we are in and for all the decent bits of business we seem to doing out the door, we aren’t getting many decent ones back in the door.

I think we are in a poor position at the minute. We have lost our experience all over except Lewie, we have a very youthful side and when you take out the goals or Jerome and Fraser, it’s not looking too promising.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:20 pm 

I think we're being a bit harsh and gung-ho here.

I understand the frustration, absolutely. But he's already been released. Resign a Mceachran (just an example, hundreds of other options) and we're just as solid in terms of midfield starting places. Minus the injury prone Thompson, rarely seen Sorensen and Houghton who struggled as well at times. There's plenty of time to get these players in so I won't kick and scream yet.

I genuinely trust this management. Don't seem much fased about losing a key player, and having listened to their interviews regarding recruitment and having already got options for every eventuality I'm absolutely cool with it. Gone are the days of Sam Baldock leaving and Charlie MacDonald coming in on a quick rebound style signings. Let's have faith we've got aces up our sleeve.

KEMP!!!!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 56, 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62 ... 97  Next