THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 1:42 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 97  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:09 pm 

ChaChaDon wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
This ‘good business’ stuff is a bit strange. Seems like we are selling to stay financially viable rather than anything else. Good teams are adding quality whilst we are selling quality. What is the ambition of the club when you have a player saying he wants to play Championship football and then signs for a League1 side, citing their ambition to get to the Championship? These players leaving clearly do not see the club moving up the leagues.

I’m a bit bored of this cycle we are in and for all the decent bits of business we seem to doing out the door, we aren’t getting many decent ones back in the door.

I think we are in a poor position at the minute. We have lost our experience all over except Lewie, we have a very youthful side and when you take out the goals or Jerome and Fraser, it’s not looking too promising.

Yes we sell to stay financially viable. We do this so we don’t end up like Derby, Sheff Wed, Wigan and Bury (points deductions, administrations, liquidations and folding completely). The club revenue streams suffered this this year and we ran at a bigger loss than usual. The good business stuff isn’t strange it is a necessity.

Even before COVID, the club have always been tight with money. You can’t tell me that selling every decent player that walks through the door is good business. Fraser says in his own interview with Ipswich that he joined them to be successful and challenge at the top all season and to get into the Championship. Yet he has just left us, a club who say season in, season out that the Championship is the aim. Why? Because the players clearly do not see that ambition!

No you don’t want to be a Derby, Sheff Weds, Wigan or Bury. You want to be a Brentford, Bournemouth, Luton, Preston or Bristol City.

Brentford have sold a key player every season (including the likes of Watkins, benrahma, maupay) for the last 4 years. Reinvested and gone again. We are replicating that model. Bournemouth, Bristol City and Preston all have very rich owners and backers.

I understand the disappointment of losing a great player, but criticism of the clubs ambition after the last two seasons is undeserved. It was survival mode.

Think we will disagree here. We haven’t reinvested though have we?

Please see my above post. Reinvesting doesn't just mean spending on transfer fees when we sell somebody. The investment may have been directed to wages, bonuses, backroom staff, recruitment set ups, scouting networks, training facilities, sports science and so much more.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:20 pm 

Beat me to it.. we lost the likes of healey, Gilbey, Brittain, Keogh and recruited Fraser, O’Riley, Darling, Jules , Jerome among others and the Grigg and Laird loans. And we’ve already got twine in place and he always looked like he’d been signed as Frasers successor. So there is reinvestment . Doesn’t have to be a million pound signing to prove it.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:23 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
This ‘good business’ stuff is a bit strange. Seems like we are selling to stay financially viable rather than anything else. Good teams are adding quality whilst we are selling quality. What is the ambition of the club when you have a player saying he wants to play Championship football and then signs for a League1 side, citing their ambition to get to the Championship? These players leaving clearly do not see the club moving up the leagues.

I’m a bit bored of this cycle we are in and for all the decent bits of business we seem to doing out the door, we aren’t getting many decent ones back in the door.

I think we are in a poor position at the minute. We have lost our experience all over except Lewie, we have a very youthful side and when you take out the goals or Jerome and Fraser, it’s not looking too promising.

Yes we sell to stay financially viable. We do this so we don’t end up like Derby, Sheff Wed, Wigan and Bury (points deductions, administrations, liquidations and folding completely). The club revenue streams suffered this this year and we ran at a bigger loss than usual. The good business stuff isn’t strange it is a necessity.

Even before COVID, the club have always been tight with money. You can’t tell me that selling every decent player that walks through the door is good business. Fraser says in his own interview with Ipswich that he joined them to be successful and challenge at the top all season and to get into the Championship. Yet he has just left us, a club who say season in, season out that the Championship is the aim. Why? Because the players clearly do not see that ambition!

No you don’t want to be a Derby, Sheff Weds, Wigan or Bury. You want to be a Brentford, Bournemouth, Luton, Preston or Bristol City.

Brentford have sold a key player every season (including the likes of Watkins, benrahma, maupay) for the last 4 years. Reinvested and gone again. We are replicating that model. Bournemouth, Bristol City and Preston all have very rich owners and backers.

I understand the disappointment of losing a great player, but criticism of the clubs ambition after the last two seasons is undeserved. It was survival mode.

Think we will disagree here. We haven’t reinvested though have we?

Please see my above post. Reinvesting doesn't just mean spending on transfer fees when we sell somebody. The investment may have been directed to wages, bonuses, backroom staff, recruitment set ups, scouting networks, training facilities, sports science and so much more.

Yeap Conerdon did an excellent job summarising the reinvestment.

Even when looking at Brentford, they spent around£ 9million on Toney, which was considerably less than the £34 million they sold Watkins for. It’s the nature of the game for most clubs.

I’ll leave it there though as I realising I’m derailing the thread.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:30 pm 
Ormeau wrote:
I’ll leave it there though as I realising I’m derailing the thread.

Don't worry about that, this thread has been on and off the rails more times than Network Rail's maintenance teams

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:35 pm 

ChaChaDon wrote:
Alby39 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
This ‘good business’ stuff is a bit strange. Seems like we are selling to stay financially viable rather than anything else.

Whats wrong with that? :lol:

Other team’s are pushing and putting money back into their team, we don’t seem to. We must have received over a £1-1.5mil in transfer money over the past three windows and what have we spent? Running a successful business yeah, but getting out of L1 and staying out can’t be a fluke.

Fucking right. We should have the ambition of Bury at least.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:02 pm 

Gonna throw a hat in the ring ... Joe Powell.

Scored 9 and assisted 7 from attacking midfield last season. 22 years old and only 12 months left to run on his Burton contract.

Won league one player of the month in April.

Who knows. Clutching at straws.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 12:04 am 

Last summer I struggled - seeing the likes of Walsh, Nombe, Brittain, Gilbey and Healey leaving and I was really worried and frustrated.

This summer I don't feel anything like that. Yes we've lost some players but they don't feel like such losses - Jerome and Fraser both dropped off after January anyway and Sorinola is far from irreplaceable. McEachran is perhaps the one I think we'll miss most.

Perhaps it would feel like more of a loss if I'd been in the ground all season and connected with these players more.

But this recruitment and management set-up has done enough over the past 12-18 months to earn some patience and faith in my opinion. No need to panic. Yes, the squad is far from complete but it will come good. Any gaps we think we can see - Martin will see them too, I have no doubt. And we'll reinvest what we have to as well. Winkie will know that failing to do that will risk losing Martin too.

Some people seem to have short memories - its not been long since we were scrapping against relegation, being managed by complete plums, and signing some utter crap (Bowery, Ngombo, Banks-Landell...). Its much more positive now and I am excited to see who we get in next.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:46 am 

Final post from me on this.

He, Fraser, stated that he went to Ipswich as they have ambitions of Championship football. What does that say about us!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 5:50 am 

Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
Last summer I struggled - seeing the likes of Walsh, Nombe, Brittain, Gilbey and Healey leaving and I was really worried and frustrated.

This summer I don't feel anything like that. Yes we've lost some players but they don't feel like such losses - Jerome and Fraser both dropped off after January anyway and Sorinola is far from irreplaceable. McEachran is perhaps the one I think we'll miss most.

Perhaps it would feel like more of a loss if I'd been in the ground all season and connected with these players more.

But this recruitment and management set-up has done enough over the past 12-18 months to earn some patience and faith in my opinion. No need to panic. Yes, the squad is far from complete but it will come good. Any gaps we think we can see - Martin will see them too, I have no doubt. And we'll reinvest what we have to as well. Winkie will know that failing to do that will risk losing Martin too.

Some people seem to have short memories - its not been long since we were scrapping against relegation, being managed by complete plums, and signing some utter crap (Bowery, Ngombo, Banks-Landell...). Its much more positive now and I am excited to see who we get in next.

I agree. This season ia seems more about consolidation. It's the sign of times that the club is having to cut it's cloth accordingly, as well as being smarter in it's dealings and wage structure.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2021 6:08 am 

Gers wrote:
Final post from me on this.

He, Fraser, stated that he went to Ipswich as they have ambitions of Championship football. What does that say about us!

Typical new signing quote

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64 ... 97  Next