THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:55 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 97  Next
PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:22 pm 

ChaChaDon wrote:
This ‘good business’ stuff is a bit strange. Seems like we are selling to stay financially viable rather than anything else.

Whats wrong with that? :lol:

Turn Stadium MK WHITE In The Playoffs

https://donsaction.co.uk/

GET THIS SEASONS HOME SHIRT FOR £16.50 ↓↓↓
https://shop.mkdons.co.uk/collections/23-24-home-kit

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:27 pm 

Alby39 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
This ‘good business’ stuff is a bit strange. Seems like we are selling to stay financially viable rather than anything else.

Whats wrong with that? :lol:

Other team’s are pushing and putting money back into their team, we don’t seem to. We must have received over a £1-1.5mil in transfer money over the past three windows and what have we spent? Running a successful business yeah, but getting out of L1 and staying out can’t be a fluke.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:31 pm 

ChaChaDon wrote:
This ‘good business’ stuff is a bit strange. Seems like we are selling to stay financially viable rather than anything else. Good teams are adding quality whilst we are selling quality. What is the ambition of the club when you have a player saying he wants to play Championship football and then signs for a League1 side, citing their ambition to get to the Championship? These players leaving clearly do not see the club moving up the leagues.

I’m a bit bored of this cycle we are in and for all the decent bits of business we seem to doing out the door, we aren’t getting many decent ones back in the door.

I think we are in a poor position at the minute. We have lost our experience all over except Lewie, we have a very youthful side and when you take out the goals or Jerome and Fraser, it’s not looking too promising.

Yes we sell to stay financially viable. We do this so we don’t end up like Derby, Sheff Wed, Wigan and Bury (points deductions, administrations, liquidations and folding completely). The club revenue streams suffered this this year and we ran at a bigger loss than usual. The good business stuff isn’t strange it is a necessity.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:34 pm 

ChaChaDon wrote:
I’m a bit bored of this cycle we are in and for all the decent bits of business we seem to doing out the door, we aren’t getting many decent ones back in the door.

We aren't getting any decent ones in the door? If you mean this summer then maybe recruitment hasn't been quite exciting however this 'cycle we are in' has brought some bloody decent signings in

Scott Twine, a target of Ipswich's coming in on a free transfer to replace Scott Fraser, who we sold to them for a 6 figure free having signed him on a free and despite only having 6 months left on his deal.
Scott Fraser, who we signed on a free, to replace Alex Gilbey who we sold for 6 figures.
Harry Darling, one of the most exciting centre backs I've seen in our shirt replace Richard Keogh, a 35 year old mistake prone centre back who just recovered from a long injury who we signed on a free and sold for a 6 figure fee 6 months later. Smaller transfer fee for Darling, lower wages, significant sell on potential.
Zak Jules an improvement on Cargill.
Making the O'Hora deal permanent for a nominal fee, whilst selling George Williams for an undisclosed free despite 6 months left on his deal. Another decent one.
McGrandles out, replace with any one of Surman, McEachran or O'Riley. Many decent ones.
Daniel Harvie was an improvement on Dickenson.
Getting an undisclosed fee for Sam Nombe, which helps pay the wages for Max Watters.

Let's not forget getting some of the players off the books such as Poole and Bowery which may have helped us loan in Laird and Morris

Let's also not forget having lost Aneke on a free (maybe we should have sold him sooner???), we brought in Healey for a small 6 figure fee, sold him for 7. The money from that deal probably contributed to bringing in Jerome for a year, paying for Griggs wages and signing Charlie Brown.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:37 pm 
ChaChaDon wrote:
I think we are in a poor position at the minute. We have lost our experience all over except Lewie, we have a very youthful side and when you take out the goals or Jerome and Fraser, it’s not looking too promising.

We should all at least be optimistic that the recruitment will sort itself out over the rest of the window (hopefully most of the key stuff done before the season starts), purely because they've done well in previous windows.

We have lost a lot of experience though - Surman, McEachran, Fraser, Jerome, Grigg have 1500+ games between them. Our squad depth is poor.

I'll be honest - I'm losing my excitement for this squad with so many important players leaving. Yes we've brought in some exciting additions - Twine, Watters and Josh Martin primarily - but I would have hoped we'd have kept McEachran and/or Surman and at least one of Sorinola, Fraser, Jerome and Grigg. Now we have none of them.

The last 3 windows have been brilliant - but we don't want to undo so much of that to the point where next season becomes another rebuild. Russ has said before that last season was a transitional season, so there's a lot more riding on 21/22.

Last edited by Filthier on Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:39 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
This ‘good business’ stuff is a bit strange. Seems like we are selling to stay financially viable rather than anything else. Good teams are adding quality whilst we are selling quality. What is the ambition of the club when you have a player saying he wants to play Championship football and then signs for a League1 side, citing their ambition to get to the Championship? These players leaving clearly do not see the club moving up the leagues.

Yes we sell to stay financially viable. We do this so we don’t end up like Derby, Sheff Wed, Wigan and Bury (points deductions, administrations, liquidations and folding completely). The club revenue streams suffered this this year and we ran at a bigger loss than usual. The good business stuff isn’t strange it is a necessity.

Even before COVID, the club have always been tight with money. You can’t tell me that selling every decent player that walks through the door is good business. Fraser says in his own interview with Ipswich that he joined them to be successful and challenge at the top all season and to get into the Championship. Yet he has just left us, a club who say season in, season out that the Championship is the aim. Why? Because the players clearly do not see that ambition!

No you don’t want to be a Derby, Sheff Weds, Wigan or Bury. You want to be a Brentford, Bournemouth, Luton, Preston or Bristol City.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:40 pm 

cornerdon26 wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:

We aren't getting any decent ones in the door? If you mean this summer then maybe recruitment hasn't been quite exciting however this 'cycle we are in' has brought some bloody decent signings in

Scott Twine, a target of Ipswich's coming in on a free transfer to replace Scott Fraser, who we sold to them for a 6 figure free having signed him on a free and despite only having 6 months left on his deal.
Scott Fraser, who we signed on a free, to replace Alex Gilbey who we sold for 6 figures.
Harry Darling, one of the most exciting centre backs I've seen in our shirt replace Richard Keogh, a 35 year old mistake prone centre back who just recovered from a long injury who we signed on a free and sold for a 6 figure fee 6 months later. Smaller transfer fee for Darling, lower wages, significant sell on potential.
Zak Jules an improvement on Cargill.
Making the O'Hora deal permanent for a nominal fee, whilst selling George Williams for an undisclosed free despite 6 months left on his deal. Another decent one.
McGrandles out, replace with any one of Surman, McEachran or O'Riley. Many decent ones.
Daniel Harvie was an improvement on Dickenson.
Getting an undisclosed fee for Sam Nombe, which helps pay the wages for Max Watters.

Let's not forget getting some of the players off the books such as Poole and Bowery which may have helped us loan in Laird and Morris

Let's also not forget having lost Aneke on a free (maybe we should have sold him sooner???), we brought in Healey for a small 6 figure fee, sold him for 7. The money from that deal probably contributed to bringing in Jerome for a year, paying for Griggs wages and signing Charlie Brown.

Sorry, probably phrased it massively wrong. You want players in that see the ambition and stay. Fair thanks play for taking the time to write this.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:49 pm 

Great move for us. Sold a player who didn't fit with the squad mentality and process by not being hungry to be here and throwing the odd tantrum and drop in performance levels who only scored 5 goals from open play? Through the door we already have a younger, hungrier player who will have no trouble matching that open play output.

Good deal for us.

Now is not the time to panic. Keep the morale up, the rest will take care of itself by our proven management/recruitment team.

They wouldn't have sold him unless they were confident we had a replacement in place and that it would benefit the team.

And so it begins, twine is in, he will be developed, sold and onto the next. All the time building our finances, club resources/facilities and enhancing our reputation as a club to nurture and propel talent.

It's ok. Don't judge us now, judge us when the window slams shut.

tRUSSt the process!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 8:52 pm 

ChaChaDon wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:

Even before COVID, the club have always been tight with money. You can’t tell me that selling every decent player that walks through the door is good business. Fraser says in his own interview with Ipswich that he joined them to be successful and challenge at the top all season and to get into the Championship. Yet he has just left us, a club who say season in, season out that the Championship is the aim. Why? Because the players clearly do not see that ambition!

No you don’t want to be a Derby, Sheff Weds, Wigan or Bury. You want to be a Brentford, Bournemouth, Luton, Preston or Bristol City.

Brentford have sold a key player every season (including the likes of Watkins, benrahma, maupay) for the last 4 years. Reinvested and gone again. We are replicating that model. Bournemouth, Bristol City and Preston all have very rich owners and backers.

I understand the disappointment of losing a great player, but criticism of the clubs ambition after the last two seasons is undeserved. It was survival mode.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2021 9:06 pm 

Ormeau wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:
Ormeau wrote:
ChaChaDon wrote:

Brentford have sold a key player every season (including the likes of Watkins, benrahma, maupay) for the last 4 years. Reinvested and gone again. We are replicating that model. Bournemouth, Bristol City and Preston all have very rich owners and backers.

I understand the disappointment of losing a great player, but criticism of the clubs ambition after the last two seasons is undeserved. It was survival mode.

Think we will disagree here. We haven’t reinvested though have we?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 962 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 57, 58, 59, 60, 61, 62, 63 ... 97  Next