THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 8:33 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Reality Check
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:26 pm 

Brackley Town are in the play-offs in the National League North, go up and they will be 1 league below MK Dons.

Post subject: Re: Reality Check
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:27 pm 

Let's franchise them. They'll be in the Northern Prem in no time

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:41 pm 

Reality Check - In 2004 when the Dons started playing in Milton Keynes, Portsmouth, Charlton & Bolton were in the prem. Huddersfield & Bournemouth were in league 1.

Football is full of ups and downs.

We've been relegated 2 seasons in 3. Yes its not great but its really not the end of the world and the great reckoning that some people seem to think.

We will bounce back. And I hate to say it but I doubt this is the last ever relegation that we will experience as Dons fans. I just hope there will be a few promotions between now and then. Just like our stay in the championship wasn't permanent neither will our stay in league 2.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 1:58 pm 

Best reality check of all concerns Accrington, whom my mum supported.

At one stage they had gone bankrupt and destined never to be heard of again, and were the butt of many a football joke. I even remember a TV advert around 1985 for milk, where someone says "Accrington Stanley ? Who are they ?"

Yet now higher in the football pyramid than us. Seriously, PW could do no worse than to learn about their model / approach etc of their Chairman and club.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 2:22 pm 

Goaldon balls wrote:
Reality Check - In 2004 when the Dons started playing in Milton Keynes, Portsmouth, Charlton & Bolton were in the prem. Huddersfield & Bournemouth were in league 1.

We've been relegated 2 seasons in 3. Yes its not great but its really not the end of the world and the great reckoning that some people seem to think.

We will bounce back. And I hate to say it but I doubt this is the last ever relegation that we will experience as Dons fans. I just hope there will be a few promotions between now and then. Just like our stay in the championship wasn't permanent neither will our stay in league 2.

Peals before swine I fear. :P

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:39 pm 

Galverion wrote:

At one stage they had gone bankrupt and destined never to be heard of again, and were the butt of many a football joke. I even remember a TV advert around 1985 for milk, where someone says "Accrington Stanley ? Who are they ?"

Yet now higher in the football pyramid than us. Seriously, PW could do no worse than to learn about their model / approach etc of their Chairman and club.

Their model is to not drink lots of milk so we shouldn't copy them (Ian Rush told me so).

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 3:50 pm 

Don Direction wrote:
Galverion wrote:

Their model is to not drink lots of milk so we shouldn't copy them (Ian Rush told me so).

And to bribe the players with Big Macs.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 4:31 pm 

Reality check

AFC Wimbledon were a very minor non league club when we came into existence and they could be in the league above us next season

Life’s full of ups and down

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2018 6:30 pm 

Having watched Brackley on several occasions this season, all I can say is that they are a very good team, 3rd in the league, FA Trophy finalists, beat Gillingham in last seasons FA cup, a team on the rise, I wouldn’t be surprised if they do reach league 2 at some point

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2018 11:16 am 

Location: .... In SG19 ..... APL Champion 2017/18 Betting Champion 2019/20 Power of 3 Champion 2017/18 + 19/20
keyser soze wrote:
Goaldon balls wrote:

Peals before swine I fear. :P
That chimes with me.

Several clubs we've played against in League 1 over the years, are now in the Premiership, while others are in non-league or out of business...

Last time we were relegated to League 2, we enjoyed 50% of the best seasons in our history, thanks to some good recruitment & experienced/inspiring management.
Looking forward to a quick return to League 1, with some good recruitment & experienced/inspiring management making League 2 enjoyable, like last time.

21/22 26 11 _9 89 LM 3rd

05/06 12 14 20 50 DW 22nd R
22/23 11 12 23 45 lm/MJ 21st R
17/18 11 12 23 45 rn/DM 23rd R
15/16 _9 12 25 39 KR 23rd R

LS: A rocky start, that's all it is.