THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 10:33 am

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:11 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
I'm sure serious questions will be asked, but not about the suitability of the chairman.

Why not? He has overall control of the club and major decision making.

People are comfortable with him as he is a really nice guy, but he has shown his naivety and lack of experience in recent seasons - very poor decision making during the Championship season, and not sacking Karl following relegation.

I get the feeling he is just trying to save face with Neilson, by not sacking him a year after hiring him. PW effectively put his reputation on the line with bringing Neilson to the club, saying that he didn't want to be a hiring and firing chairman, and that Neilson was the right man for the club/suited our philosophy - yet he's already been proven wrong.

PW has shown complete inconsistency judgement. Sacking Karl for being 19th at an earlier part of the season, but keeping with a less experienced manager when we are 20th later on in the season and statistically having our worst ever season.

If we stay in this position or get relegated, then I repeat, questions would need to be asked of Pete's suitability regardless of how nice a guy he is. Reckless and risky decisions to save his reputation that don't pay off.

I guarantee, when Pete does sack Neilson - he will again say he should have sacked him earlier (like he did with Karl).

He sacked Robbo and you agreed with him and he got a manager from the Scottish Premiership with a 58% win ratio. I didn't see you or anyone else complaining. You also congratulated him on how he responded to Deangate. Just because a club goes through a bad time doesn't mean you have call for the Chairman to go.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:26 pm 
ReturnofMoo wrote:
He sacked Robbo and you agreed with him and he got a manager from the Scottish Premiership with a 58% win ratio. I didn't see you or anyone else complaining. You also congratulated him on how he responded to Deangate.

Yes he sacked Robbo, but far too late. This is my point, the risks they take haven't paid off. The failure is not making the right decisions at the right time. Hiring Robbie was a good decision at the time, but the decision not to sack him by now is a complete failure.

Re Lewie - more the fact he put out a 20+ minute video to respond - not the actual decision making. In hindsight, the whole thing was handled badly by him and the club.

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Just because a club goes through a bad time doesn't mean you have call for the Chairman to go.

Ofcourse it might mean that. When else would you suggest - when we're going through a good spell? We've been on a consistent downward spiral since August 2015.

Just a few of the poor decisions - all of which Pete has since admitted were mistakes:

- Sanctioning risky transfers with a high financial cost (Aguza and Benavente, rumoured to have cost £1m+ including all associated fees)
- Not signing Will Grigg despite him being available to us, a player who was a proven success for us and a key part of our 2014/15 squad.
- Not replacing the key components of our 2014/15 promotion winning squad with comparable quality so we had a good chance to succeed from the outset in the Championship (none of our signings were anywhere near the quality of Afobe, Grigg, Dele, Lewis Baker)
- Sanctioning poorly thought out transfers, which on the face of them were clearly not good enough players or were carrying injuries: Matt Upson, Jennings, Church, Maynard, Benavente, Aguza. Pretty much all of them barring Cropper and Murphy.
- Offering Robinson an enhanced January window budget to keep us in the Championship, but after Karl refused it, not pressing/pushing Karl to utilise it and making an executive decision on that basis (poor from both Karl and PW)
- Not sacking Robinson despite being relegated after a very poor season
- Waiting until October to sack Robinson despite yet another poor summer window and no positive signs early in the season, and despite reservations about not sacking him in the summer

Since then..(yet to admit these mistakes but no doubt he will):
- Not sacking Neilson for being in 20th place in December, despite sacking Karl for being in 19th earlier in the season
- Will probably admit later down the line post-Neilson that his and the club's handling of Lewie was wrong.

Just saying - it's been a downward spiral and a lot of it could have been prevented with the right decision making.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:31 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:
He sacked Robbo and you agreed with him and he got a manager from the Scottish Premiership with a 58% win ratio. I didn't see you or anyone else complaining. You also congratulated him on how he responded to Deangate.

Yes he sacked Robbo, but far too late. This is my point, the risks they take haven't paid off. The failure is not making the right decisions at the right time. Hiring Robbie was a good decision at the time, but the decision not to sack him by now is a complete failure.

Re Lewie - more the fact he put out a 20+ minute video to respond - not the actual decision making. In hindsight, the whole thing was handled badly by him and the club.

ReturnofMoo wrote:
Just because a club goes through a bad time doesn't mean you have call for the Chairman to go.

Ofcourse it might mean that. When else would you suggest - when we're going through a good spell? We've been on a consistent downward spiral since August 2015.

Just a few of the poor decisions - all of which Pete has since admitted were mistakes:

- Sanctioning risky transfers with a high financial cost (Aguza and Benavente, rumoured to have cost £1m+ including all associated fees)
- Not signing Will Grigg despite him being available to us, a player who was a proven success for us and a key part of our 2014/15 squad.
- Not replacing the key components of our 2014/15 promotion winning squad with comparable quality so we had a good chance to succeed from the outset in the Championship (none of our signings were anywhere near the quality of Afobe, Grigg, Dele, Lewis Baker)
- Sanctioning poorly thought out transfers, which on the face of them were clearly not good enough players or were carrying injuries: Matt Upson, Jennings, Church, Maynard, Benavente, Aguza. Pretty much all of them barring Cropper and Murphy.
- Offering Robinson an enhanced January window budget to keep us in the Championship, but after Karl refused it, not pressing/pushing Karl to utilise it and making an executive decision on that basis (poor from both Karl and PW)
- Not sacking Robinson despite being relegated after a very poor season
- Waiting until October to sack Robinson despite yet another poor summer window and no positive signs early in the season, and despite reservations about not sacking him in the summer

Since then..(yet to admit these mistakes but no doubt he will):
- Not sacking Neilson for being in 20th place in December, despite sacking Karl for being in 19th earlier in the season
- Will probably admit later down the line post-Neilson that his and the club's handling of Lewie was wrong.

Just saying - it's been a downward spiral and a lot of it could have been prevented with the right decision making.

So basically you would call for the removal of the Chairman for bad transfers even though they aren't his or because he hasn't sacked the manager even though this should be the last resort and when their are compensation issues. I would call for the removal of the chairman because of malpractice, failure to invest in the club or other serious negligence or matter.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:35 pm 

I don't understand the concept of removing the Chairman. It's not possible, it's his company. :?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:36 pm 
ReturnofMoo wrote:
So basically you would call for the removal of the Chairman for bad transfers even though they aren't his or because he hasn't sacked the manager even though this should be the last resort and when their are compensation issues. I would call for the removal of the chairman because of malpractice, failure to invest in the club or other serious negligence or matter.

Yes. Continuing poor performance and decision making - most of which he has admitted himself were mistakes.

If I was in charge of a company and had admitted to making mistakes through poor judgement, reluctance to make decisions and sanctioning risky financial moves, then I wouldn't be surprised to find myself moving on.

dons50 wrote:
I don't understand the concept of removing the Chairman. It's not possible, it's his company. :?

Vote of no confidence from the board?

Also, fan and stakeholder pressure. He can be as stubborn as he wants, but with most there is a breaking point.

Anyway - I'm getting way ahead of myself. I'm sure it won't (and hope it won't) come to that.

Pete is one of the nicest guys in football, and perhaps that is partly his downfall. I think he has staked a lot on Neilson and is hoping it pays off.

But if we are relegated, or hover around the relegation zone for the rest of the season, then that will be down to Neilson, and therefore Pete for sticking with him and questions will need to be asked after being on this downward spiral since 2015. This isn't a new thing.

Last edited by FilthyDon on Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:37 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

Yes. Continuing poor performance and decision making - most of which he has admitted himself were mistakes.

If I was in charge of a company and had admitted to making mistakes through poor judgement, reluctance to make decisions and sanctioning risky financial moves, then I wouldn't be surprised to find myself moving on.

Not if it was his own private company.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:38 pm 

dons50 wrote:

I suspect (stand to be corrected) that Filthy means ongoing fan protests, a la Oyston / Ashley, hoping to pressure the Chairman into selling.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:40 pm 

keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:

I suspect (stand to be corrected) that Filthy means ongoing fan protests, a la Oyston / Ashley, hoping to pressure the Chairman into selling.

To whom?

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:41 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:
ReturnofMoo wrote:

So you have you been in charge of a company? Please also note that Andrew Cullen is the Executive Director at MK Dons.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:45 pm 

dons50 wrote:
keyser soze wrote:
dons50 wrote:

To whom?

A buyer.

I understand you're playing Devil's Advocate but it's a daft question. If you put your house on the market, you don't usually know who is going to buy it, or when, or the exact price.

For PW, the key factor would be whether he'd sell the whole shooting match, or just the club. Just the club would be a mug's purchase imho.

Buy the way, I'm NOT supporting any call for Pete to go. He's made errors (who hasn't?) but the pros outweigh the cons, for me.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 141 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8 ... 15  Next