THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:37 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Worst to Best
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:12 pm 

A thought I had in a lecture today made me think of this, and I put out a tweet showing my thoughts. What would you think has been our worst ever manager, to our best.
I included Robbie in the tweet (2nd worst based on the fact he's done nothing so far really) but for this I'll say to exclude him, basing it on all the managers that joined and left us.
My personal opinion and reasons:

Stuart Murdoch: I feel bad for the bloke as he had a bit of a poisoned chalice, but ultimately he was sacked after only 3 months in charge of us as MK Dons.
Danny Wilson: He saved us in 04/05 I know which is personally why I rate him higher than Robbie so far, but the next year we got relegated and an interview with Pete afterwards was quite damning of his commitment to us.
Roberto Di Matteo: A tough one this between RDM and Allen, but I'll go into why I rate Allen higher next. RDM inherited a double winning squad and took it to the next level, almost getting promoted to the championship at the first time of asking.
Martin Allen: He came in after 2 relegations in three years and did wonders with the squad. We only just missed out on automatics and the squad he built was the foundation for arguably our best ever season under...
Paul Ince: I've often said (mainly to annoy Charlton fans) that Paul Ince is our best ever manager, and while there's an argument for it based on the 07/08 double winning season, ultimately his second tenure drags him down for me.
Karl Robinson: Love him or hate him, Karl is our longest serving manager, has seen some of the best players we've had flourish under his leadership and was very highly rated for most of his tenure with us. The last year or so were abysmal I agree, but before that we had two play off campaigns, a cup run in 2012/13 and the first ever win against those lot, before the amazing season of 14/15.

They are just my opinions, I've already seen one tweet with a different list so please, share your own.

Post subject: Re: Worst to Best
PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 2:58 pm 

1 - KR. Genuine love for the club and MK. AFC result and promotion.

2 - Allen. Halted a club in complete crisis and built the foundations from scratch. Assembled the majority of arguably the best side ever to have played in League Two. I genuinely think that squad was capable of competing in the Championship.

Wilson last. Wasnt interested at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:32 pm 

Despite Allen's weaknesses (relying on the long ball, a bit of a bully), the players looked like they gave a xxxx and the contact with the fans was good. Shame he buggered off to Leicester.

Danny Wilson was a really nice guy and we played some decent creative football at times, but he didnt have the consistency and ran out of ideas. On balance not as 'good' as Allen.

Di Matteo should have got us promoted and we played some great attacking football but he buggered off as well and his rapport with the fans was so-so. Eddie Newton was good though. Rate him on a par with Allen for different reasons.

Gorman - Robinson was a good combo which I wished could have been for another year.

Ince 1 miles better than Ince 2

Robbie could be a mix of Wilson and Allen, but lets give him this season.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:36 pm 

Ince Mk I and Ince Mk II should be considered as two different managers.

Ince Mk I knew how to win games and trophies, and comes top.

Ince Mk II knew how to play golf, and comes nearer the bottom.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:45 pm 

Hope Powell was the best manager we never had. Fact.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 01, 2017 11:09 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
familymkdonsfan wrote:
Hope Powell was the best manager we never had. Fact.

Oh, undoubtedly :? With Sir Alex Ferguson, Jose Mourinho and Pep Guardiola a distant 2nd, 3rd and 4th. ;)

Those you mentioned wouldn't have accepted it if they'd been offered it though ;)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 12:42 am 

Wot, no Jimmy Gilligan ? :?

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:41 am 

Can only comment from the JPT so in order:

1st. No question, RDM
2nd. Ince MK1
3rd. Robby
4th. Ince MK2

PostPosted: Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:42 am