THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:45 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: FA Youth cup vs Barnet
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 3:43 pm 

Just in case there's anyone out there who hasn't read the OS blurb entrance to this game is FREE upon presentation of your season ticket at Barnets ticket office. Fantastic gesture that will hopefully provide a few of us to help cheer on our promising looking youngsters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:04 pm 
BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:
Just in case there's anyone out there who hasn't read the OS blurb entrance to this game is FREE upon presentation of your season ticket at Barnets ticket office. Fantastic gesture that will hopefully provide a few of us to help cheer on our promising looking youngsters.

Is anyone going? If so, be good to have a scouting report on Dylan Asonganyi, our 16 year old striker who's been linked with all the major clubs. I know he's been banging in the goals for the Academy so far this season. He could be the first no.9 to break through into first team since Sam Baldock. If he stays that is.

Wasn't Tshimanga a #9? Or do you mean one that becomes a permanent fixture in our starting 11?

Would be good to get another Sam Baldock breaking through.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2017 9:13 pm 

It’s a couple of years since I saw him tear Barcelona under 15’s apart, but he looked more a number 10 than an out and out striker that day. Carried the ball from deep, plenty of tricks and flicks and incredible balance with an eye for a pass.

Anyway, I should be going tomorrow, so will let you know..

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 8:10 am 

Enjoyable evening and plenty to be encouraged about. Overcame conceding an early penalty, got the equaliser and then had several really good chances to lead before the break during which we dominated. Dylan Asonganyi got himself another brace in the second half and we were comfortable throughout and had a few other decent efforts.

The standout performer was Asonganyi. He’s defintely playing as a central striker now, often on his own as his partner (Jay Bird) dropped deep a lot. However that wasn’t an issue as his ball retention was excellent. He’s one of those strikers that plays with his back to goal (watch some of our fans struggle with that!) and relies on good balls into feet that he can turn and beat the defender on. He did it repeatedly last night, or if he didn’t, it was a quick give n go and he was into space. Very strong at backing into the defenders and holding the ball. Reminded me of the way Kenny Dalglish used to play the game (one for the teenagers there :lol: ). I’m sure he won’t be physically strong enough to do that in a central role for us just yet, but his agility will still mean he’s a handful. Add the fact that he can finish too, and we have a bit of a gem on our hands.

As for the others, Kasumu, Tapp, Sole, Bird & Bell all looked really good prospects, but with a fair bit to go yet. I believe I’m right in saying that a lot of those out there are 1st year scholars, so this team has plenty of time to develop over the next eighteen months.

They face Cardiff at home next, some time before the 16th December. Definitely worth watching.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 9:59 am 

Camdenite wrote:
Enjoyable evening and plenty to be encouraged about. Overcame conceding an early penalty, got the equaliser and then had several really good chances to lead before the break during which we dominated. Dylan Asonganyi got himself another brace in the second half and we were comfortable throughout and had a few other decent efforts.

The standout performer was Asonganyi. He’s defintely playing as a central striker now, often on his own as his partner (Jay Bird) dropped deep a lot. However that wasn’t an issue as his ball retention was excellent. He’s one of those strikers that plays with his back to goal (watch some of our fans struggle with that!) and relies on good balls into feet that he can turn and beat the defender on. He did it repeatedly last night, or if he didn’t, it was a quick give n go and he was into space. Very strong at backing into the defenders and holding the ball. Reminded me of the way Kenny Dalglish used to play the game (one for the teenagers there :lol: ). I’m sure he won’t be physically strong enough to do that in a central role for us just yet, but his agility will still mean he’s a handful. Add the fact that he can finish too, and we have a bit of a gem on our hands.

As for the others, Kasumu, Tapp, Sole, Bird & Bell all looked really good prospects, but with a fair bit to go yet. I believe I’m right in saying that a lot of those out there are 1st year scholars, so this team has plenty of time to develop over the next eighteen months.

They face Cardiff at home next, some time before the 16th December. Definitely worth watching.

Happy to read that, cheers Cammy, I just fear that the likes of one of these Premiership Johnnies will come in with some sort of a deal, he or we cannot refuse.
I suppose it’s down to him and his parents to decide our fate, hopefully the Dele story might convince him his future is best with us for the time being.
I’m not entirely sure how we can secure his future with us, is he still a bit young for a pro contract ?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:30 pm 

WellDon wrote:
Happy to read that, cheers Cammy, I just fear that the likes of one of these Premiership Johnnies will come in with some sort of a deal, he or we cannot refuse.
I suppose it’s down to him and his parents to decide our fate, hopefully the Dele story might convince him his future is best with us for the time being.
I’m not entirely sure how we can secure his future with us, is he still a bit young for a pro contract ?

You can sign professionally on your seventeen birthday (There can also be a written agreement to start the contract on your 17th birthday - although that's not the same thing and I have no idea how much protection it would really give a club like us?).

It was widely reported that DA turns seventeen this month some time.

However, he's still only a first year scholar, so could feasibly stay with us another eighteen months or so before we actually have to make a decision on his future. I doubt that'll be the case though.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 1:54 pm 

Camdenite wrote:
WellDon wrote:

You can sign professionally on your seventeen birthday (There can also be a written agreement to start the contract on your 17th birthday - although that's not the same thing and I have no idea how much protection it would really give a club like us?).

It was widely reported that DA turns seventeen this month some time.

However, he's still only a first year scholar, so could feasibly stay with us another eighteen months or so before we actually have to make a decision on his future. I doubt that'll be the case though.

Get him signed to a pro contract asap, because iirc if he is still a scholar he can taken by another club under the piracy rules (EPPP) for a pittance.
There are a few current U18s I would hold onto, let's hope PW keeps them on.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2017 5:55 pm 

Good report Camdenite and nothing I would disagree with, but then again I was sitting next to you. Dalglish, eh?

Very enjoyable game and well worth those who can make it going to the next round at Stadium MK.

One other player that caught the eye was our left back, Matt Sorinola. Plenty tenacity there.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 1:12 pm 

HarpenDon wrote:
Good report Camdenite and nothing I would disagree with, but then again I was sitting next to you. Dalglish, eh?

Very enjoyable game and well worth those who can make it going to the next round at Stadium MK.

One other player that caught the eye was our left back, Matt Sorinola. Plenty tenacity there.

Good to meet you too, Sir.

Admittedly a long way to go before he could be described in King Kenny’s class, but the way he shielded the ball, his excellent touch and agility enabling him to shift the ball and create something was who he most reminded me of.

Not sure why I forgot Sorinola :oops: He was excellent too.