THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 3:09 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Dele Alli
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:11 am 

I don't recollect us in recent times having a proper debate on TCR about whether we sold Dele at the right time and for the right amount. Either with, or without, hindsight, was it the right call?

Post subject: Re: Dele Alli
PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:14 am 

:roll:

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:22 am 

Erm, yes. And it was the right amount.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 11:27 am 

Fair enough price for an unproven player. As with all transfer like this the sell on clause is the key.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:48 pm 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
familymkdonsfan wrote:
I don't recollect us in recent times having a proper debate on TCR about whether we sold Dele at the right time and for the right amount. Either with, or without, hindsight, was it the right call?

I don't think we had much of a say on the timing, when Tottenham came on he had to go; at least we kept him till the summer. I think we should have got a bit more for him though as not long after Alli went, Everton paid around £10m to league one Charlton for Adempla Lookman, and Alli has proved to be much the better player. At least we've got a decent sell on clause.

It must be a fair sell on clause because John Cove was saying yesterday in Club Red that him and Pete can’t wait till the world transfer fee is broken and are praying for for it to happen soon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 2:53 pm 

familymkdonsfan wrote:

Troublemaker. ;)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 6:56 pm 

familymkdonsfan wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Good one. Like it.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:04 am 

I always said if Chamberlain went for £12m, we shouldn't have sold for less. I'll take it all back if we get £18m+ as a sell on clause however

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2017 2:12 pm 

I’m still baffled people do this thing. You can’t compare what one player left for and what another should go for. If we get offered £5m max for a footballer plus great sell on clauses then we have to accept that. If Southampton are happy accepting £15 for a 16 year old then that’s up to them. Equally what Tottenham are willing to not pay, we can’t ask them to choke up another 10+m and play hard ball as a League One club. If they didn’t feel he was worth anywhere over £5m and we start demanding £10m+ more, they’d just go “Haha fuck off” and leave. And Dele rolls his ankle the next weekend and gets injured never to be the same again? Or he stays with us in the championship and doesn’t perform?? We’ve lost £5m which for us is crazy money especially 3 years ago.

If we’d literally said “Oxlade-Chamberlain left for £16m. We should, and demand the same if not more.” Daniel Levy would be like “yeah. We didn’t pay £16m for Oxnard-Chamberlain. We aren’t Arsenal. Want £16m? Ask Arsenal to pay it.”

Arsenal, who weren’t properly interested in Dele Alli as far as reports went.

Apparently.

UTF