THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:12 pm

All times are UTC

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 37  Next
PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:45 am 

I’d rather sign good players than sign ordinary players just for the sake of signing players. It isn’t easy. Just because others are signing players doesn’t mean they’re good players. Remember that these guys will be on 2/3 year contracts. And if they’re shit they’re hard to shift. We’ve gotta be sure here.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:14 am 

I never said that the players they signed were shit I said I don’t want us to sign ordinary players which we could be vulnerable to doing out of desperation and have them on contracts we can’t shake off.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 8:57 am 

Alby wrote:
I never said that the players they signed were shit I said I don’t want us to sign ordinary players which we could be vulnerable to doing out of desperation and have them on contracts we can’t shake off.

The problem is that as the window closes all the good players available for permenant will be snapped up, and only the "ordinary" will be left, unless we are able to dig deep and come up with a transfer budget like we never have before.

The fact is that we don't seem to project that we have ambition to greater things, so we are not attracting ambitious good footballers who want to play for us, we get people who either no-one else wants or are injured, or see it as a stepping stone.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:11 am 

Let's not forget we have one pretty much ready to go, that's just waiting for further shifts up the chain.

Oldham have had 3 come in, but 5 or 6 go out. So there's a case that they haven't strengthened yet.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:34 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Towcestrian wrote:
Let's not forget we have one pretty much ready to go, that's just waiting for further shifts up the chain.

Oldham have had 3 come in, but 5 or 6 go out. So there's a case that they haven't strengthened yet.

That's true. We've certainly still got time to make it a decent transfer window. It just would have been ideal to get them in early as January is a big month for us fixture wise with two FA Cup games and two big six-pointers v Kingston and Northampton. Just hope we have more success in the 2nd half of the month (I'm only expecting loans, but I hope there's some experienced loans and not just all kids).

Agree on experienced heads. We got one last Jan who was pretty good.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:13 pm 
Not a single sniff of a rumour anywhere.

Anyone else thinking the club are going to leave most of our business until deadline day and fall short?

Probably our biggest need for players in years and we seem to be happy to be patient. What happened to getting players in and giving them time to gel, or are we just going to write off February and the rest of January for that purpose?

No doubt it will be a couple of loanees that we cant hang on to past the summer.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 3:36 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:

Anyone else thinking the club are going to leave most of our business until deadline day and fall short?

Probably our biggest need for players in years and we seem to be happy to be patient. What happened to getting players in and giving them time to gel, or are we just going to write off February and the rest of January for that purpose?

No doubt it will be a couple of loanees that we cant hang on to past the summer.

There wasn't with the Ugbo deal in fairness. Or any other deal we have done recently unless the player has come from Scotland.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:00 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:

Let's look at last year.

19/1 Muirhead
20/1 Barnes
30/1 Ngombo
31/1 O'Keefe

It suggests late activity. Of course if we get a Barnes and an O'Keefe I wouldn't complain but they will have to hit the ground running. I didn't see the QPR game so I don't know how good Ugbo is but hopefully he'll deliver. Also Sow may finally get a string of games for us which will feel like a new signing.

We have signed two Academy players to the Senior team too.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:03 pm 

Don Direction wrote:
FilthyDon wrote:

Let's look at last year.

19/1 Muirhead
20/1 Barnes
30/1 Ngombo
31/1 O'Keefe

So the moral is don't sign the 1st player but sign the 2nd player a day later.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 4:30 pm 

FilthyDon wrote:

Any luck with finding a woman yet Filthy? That would pull you out of this pit of despondancy.

#swiperightforfilthy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 361 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20 ... 37  Next