THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:26 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Chuks Replacement
PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 8:33 am 

Runyak Huntz wrote:
Alby wrote:
I don’t know. I trust the paid scouts are better at identifying these players than me based on stats and one or two viewings.

This should in a big banner in flashing letters at the top of every page of the forum as a helpful hint when people are thinking of posting expert opinions.

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:16 am 

Runyak Huntz wrote:
This should in a big banner in flashing letters at the top of every page of the forum as a helpful hint when people are thinking of posting expert opinions.

Who said anything about expert opinion? I'm posting as a fan, the calibre of player I'd like to see come in to replace him.

I don't think you get how this forum thing works.

As TomMac&Ernie said, you're also talking about the same 'expert opinion' that signed players like Benavente, Aguza, Harley, Church, N'gombo, Sietsma and all the numerous other duds over the years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:55 am 

What about Padraig Amond?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 9:58 am 

gary4dons wrote:
What about Padraig Amond?

He signed a new deal at Newport a couple of months ago, and he's 31. Seems comfortable there. Don't think he'd be a good investment tbh.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:31 am 

APMKDon wrote:
My guess is Stockley, only appeared 8 times for Preston since signing. Not sure if he was injured but he's 26 now and needs to be playing.
plus hes played for Tis before.

Hasn't scored for Preston either. Looks like championship was a step too far but would b ok in league 1

Registered 3 goals and an assist in 17 for PNE and featured every game bar three, will be an important part of their setup next season if Robinson leaves.

Think we'll have to wait to see a replacement for Aneke, and we'll struggle to find someone of that ilk that is willing to jump to a newly promoted side. Likely we'll see a Prem loanee come in who can hopefully somewhat fill his boots.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 10:47 am 

Filthy wrote:

I absolutely do and you've just proved it. :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 3:14 pm 

And podcasts to the professionals. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:22 pm 

Filthy wrote:
Runyak Huntz wrote:

Who said anything about expert opinion? I'm posting as a fan, the calibre of player I'd like to see come in to replace him.

As TomMac&Ernie said, you're also talking about the same 'expert opinion' that signed players like Benavente, Aguza, Harley, Church, N'gombo, Sietsma and all the numerous other duds over the years.

None of those players were brought into the clu to be the figurehead like Aneke was.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 6:32 pm 

Alby wrote:
Filthy wrote:
Runyak Huntz wrote:

None of those players were brought into the clu to be the figurehead like Aneke was.

Don't know what point you're trying to make there. We spent over a million (apparently) bringing Benavente and Aguza to England, I doubt when that was approved they didn't hope either of them would become a key player for us as much as Aneke.

My point was that so called 'experts' involved in scouting and bringing in players still target players that turn out to be total and utter failures in some cases. It's pot luck much of it. Think all of us fans wouldn't have picked chosen Church or Harley for example, yet professional scouts and our recruitment department seem to ignore all the warning signs and go for them.

I just hope our recruitment department are looking at established goalscorers and not gambles. Seem to remember a quote from Tis that he wanted to focus on defence first, then attack later. He certainly strengthened our defence last season overall, so this season should have been about focusing on attack. So far, we're weaker in attack than last season.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 29, 2019 7:43 pm 

Who told you Aguza and Benavente were £1m+? First I’ve heard of it.

Scouts make wrong moves. For every bad move there is a good move and vice verse. Not every move will be perfect. Championship season was a tricky one, as Church was brought in as squad filler and ultimately we relied on him for half a season to grab us our goals.
We didn’t have a budget that allowed us much more than Simon Church, same as last season with Harley. We didn’t have a great budget so tried and tested (with Tis) was worth the gamble and it worked.

Not every signed player is a dud or a world beater. Finding a Chuks like influence will be difficult as every single club in our league will want one. And we haven’t got the money to compete with some clubs in our division.

Apparently.

UTF