THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 3:53 pm

All times are UTC

Post subject: Re: Aneke to Charlton
PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:09 am 

Otterspocket wrote:
I'll be amazed if Bowery isn't Chuks replacement. Or at least the part of the season where Chuks was coming on for 20-30 minutes, I don't think Mason would be with us without assurances of game time either. So allowing for Agard staying and Tis appearing to play 2 up front, Realistically there's probably only the space for a sub/ reserve striker. I'd be happy if we left replacing him for now, give Asonganyi and Nombe a fair crack by playing them in the Check a trade and rotate them on the bench. If we're serious about growing our own players they need game time eventually.

As others pointed out to me, judging by his interview it seems he was brought in on the understanding he wouldn't possibly get as much game time as he did at Crewe - which others have translated as him being a Robbie Simpson replacement. I really hope that's the case - he would be a clear step up from Simpson, but given his scoring record he's not at the level to be a L1 team's first choice forward, especially a team like us who I would think would be aiming for at least top half. Nowhere near Aneke's level, nor Agard's.

Mason is a complete unknown at this level, he could smash it and get 20+ goals, but equally he could be the next Tom Hitchcock, barely play and forgotten about in a couple of years.

Considering Agard's best season in L1 for us he scored 12 goals and that was with creative players like Aneke, Reeves, Carruthers, Barnes playing near him. We don't have anywhere near that level of creativity in the squad now (just Gilbey really), which is why it's even more important we bring in another capable striker and possibly a couple of more creative mids.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:38 am 

Filthy wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Of course we've taken a step back. Very unlikely we can afford someone as good as him. That's just the way it is.

As I said, we probably aren't going to get someone as good as him. But if Tisdale thinks a couple of D'Aths/Harleys/Bowerys between now and August will suffice, we're going to struggle with goals next season.

Clearly we're not going to get another Chuks, but we do need to be signing a player that will excite fans when announced, that will make a big contribution next season and makes fans feel as though at least the club made a good attempt to fill that gap.

Indeed, D'ath/Harleys may aswell sit in bloody non-league, i can't stand either of those two.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:21 pm 

Filthy wrote:
Otterspocket wrote:
I'll be amazed if Bowery isn't Chuks replacement. Or at least the part of the season where Chuks was coming on for 20-30 minutes, I don't think Mason would be with us without assurances of game time either. So allowing for Agard staying and Tis appearing to play 2 up front, Realistically there's probably only the space for a sub/ reserve striker. I'd be happy if we left replacing him for now, give Asonganyi and Nombe a fair crack by playing them in the Check a trade and rotate them on the bench. If we're serious about growing our own players they need game time eventually.

As others pointed out to me, judging by his interview it seems he was brought in on the understanding he wouldn't possibly get as much game time as he did at Crewe - which others have translated as him being a Robbie Simpson replacement. I really hope that's the case - he would be a clear step up from Simpson, but given his scoring record he's not at the level to be a L1 team's first choice forward, especially a team like us who I would think would be aiming for at least top half. Nowhere near Aneke's level, nor Agard's.

Mason is a complete unknown at this level, he could smash it and get 20+ goals, but equally he could be the next Tom Hitchcock, barely play and forgotten about in a couple of years.

Considering Agard's best season in L1 for us he scored 12 goals and that was with creative players like Aneke, Reeves, Carruthers, Barnes playing near him. We don't have anywhere near that level of creativity in the squad now (just Gilbey really), which is why it's even more important we bring in another capable striker and possibly a couple of more creative mids.

completely agree, apart from Gilbey we don't have midfielders with the vision, attacking capability and passing talents to unlock defences with creativity. also having plays like D'ath and Harley really doesn't help.