THE CONCRETE ROUNDABOUT (TCR)

The Unofficial MK Dons Forum. Discuss and debate all things Dons
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 3:40 am

All times are UTC

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:38 am 

Wonder what Pete will decide? Always likely to pull a ‘rabbit out of the hat’ on lots of things Dons related…

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:44 am 

Surely. This time...it's got to be 'safe pair of hands'. :? :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:52 am 

familymkdonsfan wrote:
Wonder what Pete will decide? Always likely to pull a ‘rabbit out of the hat’ on lots of things Dons related…

Not sure how involved Pete will be this time. Liam Sweeting will be managing most of it and if his managerial recruitment is as strong as his player recruitment, we’re in safe hands.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 7:58 am 

The new manager could be experienced or another rookie, but all I care about really is finding someone with a philosophy that fits the current squad. 5 at the back with wing backs etc. We haven't really got the squad to be cropping and changing formations too much and for all his hypocrisy and lies, Russ had set us up to be in a good way this season.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:12 am 

I'm chucking Darren Potter into the ring, a typical Pete type of appointment.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:15 am 

Woburn wrote:

Yeah, I asked Skybet for odds on him on Sunday. Would not be surprised at all.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:30 am 

DippyDon wrote:
The new manager could be experienced or another rookie, but all I care about really is finding someone with a philosophy that fits the current squad. 5 at the back with wing backs etc. We haven't really got the squad to be cropping and changing formations too much and for all his hypocrisy and lies, Russ had set us up to be in a good way this season.

I actually think the players we have in the current squad could be used pretty well in a 4-2-3-1 system (Robbo style with inverted wingers). Harvie and Watson would both be solid as fullbacks. Big Dave and Josh Mch sitting deeper in midfield and then Twine, Josh Martin (if his loan isn't cancelled) and O'Riley rotating in the more advanced 3. We would certainly be short on width within the squad depth, but I think on paper our starting 11 would look pretty strong.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 8:43 am 
As long as we can keep the players we have, I don't think it matters if the manager is experienced enough at this level as we have an above average squad for this level for sure. A good manager will be able to make the most out of the squad he has and fit them to his style. It might be something we're not used to, maybe even a complete contrast to the possession-based style, but there's more than one way to play the game.

Our squad is definitely set up to be more attacking though, even our CBs like to get forward.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:09 am 

One thing we must not ignore is the role of the manager in bringing cohesion and unity to a group of players. Russell and his team seemed to get the players believing in themselves and working for one another. He emphasised the importance of hard work and the right attitude of the players he selected. He has created "his" team. It will be crucial for the dynamics of the team to get a manager and coaching staff who can relate in a similar manor. We have seen in recent history how someone not just with the wrong style of play but different management style can destroy a team no matter how skillful the player are. Choosing the right man to follow Russell will be quite a task as the trust of the players must be very low.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 03, 2021 9:51 am 

LouisMKD wrote:
Woburn wrote:

Yeah, I asked Skybet for odds on him on Sunday. Would not be surprised at all.

If Potter had been here as an assistant then I'd be fine with that. But he's been gone a long time and despite having his badges, do any of us know his style? Or what he's been doing in the year he's been retired?

Just because he's a Dons man doesn't mean it'll be a remotely good appointment

- Graham Alexander, October 2023