It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 3:19 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Bury
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:48 pm 

Looking more hopeful for them:-

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49455433

Post subject: Re: Bury
PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 9:53 pm 

Sounds like progress. Think the EFL said even if a buyer was found they'd only have another 24-48 hours extension to close it. Personally I'm fed up with it all and think Bury should have been kicked out weeks ago - it shouldn't have been allowed to impact on other clubs, now there are 5 other clubs with re-arranged fixtures to play with a more prepared Bury side.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:41 am 

Wrong section. Reported.

Apparently.

UTF

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:55 am 

BertieWoostersDonsClub wrote:
Filthy wrote:
Sounds like progress. Think the EFL said even if a buyer was found they'd only have another 24-48 hours extension to close it. Personally I'm fed up with it all and think Bury should have been kicked out weeks ago - it shouldn't have been allowed to impact on other clubs, now there are 5 other clubs with re-arranged fixtures to play with a more prepared Bury side.

Yip, that's been my issue with the ongoing process.
I totally get why kicking a team out of the league and down a number of levels should be the last resort, and why the EFL would give them a long time to try to sort it out. And that's why, for the ideal scenario long term, we've had less than ideal short term instances with points deductions, matches suspended, a match postponed by a club without consulting anyone else, a team being awarded a cup win without the game taking place, etc.
It's an incredibly difficult situation for the EFL, but I do think the only teams that have had no consideration in all this are those innocent teams who have had games suspended through no fault of their own and entirely the fault of Bury (and Bolton in one instance). If it had been an illness sweeping through the squad, or an unplayable surface due to the weather, then Bury would be innocent victims too. But when it's been entirely their own fault that they can't fulfil the arranged fixtures, then I do think it's a little unfair on the other teams that they now potentially have to fit in an extra midweek game somewhere later in the season.
I understand that other teams in the league would have probably complained if they'd started awarding 3 points to Bury's scheduled opponents, in the same way that they've awarded the cup game to Sheffield Wednesday without it taking place, but that does mean it seems that the only teams who are not being taking into account in all this are the innocent league opponents who have been inconvenienced by an issue entirely of Bury (and Bolton's) own making.

The EFL are damned if they do and damned if they don’t.

They’ve tried everything possible to enable Bury to survive. Yes, that’s caused other problems within the league and for other clubs. On balance, I think they’ve got it right.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 10:55 am 

Perhaps they should just suspend them for a year and let them restart in league 2 if they manage to sort themselves out.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:34 pm 

epdon wrote:
Perhaps they should just suspend them for a year and let them restart in league 2 if they manage to sort themselves out.

Yes. Them and Bolton. It would seem to make a lot of sense. One season to get your house in order.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:46 pm 

epdon wrote:

Cowley said the same thing. But apparently they have a great squad lined up, sounds like Dale bollocks to me though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 1:55 pm 

Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
epdon wrote:

Yes. Them and Bolton. It would seem to make a lot of sense. One season to get your house in order.

A year with no income? What would the players do?

That would push them over.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 3:32 pm 

dons50 wrote:
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
epdon wrote:

I think the idea is that they don’t have any players for a year.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:09 pm 

Don Direction wrote:
dons50 wrote:
Dad_Of_A_Don wrote:
epdon wrote:

I think the idea is that they don’t have any players for a year.

Yes, they don't have any now. And as for no income - they wouldn't have any if they are thrown out completely. This is about trying to make the best of a situation. If it doesnt work, they are out anyway as they would have been in the first place.